• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best mod for the money???

BuddyP

I have a '03 5.3L Av. What is the best mod for the money to wake it up a bit? Power programmer? CAI?

Not sure what the 'best' is, but my first was an upgrade to my exhaust system followed by the Hyptertech Programmer.  These two mods woke it up.  (y) 

At least it woke it up and sounded great!

BuddyP said:
I have a '03 5.3L Av. What is the best mod for the money to wake it up a bit? Power programmer? CAI?
The AV is a hard beast to wake up. With its weight and TM (torque management) it has poor low end acceleration.
To wake it up you would have 3 or 4 choices:
1) For instant gratification get a Supercharger or Turbo
2) Get a cat back or to save $$$'s get a high flow muffler and install it in place of the OEM muffler
3) Get a CAI it won't help much at low end but with #2 and #4 combined it will
4) After you have #2 and #3 get a custom tune or even better a dyno tune as this will bring the exhaust and CAI together so that there is a benefit and "synergy" of all 3 items together.

HTH

I upgraded my exhaust system and won an CAI...It woke my AV up a bit and Like Roarin mentioned, it sounds great too ?:B:

rodi_1877_39504976

close thread...

>:D

Down in Louisiana... 03 no cladding with 130 thousand miles here. I had a cat converter go bad and had a Flowmaster Big Block muffler installed then HPTec III tuned to 87 octane so far...I couldnt believe the difference. Added a Volant CAI and really couldnt tell much if that helped. The only thing is the roar if you pulling something from the Volant...dont like that.  The exahust muffler was less than $200 installed which is cheaper than a Cat-back system and you still retain your stailess pipes! Hyper Tec III I got off of Ebay for a $150. This is definitly a way to go and feel the change in the seat of your pants!

Back