• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How to Replace Side mirror

bubtrauma

I have a 02 av and need to replace side mirror because the defrost does not work. How do I get it out without damageing the electronic motor for mirror adjustment.

Thanx Bub

You tilt the mirror all the way down with the power control.  Then you insert a screwdrive in to the gap and gently apply presure to between the ring and the mirror.  The idea is to get the tabs that hold the ring to let go. 

The mirror is very fragile.  Mine broke easy.

JP

BTW, once you know what you are doing it is easy.  The first time was tough though.

SabreXray said:
You tilt the mirror all the way down with the power control.? Then you insert a screwdrive in to the gap and gently apply presure to between the ring and the mirror.? The idea is to get the tabs that hold the ring to let go.?

The mirror is very fragile.? Mine broke easy.

JP

BTW, once you know what you are doing it is easy.? The first time was tough though.

you sure you should giving instructions? >:D  don't forget to remove the sail panel that covers the mirror mounting screws and wiring harness at the leading edge of the door.

Passenger side mirror defrost inoperative?  Possibly due to corrosive heating wiring tip that plugs into the mirror.  Use a long thin flathead screwdriver with the mirror tilted up all the way.  Gently pop off the ring behind the mirror going around at a time and separate.  The mirror breaks easily and I've broke one doing that.  Unplug the wiring connector from the mirror glass and inspect for corrosion and sand the connector in and out until you see shiny bare metal.  Dont forget to sand the heater prongs in the back of the mirror glass before reconnecting.  Then dab some of electrical corrosion protective grease.  Worked out pretty good for me.

PUNISHER said:
you sure you should giving instructions? >:D don't forget to remove the sail panel that covers the mirror mounting screws and wiring harness at the leading edge of the door.

What? The only thing holding the mirror (not the mirror assembly) on is some plastic tabs on a plastic ring directly under the shinny flat part of the mirror that you can see.

My signal mirror has the LEDs on the backside that have 2 wires that plug into a harness.  There are also the defrost wires and on the drivers side is the auto dimming wires.

JP

SabreXray,

Great advise on the disassembly and assembly.  :cool: We should both know from experience.  :E:

Sam

BLUEavyZ71 said:
Passenger side mirror defrost inoperative?? Possibly due to corrosive heating wiring tip that plugs into the mirror.? Use a long thin flathead screwdriver with the mirror tilted up all the way.? Gently pop off the ring behind the mirror going around at a time and separate.? The mirror breaks easily and I've broke one doing that.? Unplug the wiring connector from the mirror glass and inspect for corrosion and sand the connector in and out until you see shiny bare metal.? Dont forget to sand the heater prongs in the back of the mirror glass before reconnecting.? Then dab some of electrical corrosion protective grease.? Worked out pretty good for me.

OK I got it but I don't fallow the going around thing.

Here you go.

Sam

Attachments

• mirror(1).jpg
    mirror(1).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 373
  • mirror1.jpg
    mirror1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 367
How to install.

Please be careful when removing it though, It is glass.

Sam

Attachments

• mirror2.jpg
    mirror2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 362
All right, when you pry the ring tab with a screwdriver, there are consecutive tabs around the ring that you should do at a time to release the mirror glass from the ring.  Just take your time doing that with a deeep breath.  :cool:

bubtrauma said:
OK I got it but I don't fallow the going around thing.

AvalancheClint said:
This maybe a stupid question, but can you replace just the glass portion of the autodimming/defrosting mirror?

If so does anyone happen to have a part number?

in short yes, but the glass, with autodim and defrost is just one piece, I think you mean without replacing the plastic housing, yes that is possible. Sorry I don't have part number.

Sorry I wasn't a little more clear on my previous post.

Yes I just want to replace the mirror, without replacing the housing.

Well I guess I will have to bit the bullet and go to the dealer :E: and get the part.

Not that this thread wasn't helpful but now that I've successfully removed a mirror if my insights benefit anyone else then it was worth replying.

There are 12 of the retaining clips referred to above and they hold onto the adjuster mechanism as you would a fingertip fastball.  A flathead screwdriver is the most common tool that you could use but it didn't work for me.  I had to use a curved tip tool specifically used for opening paint cans (ACE Hardware).  Once 3 or 4 in a row of the retaining clips have been released you can pry the mirror apart the rest of the way with your hands.  It's still a pain in the *** but it was somewhat easier with the cuved tipped tool I used.

Good luck.

bubtrauma said:
I have a 02 av and need to replace side mirror because the defrost does not work. How do I get it out without damageing the electronic motor for mirror adjustment.

Take it to the dealer. Seriously, that is what I did today before my warranty runs out, my passenger side mirror defrost never worked. I took it in and they didn't have the part, ordered it and they used it another truck, finally ordered it again and made an appointment, mirror defrosts worked for 3 years on my '02 AV no problem.

Seemed there was some valid info here for others not under warranty and it's getting cold again.

Hi,

I got to close to the wood pile over two years ago and clipped the drivers mirror... I know...way too long. I did get an estimate to fix it at the dealer... six months ago... and they wanted $400 to replace the entire housing. Ummm.... no, I'd rather live with a wobbly mirror housing. Thanks for the tips on how to remove the mirror. I didn't know what I was in for, or what was wrong.  Now I see a retainer clip that is suppose to keep in place a very strong spring. So my question is, does anybody have a trick to get this retainer back in place?

Attachments

• 20090405-mirrorpost.jpg
    20090405-mirrorpost.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 216
Here's a pic of the back of the mirror and a pic of the mirror housing removed, making it easier to get at that spring. I used a set of vise grips to press down on the retainer clip. I had to put all my 175 lbs :)  to bear down on the clip to compress the spring enough to grip the post. Then for good measure I kept the grips in place and gave it a couple of whacks with a plumber's wrench. :) ... didn't have a hammer handy. :)  A note to those who may attempt this, don't press down on that spring too much or you'll never be able to move the mirror again. I pressed too much and when I went to move the mirror... after I had it all back together...including putting the mirror back on... the spring was under so much pressure it popped off the retainer clip. Had to start all over again.  :E:  Eventually I flattened out the tabs on the retainer so that it would have extra bite on the post when it was in position.

By the way, I did make a short video clip, about 5MB. What the best way to  post it here? Assuming it can't be uploaded, can I post a link to it if I upload the image somewhere else?

Attachments

• 20090405-mirror.jpg
    20090405-mirror.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 208
  • 20090405-mirrorpost2.jpg
    20090405-mirrorpost2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 211
Back