• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

installing flip down monitor

grnxnam

SM 2006
I've installed my own stereos for years, but have never installed a monitor.  I'm gonna attempt this very soon.

Its an 8" flip down.  How long should I expect this to take?  will I have to drop the whole headliner?  If so, how do I do that?  I'm nor afraid of removing what needs taken out to do the install, I just want to be sure I know what I'm in for. 

Has anyone installed a flip down in the front where the cubby is?  I'm thinking about that location to use it as either a back up cam monitor or a 2nd screen for my laptop GPS. 

1.  how long should this install take?
2.  remove the headliner?
3.  install in front cubby location possible?
4.  Hints or suggestions?

don't want to take down the headliner.. that will take at least an hour or more just for that.

just give it to me.. you know you are going to anyway.

:jacked: Dune,  just sharing info with you

FYI...

set of tires
2 12? subs
midgate
work in progress midgate speaker box
dvd player
monitor
extra remote
jump seat
cluster
2nd cluster lens
triple flag mount w/ flags
misc wiring and cables
plastic piece that goes across the rear of the cab?by bottom of midgate
hood (on the porch)
3 packs LED?s
3 10? light bars
MAFS
foot locker of cleaning supplies (hardly used)
foot locker of tools/ misc parts
OEM air box
Antennae
6 ratchet straps
misc tools and ?extra? or non-reinstalled pieces

Hey Bro!

You?ll need all day.  Dropping the headliner is the easy part, its running all the wires that will take you the longest.

Do not use the power wire from the dome light to power the TV itself.  I lost 3 TV?s due to power spiking.  Although I could never prove it was that wire that caused it, when I ran a new one off the fuse box, it hasn?t happened since.  If you have lights on the TV you?re installing, use it for them.

As for the location, that would be different and less time for running wires and dropping the headliner, but I think you?ll run into problems leveling the screen.  I would stick to the back over the dome light.

Also, make sure you place a piece of foam over the plate that comes with the TV mount.  It will keep it from potential rattles.  (I learned the hard way on my first setup) 

Hope this helps.  PM me when you get it installed and have fun :wave:

grnxnam said:
I've installed my own stereos for years, but have never installed a monitor. I'm gonna attempt this very soon.

Its an 8" flip down. How long should I expect this to take? will I have to drop the whole headliner? If so, how do I do that? I'm nor afraid of removing what needs taken out to do the install, I just want to be sure I know what I'm in for.

Has anyone installed a flip down in the front where the cubby is? I'm thinking about that location to use it as either a back up cam monitor or a 2nd screen for my laptop GPS.

1. how long should this install take?
2. remove the headliner?
3. install in front cubby location possible?
4. Hints or suggestions?

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DROP IT.

For front cubby pull it out, remove driver side visors and one screw that holds the front of the headliner up, pull off side a pillar cover and side fuse cover, runn all your wires this way, No need to pull the headliner down, Just tuck up under and run through hole where front cubby hole was, Use block of wood 1X2 and 2 inches longer on each side of cubby hole, slide wood block up in and secure monitor with screws.

If need to go for the center light pull light down, too easy, pull front, rear and then center plastic covers on drivers side door seal plates and b pillar cover, run a coat hanger to the center where light is and pull wires back through head liner and run wires down b pillar through door sill track and then up to fuse box and into where you need it.

Can post pics later. if you have ?s

Sam

Check Here.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,54983.20.html

Sam

in an 02, the overhead light has 3 wires...black, white and orange. 

black=ground, white=door triggered and orange =12V constant....is this correct?  Nope, don't have a muliimeter with me. :E:

I DID MINE IT TOOK ME ABOUT 8HRS I DROPED THE HEADLINER. TAKE YOUR TIME . IT SHOULD TURN OUT REALLY GOOD.

SamHouseIII said:
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DROP IT.

For front cubby pull it out, remove driver side visors and one screw that holds the front of the headliner up, pull off side a pillar cover and side fuse cover, runn all your wires this way, No need to pull the headliner down, Just tuck up under and run through hole where front cubby hole was, Use block of wood 1X2 and 2 inches longer on each side of cubby hole, slide wood block up in and secure monitor with screws.

If need to go for the center light pull light down, too easy, pull front, rear and then center plastic covers on drivers side door seal plates and b pillar cover, run a coat hanger to the center where light is and pull wires back through head liner and run wires down b pillar through door sill track and then up to fuse box and into where you need it.

Can post pics later. if you have ?s

Sam

Hello I'm also interested in installing a flip down in the middle dome light, can you show some pics and give a detail process, I would really appreciate it, I'm planning on doing this project this weekend, thank you

Back