• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

HEATER FAN SWITCH NOT WORKING.......

RONALDFS

SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
:help: I have an 03 4x4 cladded ave with 40,000 on it and I noticed about a week ago that the switch for the  fan does not work on speeds 1,2 and 3   :8:but are full blast on speeds 4 and 5. ???

Doese anyone know what may be the problem or a fix for this?

I thought about pulling that thing out to see if I can open it up to see if something is correted or not.  I would understand if none of the speeds worked and maybe it was the switch but why would some work and some not.

I have no clue with electronics so please explain to me like it would be written for  "Dummys for Electronics". :E:

Thanks in advance for any help....

RON

Bump.

RON

You have manual climate controls and the fan selctor switch does not activate the fan/blower until position 4 or above - confirm?

I have searched the TSBs and don't have a TSB on that issue.?

I have auto climate control so I don't know how your setup operates.?

I will search the manuals for switch replacement instructions.

Regards,

SpottyJ

RON

Not being famliar with the manual HVAC controls - does your system have three knobs in row?  And what do those knobs operate. (Trying to figure which system you have from the disagrams in my service manual)

SpottyJ said:
Bump.

RON

You have manual climate controls and the fan selctor switch does not activate the fan/blower until position 4 or above - confirm?

You are correct!!!!!

Thanks and I appreaciate it.....

I tried useing liquid tape but that did not seem to help at all? :kidding:

RON

SpottyJ said:
RON

Not being famliar with the manual HVAC controls - does your system have three knobs in row?? And what do those knobs operate. (Trying to figure which system you have from the disagrams in my service manual)

It has the round knob that controls the fan sppeds 0-5 then two slidder knobs that controll the temp.  Cold -hot.

RON

I had the same problem, the fan switch control uses a resister pack which is under the dash on the right side by the heater motor.  I replace the resister pack and now have all the fan speeds again.  Sorry I can't find the part number but any dealer will know what you're talking about.

Gary
gdmunk

Blower Motor Operates on High Only or Repeat Blower Resistor Failure - kw GMT800 GMT805 GMT820 GMT830 AC heater heat front air manual HVAC electrical wire high inoperative speed #PIT3081 - (Jul 22, 2004)
Blower Motor Operates on High Only or Repeat Blower Resistor Failure

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

Customers may comment that the A/C blower only operates on high or repeat blower resistor failures. Cause is a mis-positioned harness from the blower motor assembly to the right I/P fuse block C4 causing harness rub through at right I/P metal support.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Repair wiring and reposition blower motor harness away from the right I/P support. You may also want to insulate the I/P support bracket with foam tape to prevent any future concerns. Refer to SI Document 885398 for further details on wiring schematics for this circuit.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:
(03-05 Chevrolet All Full Size Trucks And Utilities) and (03-05 GMC All Full Size Trucks and Utilities)

Thanks,
gdmunk and SpottyJ.

I think I will try to remove the control and see if I can find the harness they were talking about to see if that works.  If not I want to take a trip to the dealer to see if they will do the Gatorback stuff to my cladden.. I am out of warrenty but they know I have the problem cause I had them do the armodillo last spring and that lasted for about two weeks.  I'll have them check my heater out also.

Thanks Again,
RON

gdmunk said:
I had the same problem, the fan switch control uses a resister pack which is under the dash on the right side by the heater motor.? I replace the resister pack and now have all the fan speeds again.? Sorry I can't find the part number but any dealer will know what you're talking about.

Gary
gdmunk

How hard was the install.

I took the heater out this weekend to check the wire harness to see if it was rubbing up against anything like in spottyj post but everything seems O.K.

RON

Dealer wanted $100 or more to replace the resister pack so I bought the part my self.

Part # 89018596 Resistor 9.216  $19.20

The problem I have is I have no clue where the heater blower is and how to replace this resistor pack.

I sent an e-mail to gdmunk to see if he can give me some directions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RON

Well, I fixed it today.

Thanks gdmunk for the help.

The only problem I had was the plug in the back of the blower.  I could not get that out.  Fingers too big and could not see back there.  You would have thought they would put that plug in front so your able to work on it.  Go figure, that would have made it to easy. 

I ended up cutting the wires and spliceing them instead.  Didn't want to do that but oh well she works now.

I have all 5 speeds.

Thanks spottyj and gdmunk.

Help me save $80.

Shop rat was $75 per hour.  Boy am i in the wrong professing......

RON

Hello I have the same problem.  I was wondering were the blower motor is and how to change the resistor motor?  Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Look here <click me> for more information, this was on a 2002 but the resistor is in the same place. double check the part number before you order.

Back