• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

crankshaft sensor ( where is it located )

fleckj

My 02 2500 8.1 liter stalls while driving down the road
thanks to this feedback sight I think everyone is right
now does anyone know where the crankshaft sensor is located. PLEASE HELP

GreatWest said:
Sensor is located on the driver's side of the engine almost directly behind the head and down by where the transmission bolts to the engine block, just above that area. On the big block (I have one of those) it's very difficult to get to. I took mine to the dealer. From what I hear, the small block can be done at home but it's a lot of work and small hands are a must. Being that you have a big block, I'd suggest the dealer to the work. If when you tell them what to replace they look shocked like they have never had to replace one, take your AV to another dealer. The one I used knew exactly what I was talking about. Had my AV in and out in a few hours.

Good Luck

Here's a link to the thread with the post I quoted.
Engine Stalling.... Dealer Stumped

Unfortunately, I can't find the 8.1 version of this location diagram. The 8.1's sensor looks different than the 5.3's as expected. Perhaps check in the same general location as shown here.

Attachments

• 222858-Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Location-5.3_6.0.gif
    222858-Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Location-5.3_6.0.gif
    17 KB · Views: 194
It's on the extreme backside of the engine, by the firewall. Good luck getting to it, you may want to let the dealer have at it. If you do it, take some pics!

drivers side behind the head.tight but can be done from uder truck.remove the heat sheald for more room.us a 10 mill. retchet wrench to take the bolt out of the head.it is tight but can be done.it took me about 30 min to do it .

8.1 liter CKP location

drivers side behind the head.tight but can be done from uder truck.remove the heat sheald for more room.us a 10 mill. retchet wrench to take the bolt out of the head.it is tight but can be done.it took me about 30 min to do it .

Be careful not to break it off inside the block!!!  That will be a very bad day!!!

(3) Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Connector
(4) Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor

Attachments

• cps.gif
    cps.gif
    44 KB · Views: 133
I own a 2004 (bought new) and just now at 35,000 miles having some of the same problems you mentioned. Do you still own yours ? It quit on me driving on the interstate going 70. Did you replace crankshaft sensor ? Did it solve the problem ?

soccertaxi said:
I own a 2004 (bought new) and just now at 35,000 miles having some of the same problems you mentioned. Do you still own yours ? It quit on me driving on the interstate going 70. Did you replace crankshaft sensor ? Did it solve the problem ?

The problem and fix that we are refering to only applies to 2002, 2500's. I have not seen another year or model that has had thos problem.

Back