• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Anybody out there with accelerometer's??

BuddyP

I've had one for a few years and just now used it on the Av. '03 Z71 with 3.73's... got a 16.50 @ 88.7 mph. Now, I would somewhat trust the ET off the thing but the MPH seems high to me. Second run I tried holding the brake while pressing the gas them letting off the brake but only got a 17.07 @ 84.9 that run???

I'll stick with the 16.50 number until it show's me consistant slower times the next time I test it out? :woot:

Somewhere in between those two figures seems about right based on my two miserable runs at the track.  The mph might look high but once these monsters get moving, they build speed pretty fast.

I have an accelerometer too but can never remember to get it out of the toolbox

DaytonaZ71 said:
Somewhere in between those two figures seems about right based on my two miserable runs at the track. The mph might look high but once these monsters get moving, they build speed pretty fast.

I have an accelerometer too but can never remember to get it out of the toolbox

hmmm, maybe bring THAT to lunch next time...could be fun ;)

I should note that the AC was on during those runs. Not sure if that makes any difference now days or not.

accelerometers measure Acceleration which is Velocity / time2

usually ft/sec2 or G's which is 9.81 m/s2

What you have is a stopwatch and tape measure...

ygmn said:
accelerometers measure Acceleration which is Velocity / time2

usually ft/sec2 or G's which is 9.81 m/s2

What you have is a stopwatch and tape measure...
What I have is a very expensive stopwatch and tape measure that requires an instruction manual to operate.

Attachments

• P1140312.JPG
    P1140312.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 64
G Tech does hav Accelerometers inside to give you lateral Gs and forward Gs which I beleive they then use to calc basic stuff from...

I prefer my radar dectector instead...hehehe

that looks like an old school g-tech...i have an one of those do hickeys (I don't remember the make/model)....but w/ the jerk you get in the shift change...they just can't be sensitive enought to be right.
mine has a "speed setting" (meaning it displays MPH) and if you take it easy, it is pretty accurate (+- 10%). ?but that is still way to far to estimate hp IMO.

anyway, i have one, but am not a big fan...it is kinda like the little breathalizer thingy i have...neat party gimmick, but, who know if it is right or not!

ygmn said:
G Tech does hav Accelerometers inside to give you lateral Gs and forward Gs which I beleive they then use to calc basic stuff from...

I prefer my radar dectector instead...hehehe
usually these only have a single axis accelerameter (it helps aid in accuracy).  They will also read out 60-0 braking distance.

I would say that's pretty close.  I've seen a lot of stock AV's on the race track.  A 4x4 will usually run high 16.7s-17.  4x2 will do about .2-3 better than the 4x4's.

Hopefully mine will do a little better than that the next time I go  >:D

BigBlackAv said:
that looks like an old school g-tech...i have an one of those do hickeys (I don't remember the make/model)....but w/ the jerk you get in the shift change...they just can't be sensitive enought to be right.
mine has a "speed setting" (meaning it displays MPH) and if you take it easy, it is pretty accurate (+- 10%).  but that is still way to far to estimate hp IMO.

anyway, i have one, but am not a big fan...it is kinda like the little breathalizer thingy i have...neat party gimmick, but, who know if it is right or not!
yeah, i bought it years ago, tried it once, stuck it in the tool box and forgot about it. according to car mags they are supposed to be very accurate, as far as G's and 0-60, 1/4 mile etc.

Back