Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
04/19/14 10:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas milage killing me. Any suggestion to Improve  (Read 39508 times)
green

Awards
« on: 07/14/06 07:54 AM »

1500 av Z-71 with 4.10 gears. Still stock other than grille guard and F Keys. Averages 12.5 miles per gallon all around. Can get 15 while on hi way. Gas prices going up, love my truck but cost too much to drive. Any suggestions to improve fuel econ without messing up warranty? Is 12.5 a good average with this setup?

05 Bermuda Blue LT Z-71 Loaded, Mannik SS grille guard
RichUF
CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member

UNP1MPD

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 07/14/06 07:58 AM »

my coworker with an '05 Z71 gets nearly 20 on his commute.

The 4.10 gears are not helping you I suspect.

The first, and possibly only non-negligible change would likely be from changing  how you drive.  Ease up some and see if it helps.

[sig deleted by Admin...your account is next to go]
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 07/14/06 08:03 AM »

do not smash gas pedal ...

Baby it..
drive like granny...

put brick under gas pedal...hehehe

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
HuntOhio

Warning...My Avalanche actually goes off road.

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: 07/14/06 08:07 AM »

I am not sure about the gearing issue?  I get around 15 mpg city and around 20mpg on hwy.  This is with very easy driving without stomping at every light and using cruise control every chance I can.
Your mileage seems bad...I am looking into a inexpensive mod to change to a K&N air filter and maybe a new computer chip.  These can always be changed back and should not hurt the warranty.  Also it is fairly inexpensive to do.
My mechanic told me I should pick up 3 miles per gallon doing this.
Have you checked your tire pressure lately?

2002 Z71, Pewter, numerous factory options, amber DRLs, vent visors, 4 fender mod, future treated cladding, four on high.
RichUF

UNP1MPD

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 07/14/06 08:08 AM »

...My mechanic told me I should pick up 3 miles per gallon doing this.
Have you checked your tire pressure lately?

Don't count on a 3mpg increase.

the tire pressure is a very good point, however.

MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 07/14/06 08:21 AM »

I agree with the K&N air filter I have a AEM Brute Force and I make a world of difference, I drive mainly on roads above 50 mph and it seems to be around 16-18 mpg. In stop and go traffic it not noticeable at all. I have the 2500 and I think thats good.
green

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 07/14/06 08:29 AM »

I do baby this ride. I drive 14 miles to work, takes about 25 min. I have even asked dealership if something was wrong? response it is within range.

ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 07/14/06 08:31 AM »

I do baby this ride. I drive 14 miles to work, takes about 25 min. I have even asked dealership if something was wrong? response it is within range.
well that is avg speed of 33.6 mph which is city driving....

so I bet lots of stop and go...which is when you will get crappy mpg...

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
FlaBouy

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 07/14/06 08:38 AM »

Tune, CAI, and exhaust mods will get you 2-3 mpg....Seen it a lot....the tune will be the best in the bunch... I was seeing 17-18 mpg on my 04 z-71 with the blower, 42# injectors and stock motor.... with stock injectors and a custom tune, 17 hwy should be easy....if you drive easy...

around town....fuggittaboutit...... Cheesy
FAME2002

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 07/14/06 09:07 AM »

When I accelerate in my avy, I keep the RPMS under 2000, its very slow to accelerate, but it really helps the gas mileage, the lower your rpms the less gas youre going to use, when getting on the highway or wherever you just have to accelerate as slow as possible. The people behind you will hate you....but theyre not paying for your gas!
FlaBouy

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 07/14/06 09:10 AM »

When I accelerate in my avy, I keep the RPMS under 2000, its very slow to accelerate, but it really helps the gas mileage, the lower your rpms the less gas youre going to use, when getting on the highway or wherever you just have to accelerate as slow as possible. The people behind you will hate you....but theyre not paying for your gas!

Good pointer......

Hehe....I am trying to remember the last time I could keep my rpm's below 2000......

hard to do with a 2600 stall....... of course I quit worrying about gas mileage a long time ago.......
farmguy

Don't Mess with Texas

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 07/14/06 09:15 AM »

While there are a number of mods you can do that will marginally increase mpg, the most significant is change your driving habits. Use the cruise, slow down, easy on the gas, don't touch the brake unless you absolutely have to.

But the bottom line is don't buy an Avalanche for fuel economy. If that's your priority get a Civic or a Prius. If you want to enjoy the advantages of the AV, you gotta pay to play.

'06 LT. Texas Bowtie, Jayhawk Hitch cover,  Amber DRLs, Magellan GPS, backup cam, Line of Fire, Chrome letter overlays, Cherry Bomb Glasspack, Bowtie Exhaust tip,Vent Visors, Bug Shield, Billet Grille, Halo Headlights, dark tinted windows, Sail panel LED's, Backup Sensors. Chrome 20's.
DESERTAV

Got Birds?

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 07/14/06 09:25 AM »

I have a 65 in lift running 35 and I get about 15.5 city and 20 highway.  I changed my air filter to a K&N cold air induction and I am running a Hypertech power programmer.  Those 2 mods should help out a lot. Check the tire pressure it can kill your mpg

2003 Z71 WBH,  Superlift FIT lift and 3 inch Body Lift, 37 Inch Toyo Mud's, 4:88 Gears,AEM cold air intake, Superchips programmer,And the almighty Buck Stop Pre-runner Bumper, Ram Air hood, and too much else to list!
FlaBouy

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 07/14/06 09:37 AM »

I have a 65 in lift running 35 and I get about 15.5 city and 20 highway.  I changed my air filter to a K&N cold air induction and I am running a Hypertech power programmer.  Those 2 mods should help out a lot. Check the tire pressure it can kill your mpg

I would love to see that 65" lift..........
RichUF

UNP1MPD

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 07/14/06 09:40 AM »

what's your cruising speed over those 14 miles to work?  Interstate @ 70?

hate to say it, but 55-60 would help you out.

My 14 mile cruise to work in my '03 AV got me about 14 or 15.  About all I was using AV for 99% of the time, which is part of why I got rid of it Undecided

MrJim
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Avatar? I thought you said "Have a Car"?

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 07/14/06 10:08 AM »

Green,

I have a similar commute thru town - 12 miles (each way) and 18 (yes, 18!) traffic lights! banghead A normal week will also see me put about  40-50 highway miles on he clock.  Normal weekly gas mileage is about 15 MPG veryveryangry .  Last month, my volunteer work took me out some country highways as well as the interstate and I got nearly 21 MPG.  My conclusions:

1. Our beloved AV is not optimized for city commuting.

2.  Big trucks with (relatively) big engines will not get stellar gas mileage, regardless.

3. Little cars with little engines will always get better gas mileage.

4. Little cars are easiled smushed by big trucks.

5. I don't want to get smushed.

It's kinda like death and taxes, except you do get some choice.

MrJim

'03 Summit White 1500 4x4. Amber's, Silverstars, 50w backups, Bugflector II, WeatheFlectors, Club Decal, more...
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 07/14/06 10:13 AM »

1. Our beloved AV is not optimized for city commuting.

2. Big trucks with (relatively) big engines will not get stellar gas mileage, regardless.

3. Little cars with little engines will always get better gas mileage.

4. Little cars are easiled smushed by big trucks.

5. I don't want to get smushed.

It's kinda like death and taxes, except you do get some choice.

