• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best Brand of Transmission Filter

Durwin

Charter Member
Good Evening,
I'd like a few opinons as to who makes the best transmission filter out there. There is a lot of competition in oil filters, but if a transmission dies, it's pretty expensive. I'd like to buy a very good transmission filter because it's cheap insurance especially when a service is every 30-50k miles. Amsoil does not make one and neither does K&N.

On this next service I'm going to have a Mag Hytec pan installed a few quarts of synthetic Dextron, might as well spend some more money...
Ideas?
Durwin

I haven't looked at the tranny filter for the Avalanche, but most are pretty simple.

The inside of the filter is almost like a piece of tissue paper that's folded over. Any debris gets trapped in-between the folded over layers of "filter media". I've never heard anyone mention differences in filters. I'd just get a new one and not worry about it.

I like AC/Delco transmission filters. On visual inspection they appear more substantial than most.

I reccomend AC/Delco too, Nothing like a perfect fit. Hate when you buy stuff they say yeah its for that vehicle and does not fix correct.

Sam

Thanks folks for all of the input. I do appreciate it. I'll go with the aftermarket deep pan and the Amsoil synthetic fluid. My Av came with the cooler and guage. I just didn't like it going to 195.
Durwin

Durwin said:
Good Evening,
I'd like a few opinons as to who makes the best transmission filter out there. There is a lot of competition in oil filters, but if a transmission dies, it's pretty expensive. I'd like to buy a very good transmission filter because it's cheap insurance especially when a service is every 30-50k miles. Amsoil does not make one and neither does K&N.

On this next service I'm going to have a Mag Hytec pan installed a few quarts of synthetic Dextron, might as well spend some more money...
Ideas?
Durwin

wow i got 70k on my avy and havent changed it, i dont like anyone doing mechanical work on my baby since there are a lot of shady shops out there.  is it hard to change? is there any guides? what do i need to prolong the tranny? i was thinking of getting a tranny cooler from stylin concepts, it was a 4 row one. any help would be appreaciated thanks!  :B:

OEM is the best IMO. Also do yourself a HUGE favor. DO NOT USE the cheap after market cork gaskets. Even when torqued properly they split and leak.

Hello everyone,
I didn't even know that this tread was still going.
Earlier this month I had a transmission flush done with synthetic Amsoil ATF and Wix filter and had an aftermarket Mag-Hytec deep tranny pan installed. The transmission runs cooler now.
It's always great to do maintenance.
Durwin

Vulcan said:
wow i got 70k on my avy and havent changed it, ......... what do i need to prolong the tranny?

All the recommendations I hear are change the filter/fluid every 30,000 miles.

Best prevention there is.  If you are towing or driving lots of hills a trans cooler will be good.  As far as which one, read what is advertised, look them over and choose the one that makes you happy in your price range.

There was an earlier post about a cork gasket. The 2500's have a reusable rubber gasket. Are the 1500's the same. The synthetic fluid is great. It lowered my trans temp 10 degrees.
Durwin

No, the 1500 use a throw away gasket.  Adding a OEM cooler will drop trans temp on a 1500 about 40 degrees towing  nothing.    While towing 5000 pounds of camper I have never saw more than 180 and that was near 100 degrees that day.    The filter is way more than a screen. 

Back