• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

KYB Shocks

i just installed the monomax shocks two weeks ago,vast improvement over the bilsteins that were leaking with only 8000 miles on em'.handling and braking are terrific,no nose diving or body roll but the freeway ride is still great plus the lifetime "no questions" warranty!!!

I had the GAS charged on my Karma-Giha (man did that thing stick to the road)
Had no issues with them!

Great! Those Monomax is what was on my mind.
I saw them for $80/ea. Did you all get them cheaper
than that? Are you towing anything?

Dave

on My 02 Z71 I know the Front and Rear Differ by the top mounts.
I am looking at Edelbrock Xtreme IAS Shocks.

The Front has a Stud Upper & Clevis Lower
The Rear Has a Eyelet upper & lower

This is what Summitracing.com has for a lifted AV (6")

When I looked up the part# for my Av it didn't state
front or rear. Just 1 p/n. Looks like more research is needed.

Dave

02' to 05' 1500 part#565067 front,565103 rear  02' to 05' 2500 part #565102 front,565103 rear , i know kyb does'nt list some of these #'s for these applications on their website but i work for an auto parts whse. distributor and we have the latest info on cd-rom and this info is most up to date!

Thanks for doing the research for me.
I just ordered a complete set from Summit.
They will get installed next week along with
my air bags( towing) and tires.

Dave

Hey: Duneit  Definetly Post back After that install.

Pics would be cool to: :rolleyes:  New shocks and Airbags Cool. (y)

Well I got the goods just need the install. Soon.

Nice free hat from Summit.

My first suspension upgrade on the AV.

Dave

Attachments

• Susp Stuff.JPG
    Susp Stuff.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 546
Be nice to see pictures too

I've been laming out. Haven't done the install yet.
Maybe this weekend. I have to put the air bags
in boiling water to get them soft. Already tried to
get them in and there is no way to squeeze them in.
I have to do my work in the driveway.

Dave

I to would like to upgrade the shocks. I noticed mine were leaking a while back. I have 56K on the truck and think it's time.

I'd like to put on shocks that are not as soft as the OEM Bilstiens. Will the Monomax do this for me?

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Hey Jimbo,

You are 100% correct. I just put mine in tonight! No more drooping front end when I step on the brake. I like the ride. It's firmer. The way most performance vehicles handle. I always thought the truck kind of lumbered into turns and you could get seasick when stopping fast.

Love them!

Paul :love: - should have done this sooner!

jimbo53188 said:
02' to 05' 1500 part#565067 front,565103 rear  02' to 05' 2500 part #565102 front,565103 rear , i know kyb does'nt list some of these #'s for these applications on their website but i work for an auto parts whse. distributor and we have the latest info on cd-rom and this info is most up to date!

Exactly.  BTW, the 067's are for the 4WD front (not the 2WD).

My Tires Plus shop is great, but the Car Quest guys that bring the parts in our neck of the woods (north of Atlanta) made lots of trips, bringing the wrong shocks, even when they were told: "to fit a Z71, that's a K1500 4WD."  Better to order by the numbers!  The CarQuest box numbers are 1855067 (F) and 1855103 (R), and they are the same factory MonoMax's, stamped 565067 and 565103.  I got off my butt and KYB'd the Av when the passenger front Bilstein blew a seal and peed all over itself...at 89K miles!  The rears were still good.

Mine Av is a 2002 Z71 on Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's with 35# air. 

Results?  Excellent poise and handling!  Stiffer, firmer, quicker, but not harsh.  It feels kinda like spoiling the old "Cadillac" Chevy ride with a touch of F@RD's firm hand.  ;-)

Cheers from Hotlanta,
--ken

PS,
If you want a bit softer ride, with decent control, and the KYB lifetime guarantee, go for the silver GAS-A-JUST mono tubes. My garage put them on by mistake, first time around, and the ride was very nice--at least as good or better than the Bilsteins--but not quite as buttoned down as I wanted.

PPS,
I got to road test a very enticing *combination* on my Av:  KYB silver GAS-A-JUST mono tubes in front, and orange MONOMAX in back...while we were waiting for CarQuest to bring the correct MONOMAX for the front.  I experienced this weird but useful setup in the 70's when I had a screaming Mazda Rx-3 *wagon* that was nicely balanced in handling (yes, I did some cone-dancing at the local weekend autocrosses).  The surprisingly trick factory setup had softer shocks in front, and firmer ones in back.  It surprised me how nice the combination of ride and handling was.  The stiffer rears helped limit roll and brake dive (also less squat on takeoff).  They also maintained some understeer making for safer handling during radical swerves.  The softer fronts allowed a bit more brake dive, and weren't quite as crisp on initial turn-in.  The payoff is in a nicer ride if you like to sail down rough roads at a good clip. 

Yes, I put them on my 2002 4x4 at the recommendation of someone on this site.  They are very good.  Make sure you spend the little extra money and purchase the monotubes.

I've been told the company has the best warranty in the business, but haven't needed to find out yet.

I purchased mine from Summit Racing (they had the best price) last year.

Back