MrJim
that was well put .....hehehe

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
DESERTAV

Got Birds?

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 07/14/06 10:25 AM »

Sorry made a typo its a 6 in lift  Big laughter with tears Big laughter with tears Big laughter with tears Big laughter with tears Big laughter with tears

2003 Z71 WBH,  Superlift FIT lift and 3 inch Body Lift, 37 Inch Toyo Mud's, 4:88 Gears,AEM cold air intake, Superchips programmer,And the almighty Buck Stop Pre-runner Bumper, Ram Air hood, and too much else to list!
green

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 07/14/06 11:19 AM »

Ok, I am not a dumb A$$. I did not expect to get great MPG or I would have bought a small car. My last vehicle was a Chevy Crew 4X4 and it got close to 15.5 on the same commute. I would hope this one would be the same. AS for air pressure, I keep it serviced at the dealership. I wonder if the grille guard is affecting the dynamics. Does a K&M filter make a real difference, I saw the show on Dateline NBC that did not show any after market stuff helping any truck?
I have tried the 55 mph and it made no real difference in overall fuel economy on a tank of gas because I am only on the Hi way about 3 miles each way.
I love my slut but when gas gets to $4.00 per gallon love will fade fast, and we all know that $4.00 is not that far away.

RichUF

UNP1MPD

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 07/14/06 11:25 AM »

If I were doing what you describe and getting the mileage that you report, I'd take it back to the service department and complain some more.

HuntOhio

Warning...My Avalanche actually goes off road.

WWW Awards
« Reply #20 on: 07/14/06 11:45 AM »

On a city commute I do not think the K&N filter would help you all that much.  A different computer chip may not help all that much either.  You may pick up 1MPG.
You would see the biggest difference on a hwy drive.
I also do not agree with all these guys that make mods to their exhaust and say they get all this extra power and killer gas milage.  These modern engines need the back pressure to run efficiently.

2002 Z71, Pewter, numerous factory options, amber DRLs, vent visors, 4 fender mod, future treated cladding, four on high.
FAME2002

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 07/14/06 11:49 AM »

If I were doing what you describe and getting the mileage that you report, I'd take it back to the service department and complain some more.

I agree-
I can drive my 05 avy like a corvette, stomping on the gas, and I get 14-14.5mpg.  If youre getting 12-12.5 something is wrong.
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 07/14/06 12:00 PM »

How are you figuring your MPG?

The computer thingy on dash?

or

Divide miles driven on tank by amount of full fuel fill??

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
green

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 07/14/06 12:25 PM »

I am using both the computer on the dash as well as fuel fill up to miles math.

FlaBouy

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 07/14/06 12:57 PM »

On a city commute I do not think the K&N filter would help you all that much.  A different computer chip may not help all that much either.  You may pick up 1MPG.
You would see the biggest difference on a hwy drive.
I also do not agree with all these guys that make mods to their exhaust and say they get all this extra power and killer gas milage.  These modern engines need the back pressure to run efficiently.

A-h-h-h-h a pessimist....would you believe actual log data from the HP Tuners datalogs that show increased airflow from certain mods including exhaust, CAI, power adders, etc... while driving in real world conditions, and not on a dyno...? Couple that with dyno charts to prove the power, and simple math to figure out gas consumption....

A good tune will increase your mpg from stock levels about 2-3mpg on the highway... Look up a posting on this site by a guy named farmtruc..... He is a professional tuner that also owns an AV..... he has tuned his own 2005 AV to get 19.1 mpg....

BTW with 19.1 mpg his bolt on mods get him the following at the track:

2.12 60'
8.99 1/8
79.77mph 1/8
13.93 1/4
97mph 1/4

Not bad for a inefficient 5800 lb truck in my opinion....  the ultimate "exhaust mod"............

BTW don't take my word for it........

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,63586.0.html

« Last Edit: 07/14/06 01:04 PM by FlaBouy » Logged
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #25 on: 07/14/06 01:21 PM »

Another thing you may want to try, (I know everyone is going to said it doesn't matter) I assume you are not running the AC, drive without the back window in
I feel in mine it makes the truck more stable and I feel it makes the truck more aerodynamic and it's a lot cooler inside.

This is my seat of the pants gut feel
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #26 on: 07/14/06 01:29 PM »

drive with out AC...  dead Bad idea

you have never been down south before...hehehe

you would melt without AC...hehehe

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
FlaBouy

Awards
« Reply #27 on: 07/14/06 01:39 PM »

NO A/C......  Shocked

Ban Him

hehe j/k

You know though.....GM did have a reason for making the rear glass removable.....
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #28 on: 07/14/06 01:48 PM »

I guess in Florida the rear glass thing may not be a good idea but maybe at night or early in the morning you may want to give it a try. I did it today but in Michigan
it's only 90 degrees and 64% humidity
green

Awards
« Reply #29 on: 07/14/06 02:09 PM »

Why have a slut. Should have bought a Work Truck if you want to ride around with windows down.

FlaBouy

Awards
« Reply #30 on: 07/14/06 02:11 PM »

Why have a slut. Should have bought a Work Truck if you want to ride around with windows down.

Ouch..... Shocked

I think I am going to like this guy.......
EricB

Baseball time!

Awards
« Reply #31 on: 07/20/06 11:49 AM »

If you like the without rear window idea, I'm working on a screen that can't be cut with a knife to go in there!  I'll post some pics when I get it done.  Should be in the next week or two.
DanGTO
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Detroit

Awards
« Reply #32 on: 07/31/06 03:01 PM »

Another thing you may want to try, (I know everyone is going to said it doesn't matter) I assume you are not running the AC, drive without the back window in
I feel in mine it makes the truck more stable and I feel it makes the truck more aerodynamic and it's a lot cooler inside.

This is my seat of the pants gut feel

Back window out is nice, if you go down the highway etc.  City, too much of a hassle, especially in Southfield  Tongue

I am in Southfield now.  Black 02 + ambers.. Wave

Dan
Av: 2013 FGM Black Diamond Z71 & *SOLD*Modified 2002 Z71...miss it daily
1971 Pontiac LeMans Hardtop GT-37 clone
2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - Stock
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP SBM - Modified
2009 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sportcombi - Stock
1988 Volvo 740 Turbo - Modified
black jack 05

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 08/01/06 06:49 PM »

well on my 02 i got 20 mpg highway now thats with afe intake, throttle body spacer  bosch pat plus 4 plugs and corsa cat back and with ac off.  now on my 05 ive been getting 19mpg highway and with afe intake tire psi at 40 and ac off. i drive the speed limit. now the only other dif between the two besides mods is rear 02 has 375 and 05 has 3:42 . now i know all you are asking florida and not running ac , well i leave for work at 6am cool outside and run the fan with reci on and come home at night.

