• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

backing plate

adale3fan4ever

Hi, I have an 03 Av and I just replaced rear pads and rotors and I noticed that the backing plates are rusted pretty bad.  One of them is almost to the point of falling apart.  I have read other topics discussing this same problem and the dealer wanted $600 to $1000 to replace these (probably a $50 part if that).  My question is do I really need these because I just can't justify spending that kind of cash on something like this.

Backing plates aren't an absolute necessity, but they do serve some purpose.  If I didn't want the expense or replacement via dealership means and didn't have the true mechanical skills to replace them myself, I'd consider making some shielding to add on to them via some rivets, just to replace the function as the plates fail.

My 2002 is having the backing plates replaced today. I had some terrible noises coming from he rear end and it turns out the backing plates were completely rusted out.  I am told the rear end has to be dropped to replace them, so that is why it is expensive, mostly labor, as usual. For $860 I am getting both backing plates replaced plus new rear rotors, pads and rear U joint.

it is a bit of a job.....rear diff cover, axles, rotors, e-brakes shoes.  can't see 1000 buck if oit only need shields.....

It seems they woudl be replacable without a total rear end disassembly. Or at leastthe plates shoul be substantial enought to last more then 4 years or so. Maybe the harsh NH winters and road salts were the reason for early replacement, but a truck this rugged should be built with very substanial components. One more reason people are buying more and more imports.

My 2002 Avy is in the shop today getting brakes done, also backing plates ,and rotors for the second time, every time a mechanic looks at the brakes something is rusty. i have 70,000 miles on it.
Between bilstein shocks and brakes i am spending $2,400.00 dollars today. G.M. should get replacement parts for free from whoever makes bilstein shocks, and they should switch suppliers for their brake components, and start putting something decent on a vehicle costing over $50,000. Can.
Domenic

can someone take a pic of a backing plate so I know what we're talking about :E:

Chevy just offered to replace my backing plates and they said that they would pay for half the cost, I have an 02 w/64000 on it, I would have the pay for the full repair.
see my post wmk,

I have an '02 Avy Z71; brought to dealer to check noisy brakes. Report was that backing plates were nearly rusted through, would cost $2k to drop rear axle, replace plates, new brakes, drums, rotors; got price down to $1300. Went to pick up and brake pedal went straight to floor; obviously did not leave with my truck. This ties in to second issue: dealer said that metal in backing plate would always rust, wasn't top grade. Also advised by dealer that there was "significant" rust on undercarriage, frame rails, tie rods. Avy does not reside near ocean (though it did spend 2 weeks at Daytona after we bought it, and about 4 weeks at Maine coast), doesn't see much winter driving except when snow is really challenging (which here in the northeast has been minimal in last 5 years), and gets undercarriage washed regularly. Dealer does not think GM will offer any assistance in repairing undercarriage rust, or helping with backing plates; I ask, why should there be "significant" rusting at 5-year mark? Has anyone else had similar rusting problems? Any advice on resolving this issue? By the way, Avy has 16k miles. Thanks, any advice helpful.
Jim

welcome to the club photojim
unfortunately there have been several members that have had the backing plates rust through

seems like an unnecessary failure.... glavanize the darn things...  I'm tempted to spray them with undercoating... at least it would protect them a little bit

Damned if I didn't just get a $1200.00 bill at the dealer for backing plates, rear rotors (second time in 2 years). I also had to replace the front right side hub, but at least I got them to throw in replacing the front and rear axle seals. The '02 Avy has 71,000 miles on it and this is the second time I am replacing the rear rotors.
For those of you that had instances with GM, how did you go about getting them to pay half for the backing plates?

i have a 02 Avalance.   Rusted backing plate on right reae more than left.

Also have rust problem in right rear quarter panel where a junction box (electrical) that controled tail light rusted out.

This leads me to believe moisture must be consistly in this area.   I am wondering if the drainage system in the rear sides near the side wells cause this problem???

In my opinion, yes, because you will have to replace your rotors more often if you don't. I replaced the rear rotors 2 years ago also. Fortunately for me, I got an extended warranty which covered the axle seals and labor for this job.

'03 Avy, 66k miles and a GMPP Gold exteneded Warranty

Just got off the phone with my dealer -  needs backing plates.  Advised it was around 6 hours labor @$120 p/hour = $720 not incuding the parts.  I opted not to have them done, will look for cheaper alternative.  Not a safety or damage to the vehicle issue, only could cause more wear to brakes if they fail with extra dirt and a little noise.

Not warranty covered becasue of the part and the rust.  Stupid, stupid stupid. :p

I love my truck and was planning to keep it a long time but am not so sure if it is prone to cheap parts and mfr process.  I thought Chevy trucks were 'Like a rock' not 'Like a crock'

I don't see why they have to "drop the rear end" to replace the backing plates. Remove the axleshafts from the housing, yes....  but not remove the whole rearend, thats just dumb.

I just looked at my brakes today (i have to do pads & rotors all around) and found my backing plates were pretty rusted and found this thread. Rockauto.com has them for $15 each.

Here is the R&R

Attachments

• backingplateRnR.pdf
    100 KB · Views: 82
do you guys think its possible to powercoat the backing plates ? im starting to have problems with my drivers side rear also.

These are for an 02.

Sorry about splitting them up.... it was the only way to get it small enough.

Attachments

• 2002AxleRnR pg1.pdf
    67.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 2002AxleRnR pg2.pdf
    86 KB · Views: 44
  • 2002AxleRnR pg3.pdf
    40.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 2002AxleRnR pg4.pdf
    38.8 KB · Views: 40
last one.

Attachments

• 2002AxleRnR pg5.pdf