• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

wiper arm problem - slipping

0luke1

After having my windshield replaced and my hood replaced in the same week**, the passenger side windshield wiper is slipping on the post. I pried off the cap and tightened the nut - it worked for a while, but then quit.

Since I'm not sure which shop did the damage, I'd prefer to fix it myself as it will take less time than arguing.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you.

Luke

** for those who love the details: The hood was damaged by a falling tree limb (while parked) and the windshield had a highway stone chip which immediately migrated into a crack.

I would bet on the windshield place, don't know why the hood place would have to mess with wipers. You may not want to mess with it cause if it turns out that it is the shaft that has been stripped then you may end up having to shell out some $$$$ for a replacement. I would take it to them and see what they say at least.

One thing that you can try is what I just found out yesterday. I was talking with my father and mentioned that the chuck on my drill press kept breaking loose and I was having a hard time keeping it on. What he said was to take the cuck off and put a little spit on the shaft. The acid in your saliva will cause it to rust a little very quickly. This may be just enough to hold it in place. I replaced my wiper arm on my passenger side and never have had a problem with it slipping. It was very hard to take the original off as it was stuck on the shaft.

I doubt there is any actual damage on your truck though. The hood work wouldn't require removing the wiper arms but the windshield would for sure as we can't flip up and lock our arms off the windshield. The shaft is smooth and the hole in the wiper arm looks like it is splined but this is normal so it's not like they stripped anything in the process of removing the arms.

I hope this helps and let us know either way.

Here's the resolution: I took off both bolts and saw that there had been blue locktight on them. I cleaned everything up and applied new blue locktight and used a socket to tighten them down.

Worked like a charm.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Back