2002 chevy av z71, cladded , mods corsa cat back ,throttle body spacer, afe intake, edelbrock shocks traded in july 06                                                 2005 chevy av z71 lt, cladded , afe intake                2005 pontiac gto slp lt headers, corsa cat back, cs performance intake,m6
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #34 on: 08/02/06 03:27 AM »

Still hot out any time of day & humid too..

AC baby is more then worth loss in MPG...for me

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
ak_abes
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Me--Germany; Av--TX

Awards
« Reply #35 on: 08/07/06 06:43 PM »

now i know all you are asking florida and not running ac , well i leave for work at 6am cool outside and run the fan with reci on and come home at night.

On the '05 doesn't the A/C come on with the recirc?  I thought I read that in the manual.

I have an '05 with CAI, performance muffler (AT3030), stock small rear end.  I have a 12mi commute, mostly highway 70 mph.  Average 17.5 with A/c on.
« Last Edit: 08/07/06 06:46 PM by aknut1 » Logged

'05 SBM WBH:  Amber DRL, ventvisors, hood deflector, mac intake, westin oval steps, AT 3030 exhaust, sail panel lights, chrome tail lights, coachworks billet grill, Halo Projector Headlights, Escalade Chrome Handles, American Racing Remx Rims
O_Baterisssta

Drummers are better bangers

Awards
« Reply #36 on: 11/13/06 06:51 AM »

I have an 06 WBH 2wd. Intake and flowmaster 40 dual exhaust are my only mods so far. It kinda depends on where you live also. I live in a 'suburb' of Los Angeles, and it's kinda hilly I guess. I get about 17-18mpg both highway and city. I drove to Vegas between 75-80mph and got about 19-20mpg. I'm not really heavy on the pedal, only if I want to be  or if a cute girl is stopped right next to me.

"Well, that's just like, your opinion...man."
cadboy1
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #37 on: 11/13/06 05:59 PM »

Maybe the gas mileage finally killed him..He never posted again Huh

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
GPM1972
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 11/13/06 09:49 PM »

I've got an 02 Z71 with 4.10s.   I've got nearly 80,000 miles on the clock,  About 10,000 miles ago I switched from Penzoil 5W30 to Mobil 1 5W30 and picked up an overall average of 2 mpg.  Most notable on the interstate where I've gone from less than 16 mpg @ avg. 80 mpg to over 19 mpg.
StanW

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #39 on: 11/15/06 12:54 PM »

You might also want to change the oil to synthetic. I put in Mobil One 5W30 and went from 14.5 to 16 MPG. Not much improvement considering the cost of synthetic, but every little bit helps

Hope this helps.
AVLT05

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #40 on: 11/26/06 05:51 AM »

I noticed a 1 to 1.5 mpg increase when I switched to Mobil 1 as well.
Norcal

Awards
« Reply #41 on: 12/20/06 03:18 PM »

Buy  an H2 - and you will really appreciate the AVs gas mileage... Seriously - I'm getting about 18MPG on average. 2006 LT 4x4... Suggest Tru Flow intake, and Corsa sport Exhaust. I also tuned mine with the plug in tuner - set to extract mileage and change tranny shift points. Tow/Haul overides back to stock. Goes faster - sounds bad ass...
Good Luck!
AlpineNInfinity

Awards
« Reply #42 on: 12/23/06 12:24 PM »

1500 av Z-71 with 4.10 gears. Still stock other than grille guard and F Keys. Averages 12.5 miles per gallon all around. Can get 15 while on hi way. Gas prices going up, love my truck but cost too much to drive. Any suggestions to improve fuel econ without messing up warranty? Is 12.5 a good average with this setup?

Get a civic.
StClairDean

Awards
« Reply #43 on: 04/24/07 08:02 AM »

Firstly, this is an awesome forum and a very valuable resource. 

About 2 months ago, I picked up my 04 Av (5.3, 410) and about 23k miles.  I have been watching closely the fuel mileage and am getting somewhat discouraged.  Obviously, as the vehicle is relatively new to me, I don't really have much data to go on, but my average is about 11 mpg.  And believe me, I baby my Av.  Mostly city driving which I know kills mpg.  If I can't squeeze any more mileage out, I will definately be looking at mods or a tune.  Perhaps it's buyer's ignorance, but the last Chevy trucks I had (1990, 350 3/4 ton and a 2001 5.3 1/2 ton) both averaged 17-19 mpg.  With the newer Av (improved technology), I expected the mileage to be somewhat similar.  I was obviously mistaken.

Cheers

2004 Avalanche, 5.3l, 4.10
20" RPM Wheels 275-55-R20 Falkens
MyBigToy

Too much power is just enough!

Awards
« Reply #44 on: 04/24/07 10:36 AM »

The worst I've done is 12.4 and the best I've done is 17.5. I average about 15 and don't think that's too bad considering what I'm driving.

I'm sorry but if you are concerned about gas mileage you shouldn't be driving a big-a$$ed truck.

2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, body-color taillight covers, custom metal rear step bumper. Self-tuned with HP Tuners software.

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/Special Appearance Pkg
cooldoctor1

Awards
« Reply #45 on: 10/20/07 05:26 AM »

Cheesy

My wife drives a 2007 short (not ext) GMC Yukon and gets 15 mpg average, and we live in flat midwest with mostly open (highway-like) driving.  She has a Vortec 6.2 L stock GM engine (larger due to Denali). 

I am readying to purchase a 2007 Av AWD  5.3 L and during a prolonged test drive, noticed the famous V4-V8 engine (forget what it's called) really, as others have said, does not go to V4 unless I am totally with foot off pedal.  On flat highway, still V8.  Question why, like the 4WD, I cannot simply dial it down to V4 at my discretion.  THAT would save some petrol.

Interesting thread.
SilverGhost
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Got Sand!

WWW Awards
« Reply #46 on: 10/22/07 10:29 AM »

I commute 120 miles/day and can drive 25% of it in V4 mode.  I average 45 mph, so there is a fair share of city driving and I am getting 17-19.  I do not believe in the slow and easy starts.  I have tried that and I seem to get worse mileage.  I stomp on it and get up to 45-50 (usually in 2nd), back off and kick in the cruise around 60.   On the highway (10 miles) I set the cruise at 70.  On the hilly sections I sometimes turn off the cruise to try to stay in V4 mode.  I have also experimented with and w/o the AC it costs me on average 2mpg.  I also try to minimize the amount of time I run the defroster.  With all that being said when my wife drives the AV for her commute she gets 15-17 with less city driving.  I really think it boils down to driving style, how close do you follow the vehicle in front of you.  I run my tires at 38psi, 3.73 gears, 63 Series K&N and a Flowmaster 50 DeltaFlow. 

I did read a post by GMResearch where they are thinking of putting in a low, medium and high V4 mode selector, in the future.

2007 Silver Birch  MODS - FM 50, 63  K&N CAI, Skid Plates, All 6 on Hi, HP Tuner & NGK AFX WB, 5100  Bilsteins on all corners, Train Horns, EBC slotted rotors and 6000 GreenStuff pads, Warn Trans4mer grill guard, .

