• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2005 Tahoe 2-3 shift clunk

Tahoe 2-3 gear shift clunk

• shift clunk

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • exhaust pipes pinging

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

merlin1128

I have a 2005 Tahoe and i am having a clunking noise when it shifts from 2 to 3 gear. Took it to the dealer once and he gave me a TSB saying they reprogramed the PCM and it would not reduce, but not eliminate the clunk. After 1 month of driving it the problem has only gotten worse and the dealer told me initially that this was normal. I dont see how you spend over 40,000 on a vehicle and clunking noises from the transmission is considered normal. Anyone else have this problem and if so how was it corrected? Also, anyone have exhaust pipes that keep pinging? My new Tahoe has klunks and pings and the dealer tells me all this is normal.

Read through the existing threads...

even though the Tahoe is different it shares the drivetrain... so issues should be about the same

Maybe visit another dealership....this tends to do wonders....

Don't have them, and don't believe they are normal.  I agree, take it to another dealership.  Also, after it happens go to your local auto store and check for codes.  That way you can research them on here, and go to the dealership with some ammunition.  That way they can't feed you bad info. 

I must get 10 ro's a week with this concern and talked to platform engineers etc, of  course not hearing the noise makes it hard to know if its normal or not.  But i can tell you we have come up with nothing on this and gm (for us) won't allow any repairs.  My own 04 av. does this.  The source of the noise i have been told is the release vs apply time of the clutches. 2-3 up shift makes less noise than the 3-2 down shift it seems.  they do this to reduce the wear on the clutch pack. again this is what i have been told.

Back