• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Problem with 2007 steering wheel controls

Doug B

I just purchased a (mildly) used '07 about a week ago.? In the past week, my XM reception has been lost due to "communication failure" and restored three times.? The condition lasts from a matter of minutes to hours.?

During each episode, the steering wheel volume, channel up, down, etc. controls are all disabled.? They will not function with AM, FM, or CD sources even though the sources all play fine.?

Does anyone know if the steering wheel remote unit's signal to the head unit has anything to do with the XM antenna?? Is steering wheel remote available with the stock head unit?? My dealer is puzzled and waiting for it to fail completely before they'll troubleshoot.

I've had that situation happen once. I did a remote start on the AV and my XM said "Communication Error". But none of the controls for the system would work on the steering wheel. I shut the truck off and pulled my keys and opened the driver door and the audio system remained on without turning off. I then restarted the truck and the NAV screen went blank and it stayed that way. I let the truck set for a couple of hours and it has worked fine ever since.

I just had this happen a few weeks ago. Will be going into the dealer sometime to find out what the deal is. What did you guys find to be the problem with yours?

Back