Old - 2002 Summit White - North Face Edition
otisroundtree

Awards
« Reply #47 on: 01/10/08 03:48 PM »

I don't think it's practical to drive an SUV or truck and worry about the gas mileage, you probably should by an econo car if gas mileage is your main concern.  I say step on it!
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #48 on: 01/10/08 04:38 PM »

Congrat's  on the first post otisroundtree, very well put

Welcome! to the club 
kcole683

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #49 on: 01/10/08 06:02 PM »

People always told me if you're worried about the gas mileage then you can't afford the truck. .. .... .

Obviously I can't afford my truck !!!! banghead banghead

I have a cure though it's a 17 year old beat up work car that gets twice the fuel mileage. 

INDIGO BLUE Z71 BORN 03-14-02 DELIVERED ON 04-27-02  HEATED LEATHER,ONSTAR,CLIMATECONTROL ,SUNROOF, LOADED WITH EVERYTHING ,NO BLOCK HEATER,I LOVE THIS TRUCK New toy 2005 Stingray 220 CS in tow on a Prestige Trailer.
James Bond

Awards
« Reply #50 on: 03/22/08 09:51 AM »

I baby My 02 Avi, and I drive 100 miles a day, I just love my Avi and I dont ever want to get rid of it, I average 18 mpg, I drive like a granny, and folks hate it when they get behind me, but yes when yuoudrive around 55 you save the most gas and I stay on top of my tire pressures which makes a huge difference even if it is only a few pounds off.

I do realize that since I AM driving a large vehicle such as the AV that I DO gotta sacrifice mileage but It IS worth it to me.

The cruise idea is a good one but I hae learned that when I am going up and down Hilly areas (thats Georgia for you) that when I am going down hills I shut off the cruise to just let gravity build up speed for the oncoming hill, then when I go up the next hill and start losing speed I just slightly feather the go pedal to sort of maintain a reasonable speed otherwize the truck will go into kickdown, that really helps, just this last week I have tried to do everything in my power to save gas, and folks let me tell you,-I mathmatically figured that I got 21 mpg on my last fill up!!!

This DOES work folks, the only drawback is more and more people on the road are waving at me with their middle fingers and laying on the horn.  But I have been noticing recently (since the spike in gas prices) that there is more and more folks doing the same thing that I am.......Hope this works.......007
drvortec7081

Awards
« Reply #51 on: 05/24/08 05:00 PM »

I seem to average 17mpg mixed highway/city. I am not easy on my truck. I just drive it. $75 gets me 300 miles +/-

2002 Black Suburban/4x4/k&n (drop-in)/285x75x16/Magnaflow #12590
MCO Avalanche

"Bitte ein Bit"

Awards
« Reply #52 on: 06/05/08 07:01 PM »

OK, this may sound crazy but I had this idea today as I was heading down i95.

I was thinking about the new hybrid Tahoes and Yukons and I seem to remember them talking about reducing unsprung weight to improve the vehicles ability to roll from a stop - my words not theirs - but best way for this non mechanic to explain it.

It is pretty much presumed that the OEM wheels of whatever diameter are probably heavier then what you can get on the aftermarket. So would switching to aluminum lighter rims with a tire of less aggressive tread pattern yield improved mileage at all?

'08 Avalanche LT 5.3L 2WD, Silver Birch
Silverstar AMBERS; Volant Power Core CAI; Magnaflow Cat Back; Bug deflector; Police pursuit windshield wipers, EXT Taillights; Horsepower adding CAFCNA decal; PUTCO jet yellow fog light bulbs; Alpine SPS 600 speakors
farmguy

Don't Mess with Texas

Awards
« Reply #53 on: 06/06/08 02:58 AM »

It is pretty much presumed that the OEM wheels of whatever diameter are probably heavier then what you can get on the aftermarket.

Actually, the OEM wheels are lighter than most aftermarket products.  Shocked All of the aftermarket Chrome wheels are steel and VERY heavy.  banghead

To get any significant reduction in unsprung weight you would have to go to a smaller wheel tire combination.

'06 LT. Texas Bowtie, Jayhawk Hitch cover,  Amber DRLs, Magellan GPS, backup cam, Line of Fire, Chrome letter overlays, Cherry Bomb Glasspack, Bowtie Exhaust tip,Vent Visors, Bug Shield, Billet Grille, Halo Headlights, dark tinted windows, Sail panel LED's, Backup Sensors. Chrome 20's.
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #54 on: 06/06/08 08:41 AM »

OK, this may sound crazy but I had this idea today as I was heading down i95.

I was thinking about the new hybrid Tahoes and Yukons and I seem to remember them talking about reducing unsprung weight to improve the vehicles ability to roll from a stop - my words not theirs - but best way for this non mechanic to explain it.

It is pretty much presumed that the OEM wheels of whatever diameter are probably heavier then what you can get on the aftermarket. So would switching to aluminum lighter rims with a tire of less aggressive tread pattern yield improved mileage at all?
I doubt you would see any gains.

Most of the fuel you burn is to move the whole weight of truck and cargo and pushing the avy through the air

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
AvPilot

Coolest vehicle I ever owned!!

Awards
« Reply #55 on: 06/06/08 09:04 AM »

In the area I live, the proliferation of traffic lights has destroyed gas mileage for all, including those driving a Prius. 19 lights in a 4 mile stretch where 5 years ago there were 4.
There's a lot of money to made for someone who could create a modern system to keep traffic MOVING. I swear there must be a Politician who owns a traffic light manufacturing company.
Rocky07

Best, Most AVersatile AVehicle on the Planet

Awards
« Reply #56 on: 06/06/08 12:00 PM »

In the area I live, the proliferation of traffic lights has destroyed gas mileage for all, including those driving a Prius. 19 lights in a 4 mile stretch where 5 years ago there were 4.

Run the red lights....get better mpgs!

Just kidding

'07 LTZ Avalanche-"Rocky II"
'02 Z71 Avalanche-"Rocky I"
'64 1/2 Mustang Rag-top
'66 Mustang Coupe
'68 Mustang Coupe (under restoration)
'80 John Deere 2040
Vaeagleav
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

The Avalanche just keeps getting better!

Awards
« Reply #57 on: 06/06/08 01:04 PM »

There's a lot of money to made for someone who could create a modern system to keep traffic MOVING. I swear there must be a Politician who owns a traffic light manufacturing company.

There are systems that will coordinate the traffic lights to change in such a manner that if you travel the posted speed you can have green lights on the main route. Trouble is many folks are distracted by phones,ipods etc. and they take off late and throw the timing off. You also have to be on the main route. If you are on the side roads you're out of luck. These systems are also expensive so mainly large metro areas are getting those systems. ( I think it's so the politicians don't get stuck)

Let's push for the 4 day work week so you have less traffic!

We also need to use more motorcycles and allow lane splitting like they do in California. Traffic would flow better with more bikes on the road and parking would be easier too.

2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.
4x4Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #58 on: 06/08/08 11:10 PM »

I get about 18 MPG on the freeway if I use my cruise control. If that don't work out move your seat back so that you can barely touch the gas pedal.

2002 Forest Green Metalic Z-71 Chevrolet Avalanche 5.3L, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, BF GoodRich A/T, Chrome Locking Fuel Door, Led Brake Light, 4 Drill Slotted Rotors, Clifford Matrix 50.5X Alarm System, Sylvana Silver Star Amber DRL.

Future Mods:  Flowmaster Super40 Catback, JBA Headers, SuperChip

http://www.myspace.com/gotavalanche
Russellj30t

Awards
« Reply #59 on: 06/19/08 08:26 PM »

Just my 2 cents on this stuff... two quick points... 1. Doesnít the amount of times you start your truck effect your average MPG per tank? So those of us that drive to and from work within 20 miles will be starting our truck up (which uses a bit more gas I think but I donít know how much) twice as much as someone with 40 mile commute... I get about 15 mpg and have a 12 mile commute also... and 2. Some of these differences in MPG from truck to truck may have to do with the tires or even the amount of tire worn on the tires. SOOO put small tires on and you will think your getting like 20+ miles per gallon!!! ha-ha...  I do now over inflate the tires a little... (Less friction) helps a little but be careful because it produces more wear on suspension... These are just thoughts... not promises and please feel free to comment on them b/c I would hate to be misleading by myself... Thanks guys!!!

2003 AV... So many plans for this truck... so little money to do it Sad The CD player is the only mod so far.
shulog

Awards
« Reply #60 on: 06/19/08 08:44 PM »

even in town i get better. what speed do you cruse. i don't know the gear ratio in mine but it is stock i averaged on a recent trip to NM doing 80+ at 18
SilverGhost

Got Sand!

WWW Awards
« Reply #61 on: 06/20/08 06:16 AM »

Just my 2 cents on this stuff... two quick points... 1. Doesnít the amount of times you start your truck effect your average MPG per tank? So those of us that drive to and from work within 20 miles will be starting our truck up (which uses a bit more gas I think but I donít know how much) twice as much as someone with 40 mile commute... I get about 15 mpg and have a 12 mile commute also... and 2. Some of these differences in MPG from truck to truck may have to do with the tires or even the amount of tire worn on the tires. SOOO put small tires on and you will think your getting like 20+ miles per gallon!!! ha-ha...  I do now over inflate the tires a little... (Less friction) helps a little but be careful because it produces more wear on suspension... These are just thoughts... not promises and please feel free to comment on them b/c I would hate to be misleading by myself... Thanks guys!!!
I agree with both of your points.  I run my tires at 40psi cold.  That's as high as I can go because the DIC complains if they are ever over 44-45psi once warmed up.  As far as cold starts, I can see this by setting my cruise control at 55 right away and watching the instant mpg start at 18 and move up as it warms up.  Here are two tables that effect cold start mpg but what I can not find is what is controlling fueling until these thresholds are reached.  I would like to bump them down a little.   Thumbs up!

« Last Edit: 06/23/08 01:42 PM by SilverGhost » Logged

2007 Silver Birch  MODS - FM 50, 63  K&N CAI, Skid Plates, All 6 on Hi, HP Tuner & NGK AFX WB, 5100  Bilsteins on all corners, Train Horns, EBC slotted rotors and 6000 GreenStuff pads, Warn Trans4mer grill guard, .

SilverGhost

Got Sand!

WWW Awards
« Reply #62 on: 06/20/08 06:36 AM »

Lately, I have been running premium.  That may sound counter intuitive to pay even more for gas but the numbers support it. By running premium I can bump up timing by 4 degrees.  Right now premium is $.20 more and at $4.00 that is 5% more.  I normally get 21 on regular.  So if I can get 1mpg more on premium then it pays for itself.  My last tank I got 22.3.  The first two days after filling up I only drove to/from work (200miles) and I was at 23.5.  Plus she likes the additional timing!  Thumbs up!

Update:  I had to cut the timing back to an increase of 2-3 to get rid of some knock but I still am getting 22-23. 
« Last Edit: 06/30/08 06:39 AM by SilverGhost » Logged

Biggey

Avalanche=Unique

Awards
« Reply #63 on: 06/29/08 08:42 AM »

I have a 03 Z71 with a 4.10.   I have put a k&n cold air intake (230$) and a magnaflow exhaust (230$) on mine and i was getting around 20 on the highway.  These are some cheap ways to get a couple more mpg!  Good luck!!!

2003 Pewter Avalanche, 6" Fabtech, 35" Toyo Open Country MT, 17" Pro Comp 6089 Chrome wheels, Custom Rear Steel Bumper, Black Fusioned Cladding, Blacked out Taillights, True Dual Straight Pipes, Hypertech, 2 10" Kicker CVR, 300w Kicker Amp
ultrachill

Awards
« Reply #64 on: 07/02/08 12:54 PM »

I've been getting about 18+ on the highway, and about 12-14 in town with Borla exhaust, K&N cold air flow, Superchips programmed chip, 92 octane fuel, and 33's.   With the boat it's around 8 mpg.   My engine advisor tells me I'm running about 350 hp too.

Me?  I definitely feel it, have plenty of throttle anywhere, and my gas bill stills sucks, but it could be higher.
Madghost

Awards
« Reply #65 on: 07/07/08 12:22 AM »

As for people saying "if you are concerned about mpg, you should get an econo car"  please note that some of us, such as the northern folk, have no choice in the matter.  A prius simply wont cleave a 6' snow drift, and diesel vehicles are horribly unreliable much past -35 (fuel turns to jello).  Now with that being said I would also kill to have $4/gal as in canada its $1.55/l or about $6.20/ gal- costs about $150/tank.  My last vehicle was a '97 silverado I got 465k on which was getting about 11mpg on a pretty much siezed engine.   With tthe avy however I would like to get it up a bit so is it unreasonable to think dropping 300 on a cai unit and 450 on a cpu with economy settings would get me 3mpg... at that the ROI would be a reasonable time frame.

I'm not saying Toyota is gay ... only that it wears ass-less chaps and a rhinestone blouse
farmguy

Don't Mess with Texas

Awards
« Reply #66 on: 07/07/08 04:18 AM »

Let's face it folks...We buy/drive these things because we like themchevy For the money you pay for a new or late model AV, you could have got a number of more fuel efficient cars or trucks. Even with the depressed market, the price you pay for a used '02 with 100K on the odometer would buy a late model fully loaded ricer.

A prius simply wont cleave a 6' snow drift

What's a snow drift?  Huh

Madghost

Awards
« Reply #67 on: 07/07/08 06:52 AM »

What's a snow drift?  Huh

A very cold sand dune

I'm not saying Toyota is gay ... only that it wears ass-less chaps and a rhinestone blouse
New_Chevy_Avalanche_Owner

WWW Awards
« Reply #68 on: 08/12/08 12:32 PM »

I have  Installed a Tornado!
IT goes in the air intake and makes more turbulence in the air and I got 3.5 mpg more.
Now my truck get about 14.3mpg City and roughly 19-20 MPG highway
I Would like to see more Mpg tho! that is all i have added
Any Suggestion? Thread hijacked!

2005 Chevy Avalanche Z66 5.3L V-8 with 33,000, Dark Gray,Cladding

Performance Mods!
K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster 70 Series, Headers, Platnuim Plugs, Throttle Body Spacer, High Performance Mass Air Sensor, Jets Chips Transmission Programmer, Jets Chip Performance Pulleys, Transmission Cooler,
Z66 BUTCH
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #69 on: 08/12/08 12:44 PM »

IT goes in the air intake and makes more turbulence in the air and I got 3.5 mpg more.

Thats quite an improvement, others tell me they are snake oil............

Production of the Avalanche may be "water under the bridge"
but our love for them lives on!
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #70 on: 08/12/08 12:55 PM »

That's a first for me too, but if he was getting 11 MPG before in a Z66 that in my range with my 2500.
Rocky07

Awards
« Reply #71 on: 08/12/08 01:02 PM »

Yep.....two suggestions

1. Lift Early

2. Lift Often

'64 1/2 Mustang Rag-top
'66 Mustang Coupe
'80 John Deere 2040
MooseAlanche

The Moose Is On The Loose

Awards
« Reply #72 on: 08/12/08 04:14 PM »

Are you using a diffrent brand of gas? Or is everything exactly the same?

Thats quite an improvement, others tell me they are snake oil............

That's exactly what I heard about these devices  I don't know

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
SilverGhost

Got Sand!

WWW Awards
« Reply #73 on: 08/12/08 04:38 PM »

Are you using a diffrent brand of gas? Or is everything exactly the same?

That's exactly what I was wondering.  Huh In a different thread he posted about using E-85.  Maybe this is the first full tank of non E-85?  If it works that's great.  This would be the first case I have heard of one of these twirlers actually helping. 

Rocky07

Awards
« Reply #74 on: 08/13/08 11:24 AM »

This would be the first case I have heard of one of these twirlers actually helping. 

I expect to see Billy Mays on a Info-mercial anyday now selling those "twirlers" along with his Weed Auger, Mighty-Putty and health insurance.

While the principal of the device sounds great, all that twirling air gets stop as soon as it leaves the TBI chamber and enters the intake port.

'64 1/2 Mustang Rag-top
'66 Mustang Coupe
'80 John Deere 2040
SabreXray

Awards
« Reply #75 on: 08/14/08 04:52 AM »

Park Av.

Buy Civic (or any other godawful small hunk o' junk).  Instant 20+ mpg imporvement.

JP

2005 Sport Red Metallic Avalanche Z71
om27

Awards
« Reply #76 on: 11/13/08 04:49 AM »

As soon as you realize that the mileage is getting on your nerves banghead, then the good idea is to do whatever you do with ease. I mean you should always accelerate with ease, don't force the issue. Be sure of the gear-speed ratios that you maintain. Also drive under the specified norms of the vehicle. Take an expert opinion on the same and make sure you follow that. This might help you survive and live in peace for the rest of your life. Thumbs up!

farmguy

Don't Mess with Texas

Awards
« Reply #77 on: 11/13/08 05:52 AM »

Just remind yourself that you didn't buy a 6,000 pound truck with a large V8 for fuel economy.

poeg

Awards
« Reply #78 on: 11/25/08 09:22 AM »

Don't panic!  Just do the math and when it turns up that it'll take a decade to recoup spending a pile on gas saving measures, you'll feel much better.  I just write it off as not smoking or drinking much puts me in desperate need of a vice.
bmorris

Awards
« Reply #79 on: 12/10/08 09:01 AM »

Big laughter with tears i feel your pain but, although you may not believe it, putting a performance upgrade will help you out tremendously. I have a 2007 LT-2 Avalanche and was getting about 13-14 driving in the city. (using flex fuel it was even worse so i believe it wasn't worth it) Over my lunch hour (27minutes 40 seconds(we had a bet going)) myself and 2 of my coworkers installed a performance air-intake (K & M) and i noticed a little improvement (13.5-14.5) Not until i re-did my exhaust MAGNAFLO MY FRIEND...MAGNAFLO crap you not i get roughly 16.5-17.5 in the city Thumbs up! and about 20-23 on the highway not to mention the increase horse power and torque. The mechanic replacing my exhaust stated i would push 350-355 horse power.

But because of the nice rumble it makes you will not get noticeable fuel economy as you will romp on it all over town...ahhh the sound it makes!! Wait after a month after you get use to it you will notice a gradual improvement.
Rocky07

Awards
« Reply #80 on: 12/10/08 11:37 AM »

...........Not until i re-did my exhaust MAGNAFLO MY FRIEND...MAGNAFLO crap you not i get roughly 16.5-17.5 in the city Thumbs up! and about 20-23 on the highway ......

With the pressure GM and others are under in meeting CAFE standards, make one wonder why they don't install it from the factory.  That would be a "no-brainer" (and cheap way) to up the avg mpgs.........makes one wonder Huh

'64 1/2 Mustang Rag-top
'66 Mustang Coupe
'80 John Deere 2040
GX2

Awards
« Reply #81 on: 02/23/09 01:05 PM »

Has anyone installed the exhaust system described in post #79 in a 2005 Avy 1500?  If so, what kind of results are you getting?

Thanks,

GX2
chefcrazymike

Awards
« Reply #82 on: 06/12/10 11:00 AM »

I would love to see that 65" lift..........

I have a 2005 av K&N Cold air induction, cat back and a Superchip. I was getting 18 town 25 highway.  Put 35" tires and now I am at 12 mpg all the time. I currently have 3.73 gears and considering  4.56 to help any sugestions
avalonandl

Pulling 11,000 lbs and Lovin' it

Awards
« Reply #83 on: 07/13/10 12:50 PM »

I have a 2005 av K&N Cold air induction, cat back and a Superchip. I was getting 18 town 25 highway.  Put 35" tires and now I am at 12 mpg all the time. I currently have 3.73 gears and considering  4.56 to help any sugestions

Yes, go back to the factory tires. Those 35's are your problem, heavy and high rolling resistance. Put the 4.56 gears in if you want to get 10mpg.

You had a great set up and you messed it up.

Avalon

2004- Sport Red 2500, w/ 4.10 axle and stump pulling torque! Flowmaster BB50 w/ oval tips out each side. Xenon lights, Firestone Airbags, amber DRL's. Hypertech tuned for regular fuel. 180  T-stat.
05snopro440

Awards
« Reply #84 on: 12/15/10 08:57 AM »

Yes, go back to the factory tires. Those 35's are your problem, heavy and high rolling resistance. Put the 4.56 gears in if you want to get 10mpg.

You had a great set up and you messed it up.

Avalon

Avalon, do you honestly consider that helpful advice?

chefcrazymike, if you still have stock gearing you should talk to a 4x4 shop, they can help you with finding the right gears for the 35's if you want to keep that setup. The truck is geared to run at a certain RPM with stock tires, so with 35's and stock gearing it's no surprise you're getting poor mileage. The other mods you did are the best I can think of to improve mileage. Maybe a throttle body spacer too, but that won't give you as much as they say it will.

2004 Avalanche Z71 WBH. White w/ charcoal leather, fully loaded including DVD and sunroof. White power bar, 17x8.5" Weld Evo Velocity 6 wheels.
avalonandl

Awards
« Reply #85 on: 01/21/11 10:00 AM »

Avalon, do you honestly consider that helpful advice?

chefcrazymike, if you still have stock gearing you should talk to a 4x4 shop, they can help you with finding the right gears for the 35's if you want to keep that setup. The truck is geared to run at a certain RPM with stock tires, so with 35's and stock gearing it's no surprise you're getting poor mileage. The other mods you did are the best I can think of to improve mileage. Maybe a throttle body spacer too, but that won't give you as much as they say it will.

You asked the question, not making a judgement. If you want the 35 inch tires they come with a price of higher rolling resistance, etc. The 4.56 is a little stout but do the math (rpms) and see what you get. I don't know what the 35's did to your rpm's at same speed. I think 4.11 would be better it's about 9% higher gearing. A tune is the best for these 5.3's if you don't have one. Factory tuning is very conservative.

Avalon

2004- Sport Red 2500, w/ 4.10 axle and stump pulling torque! Flowmaster BB50 w/ oval tips out each side. Xenon lights, Firestone Airbags, amber DRL's. Hypertech tuned for regular fuel. 180  T-stat.
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #86 on: 01/22/11 07:33 AM »

Just to illustrate how your driving habits (read:HEAVY FOOT) can effect you MPG...

I get about 10 MPG on average with my setup.  During testing of new tunes, I really abuse it.  In a 6 mile round trip for testing, I burned over 1/4 tank! Now that's really getting on it!

'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...
408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
elpapisf

Awards
« Reply #87 on: 03/11/11 12:54 PM »

i personally think, and this is my opinion, the gas mileage thing on the DIC measures everything from standing still or idling to the normal driving. that is why thaere is such a different and crappy gas mileage on our trucks. did you know that your av will burn aprox .5 gal per hour of idling alone. so if you are on heavy trafic all day or during your comute then you will get crappy gas mileage because the computer is also measuring the idling MPG. example, i am stationed at fort bragg, i live 17 miles one way from work. and i have to comute every day aroud the same time as everyone else and i get between 12-13 MPG, there are lights, hyway, trafic, check points. i just recently got move to work in another part of post where i dont have to take the same route to work, i actually take more of a country road to work and there are only three lights but the distance is now 32 miles one way, i get about 16.5-17 MPG now which means i dont idle as much i keep my speed more constant and i enjoy driving my truck even more. the bottom line is dont always trust what the computer on the DIC tells you, my numbers come from me doing my math on how much i put in my truck with what my trip speedo says. 

2007 AV LTZ 2WD AUTORIDE
Rocky07

Awards
« Reply #88 on: 04/19/11 01:29 PM »

The computer measures gas consumption against MPH even if you are setting still.  The DIC displays that average.  If you filled it up, reset the Avg Economy, didn't move an inch, and used an entire tankful while idleing, the DIC should read "0 MPG".  At least theoretically!  But, don't want to try it.

'64 1/2 Mustang Rag-top
'66 Mustang Coupe
'80 John Deere 2040
cooncitycornflake

Awards
« Reply #89 on: 04/20/11 12:01 AM »

I get about 18 MPG on the freeway if I use my cruise control. If that don't work out move your seat back so that you can barely touch the gas pedal.

That and I got real tall tires to drop the engine rpm and jacked up the back to drive down hill wherever I go.  Still doesn't make much of a difference.  Tongue
garye

Harleys and Avalanches, you gotta love em!

Awards
« Reply #90 on: 11/09/11 11:22 AM »

The problem with getting the Tune, CAI and exhaust mods is that you pick up more power as well and why have more power if you don't put your foot into once in awhile and as soon as you do that there goes the mileage.  I did all those things and I noticed that on the highway if I do 65mph I get about 20mpg on my DIC, when I kick it up to 75-80mph I get about 14-15 mpg and sometimes 12-13 if I am pushing a headwind, soooooo.  I double dog dare you to get the mods that will give you more power and then keep you foot out off gas, especially when it sounds so good with exhaust mods when you kick in in the A..

Tune, CAI, and exhaust mods will get you 2-3 mpg....Seen it a lot....the tune will be the best in the bunch... I was seeing 17-18 mpg on my 04 z-71 with the blower, 42# injectors and stock motor.... with stock injectors and a custom tune, 17 hwy should be easy....if you drive easy...

around town....fuggittaboutit...... Cheesy

If you can't ride your Harley, then drive your Avalanche
Ballerbase

Awards
« Reply #91 on: 02/05/12 10:26 PM »

I guess I must have gotten lucky with my find. I recently bought an 05 with 127k miles but was serviced regularly. It's 2wd and i drive it on a 20 minute commute to school every day. Half in town and half on the road at about 60 and my average is 17.5 but on the interstate, it hops up to the low 20's! Everything is stock on it too but looking to throw some flowmasters on it soon

Ride or die by the bowtie
naylor99
Charter Member

"The future is not what it used to be" A C Clarke

Awards
« Reply #92 on: 02/06/12 12:47 PM »

Easy solution. My other vehicle is a Mazda Miata (MX-5). 29mpg, and top down fun.  Thumbs up!

2013 BLK/BLK 4WD LTZ : Ambers, BedRug, EZ Down, LED bed lights, Maglite Mod, Brushed Alum/Black vinyl interior upgrade, puddle light projectors, LED hitch step, more to come...
2005 Victory Red/Tan WBH Z66 (Sold)
2003 White (long gone)
Member 163, joined 2/15/02
Joelg1980

2004 1500

Awards
« Reply #93 on: 02/06/12 02:01 PM »

As soon as you realize that the mileage is getting on your nerves banghead, then the good idea is to do whatever you do with ease. I mean you should always accelerate with ease, don't force the issue. Be sure of the gear-speed ratios that you maintain. Also drive under the specified norms of the vehicle. Take an expert opinion on the same and make sure you follow that. This might help you survive and live in peace for the rest of your life. Thumbs up!

Just do what I do: place a ball of some sort on your dash...big enough so that it won't get stuck in between the windshield and the dash. If while you are driving that ball takes off one way or another, you're going to fast. I just completely made that up, but hell it sounds good.  Big laughter with tears

2004 SBM WBH 59,000 miles. Repainted cladding, Bully truck steps, mod-painted stock grill, black bow-tie,  ambers (duh), rear headrest mod, lower fascia painted black, custom cold air intake, all on hi mod + fogs,

Photo Competition #39 (truck and trains) winner
Region III-IL
stogen
CAFCNA 2012 Premium Member

is that goat pee ,no its goat gatorade.

Awards
« Reply #94 on: 02/06/12 03:34 PM »

I have an 03 z71 4:10 gears k&n cold air intake magnaflow exhaust 33" wheels, I get 12.7 mpg average..... But I stomp er evry chance I get I'm just waiting on my custom tune  by by fuelly.

black claded 03 z71 magnaflow dual exhaust, leveled,rancho 9000xl shocks cusom made brush guard , amber drls, viper alarm, 20" eagle alloy rims on bfg ta/ko 285/55/20..MSD wires,  k&n 77 series cold air intake, gmt 900 brake mod, Blackbear tune.. (2012 silvy waiting to be modded!!!)
jesusfreak2111

Awards
« Reply #95 on: 02/08/12 08:18 AM »

I think your gears might be messing with your numbers a little. I have dual flowmasters and a spectre intake. I average 17 city and around 20-21 highway. I drive very easy though. Hardly ever get the rpms above 2k. Try an exhaust and intake setup and your average should go up. I know mine did  Thumbs up!

2005 Z71 LT. Fully loaded, 17" XD series SPY wheels, 2" wheel spacers, hunter brush guard, MSD super conductor wireset, repainted cladding, custom camo bow tie, decals removed, all on high, dual flowmaster series 40, spectre cold air intake, diablosport predator tuner, BFG all terrains, hornblasters train horn with 2 gal. tank mounted in saddle bag, 2 10" xplod 1100 watt subs and 1200 watt amp under rear seat, sony dvd player, rear view camera, sail panel leds, euro taillights, and as always, more to come!
Ballerbase

Awards
« Reply #96 on: 02/08/12 07:56 PM »

Talking to a buddy of mine and he said he got a super chip thrown in his gas chevy(non avy) and he got an added 3 mpg. I wouldn't guarantee it but if you got an extra 350 bucks laying around it's worth a shot. And those extra miles would add up

Ride or die by the bowtie
05snopro440

Awards
« Reply #97 on: 02/10/12 09:53 AM »

Just a note on things that don't seem to work, I have an ECON programmer from hypertech, and I haven't noticed any difference in mileage on mine.

2004 Avalanche Z71 WBH. White w/ charcoal leather, fully loaded including DVD and sunroof. White power bar, 17x8.5" Weld Evo Velocity 6 wheels.
SabreXray

Awards
« Reply #98 on: 03/13/12 06:24 PM »

Park Av.

Buy Civic (or any other godawful small hunk o' junk).  Instant 20+ mpg improvement.

JP

Wow, 2008 post, what do I drive in 2012? A Honda Fit, 40 mpg.

Amazing that I been thinking this all along.  Big laughter with tears

2005 Sport Red Metallic Avalanche Z71
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #99 on: 03/16/12 10:01 AM »

I find it amazing that people buy a 6000 pound truck with a V8 and cry about gas mileage.  It requires a lot of energy to move such a large, heavy vehicle.  If I hadn't sunk so much money into turning mine into a hot rod, I would have turned it into an electric.  If only I could go back and call a do-over...    Roll Eyes

'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...
408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
Joelg1980

2004 1500

Awards
« Reply #100 on: 03/16/12 07:40 PM »

I tend to worry about gas mileage when I'm driving the Av, but I remember why I bought the Av when I'm driving my wife's Nox with a punky little 4 cylinder! I need a vehicle with power and that I don't feel like a tool driving it! I love the Av and I'll continue loving it, even when i'm dropping $60 to put 15 gallons in it.  Cool!

I find it amazing that people buy a 6000 pound truck with a V8 and cry about gas mileage.  It requires a lot of energy to move such a large, heavy vehicle.  If I hadn't sunk so much money into turning mine into a hot rod, I would have turned it into an electric.  If only I could go back and call a do-over...    Roll Eyes

2004 SBM WBH 59,000 miles. Repainted cladding, Bully truck steps, mod-painted stock grill, black bow-tie,  ambers (duh), rear headrest mod, lower fascia painted black, custom cold air intake, all on hi mod + fogs,

Photo Competition #39 (truck and trains) winner
Region III-IL
ChevyNick

I want a diesel.

WWW Awards
« Reply #101 on: 04/05/12 04:25 PM »

I'm not trying to bash anyone but I just don't understand how you guys are geting 15, 16, 17, even 20+ MPG in your trucks.  I have gotta assume you are NOT driving in city conditions of 25/35/45mph speed limits.  If you are, and you're still claiming those MPGs, I just don't get it.  Are those numbers from your dash computer, or are those real-world numbers?  I drove my grandpas Avalanche for one week and it showed 14.2MPG on the cluster (2006 Av 3.42s w/ K&N CAI).  I did not do a real world calculation because I did not clear the trip when I took his truck for the week.

I get ~12.8MPG no matter how I drive my 2002.  I did a tank of gas absolutely babying the darn thing, VERY VERY RARELY going over 1600-1700RPMs on acceleration.  I still got the same MPG I would get doing 1800-2100RPM acceleration.

Since I started college, I now add 80 of my 170 miles per week on the highway averaging 73-74MPH.  The other 90 miles in the city where the limit is on average, 35-45mph.  That 80 miles of highway driving has made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in my MPG.  I still sit at 12.5-12.8MPGs (real world calculation).  If I do a trip up north on the highway doing whatever speed, 70-80MPH, then I will get your guys' numbers of 15,16,17mpg, but that is only because that is strictly highway driving.  

For what its worth, I have 3.73 gears.  I guess I am happy with being able to say "I get 12.8MPG, no matter how heavy my foot is".  Besides, I get so many more smiles per gallon in the Avy than I do in any other of the family cars Thumbs up!  $50 a week to fill up? Doesn't bother me at this time.
« Last Edit: 04/05/12 04:33 PM by ChevyNick » Logged

2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71 Victory Red. Dual Flowmaster 40 series, K&N Cold Air Intake, Leveling Kit, BFG's, Throttle Body Spacer, Cab Lights, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA 525s, Blackbear Tune.
LornesAV

Awards
« Reply #102 on: 04/05/12 07:22 PM »

I don't know what he drove but maybe try this

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,45192.0.html

I think mine has the same issue. My 08 says 5 1/3 quarts oil. When I fill it the level shows within the hash marks but if I pay someone it's always well above on the stick.

2008 Z71
sportred

Awards
« Reply #103 on: 04/12/12 06:50 PM »

Has anyone tried the gf performance chip? it says increase hp 60% and increase gas mileage 7mpg.
www.gfchips.comchevroletavalanche. sounds good and I would like to try it but would like feedback first. thanks

2006 CHEVY AVALANCHE LT. DUAL EXHAUST. DVD PKG. CHROME PKG AND WOODED GRAIN DASH. CLADDED VERSION AND BEAUTIFUL SPORT RED.
LornesAV

Awards
« Reply #104 on: 04/12/12 07:08 PM »

I think you meant 6 % hp, 7 mpg I doubt it but I haven't used it either. If it does I would jump all over that. I couldn't get the link to work.

2008 Z71
Wazbro

Awards
« Reply #105 on: 04/13/12 09:33 AM »

sportred
That looks like a piece of junk that temporally fulls the computer to think it is getting a different reading from the MAF sensor. I say temporary because the computer compares readings with the O2 sensor and learns out miss-calibrations. So it might help for a couple tanks then the computer will correct it back to stock.

2008 AV 6.0L LT3 Autoride Blue Granite Metallic
avalonandl

Awards
« Reply #106 on: 04/13/12 03:41 PM »

Has anyone tried the gf performance chip? it says increase hp 60% and increase gas mileage 7mpg.
www.gfchips.comchevroletavalanche. sounds good and I would like to try it but would like feedback first. thanks

Sportred those are junk. They are $ wasters. If it leaned your motor out that much it would burn it up.
 Stoicheametric is 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel. Most of our vehicles run 11-12.5 AFR so cutting fuel that much would put you way out of balance and the engine would compensate.

Avalon

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: