• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Car Or Truck License Plates?

What Kind Of License Plate Does Your AV have?

• Truck

Votes: 293 80.7%
  • Car

Votes: 37 10.2%
  • Specialized Plate Doesn't Say

Votes: 33 9.1%

• Total voters

ColoradoAV

SM 2003
Just curious :). I find it strange the way our AV doesn't have truck plates. Is this a mistake or would the AV just be considered an SUV so it shouldn't have truck plates? When I'm paying attention, it seems like every other Avalanche I see has truck plates.

I don't want to consider the AV an SUV. I'd rather just consider it a really, really fancy pickup that's extremely versatile ;D. I'd rather see the 3 letters "TRK" for truck on our CO plates than nothing except for the numbers.

I just went in yesterday and got my Tag. I am running a truck tag on mine. I am in Kansas. What they told me was the weight of the vehicle is what made it go to a truck.

kegger said:
I just went in yesterday and got my Tag. ?I am running a truck tag on mine. ?I am in Kansas. ?What they told me was the weight of the vehicle is what made it go to a truck. ?
Dang! ?I wish that was the case on ours! ?That would easily make it a truck!

What kinds of plates do you Coloradans have?

Went out and got the Oregon Crater Lake plates on the day that they were first issued. Had some people tell me they were fake plates (since they are not embossed).

The title and registration says its a truck!

My Avalanche has NON COM truck plates here in Ohio. I was told if it has a bed then it is a truck. I beleive the sticker on the door says the AV is a MPV,just like my mini van but I have truck plates. I dont care what the plates say even though the truck plates cost a little more.

spork_av said:
goo, that classified yours as a passenger truck? shouldn't that read RICE-TRK instead? ;D
And shouldn't yours read NERF-TRK >:D

It took me 5 months to respond to this!

spork_av said:
goo, that classified yours as a passenger truck? shouldn't that read RICE-TRK instead? ;D

goo929 said:
And shouldn't yours read NERF-TRK ?>:D

It took me 5 months to respond to this! ?

Lets play nice children or there will be no cookies today >:D

Howdy!
Here in CT we are not able to use passenger plates. Need a COMBO plate which is a truck plate. Pay according to the weight......

:eek: :cool: :eek:
:2:

Your choice in Illinois...I put my car plates on cuz you can't drive trux on the Boulevard (tickets) but you can drive 'em if they're plated as a car...
Mine is classified as a "carryall" (like the Suburban)...I realize that it loses some of the grunt factor with car plates but I can drive it anywhere. :B:

I currently am driving a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban.
It is allowed on the parkways since it is a "car".

I am getting an Avalanche in the near future, and wanted to make sure that in fact my truck could be plated as a carryall in New York State.

If anyone has a NY avalanche, please inform me if you have car or truck plates because i want car plates.

Anthony

Here in Texas it's hard to understand. I've got truck plates, because it is a truck I suppose.
On SUVs it is hard to tell. Some are registered as a car and some as trucks. My Navigator was a truck, but many others were cars. Suburbans the same way.
Goo, being a local guy, can probably unscrew the Texas law.
Inquiring minds want to know.

New York has commercial and passenger plates. Commercial plates can be considered equivalent to truck plates. There are disadvantages to commercial plates: they cost more, there are roads restricted to no commerical traffic, and tolls can be higher in some areas.

One of the deciding factors in New York was the back seat. If it didn't have a back seat, or it was a temporary folding back seat it must have commercial plates. My old S-10 extended cab had to have commercial plates, because the jump seatrs in back didn't count. The laws have been relaxed recently and non-commercial trucks can be registered as passenger if they meet a complex set of restrictions.

I think the fact that it has four doors and a real back seat gave me some options. I had my Av registered as a suburban class vehicle with passenger plates. To do this I cannot have business graphics on it, nor have ladder or lumber racks on it, nor carry more than 500 pounds in the back. Most of these don't bother me. The weight limit is a bit bothersome, but should rarely affect me.

-- SS

I live in Pa. i see Avalanches with truck plates but my Av. has a Wild Resource plate which was transfred from my 91 S10
The registration says its a station wagon, just got new reg. in the mail same class cost 36 dollars a year ;D

Mine does not have truck places, thankfully.

In Texas, if it is classified as a truck, insurance can get away with not insuring parts of it unless you specify them on your policy. If it is not specified as a truck, you can get away with much more :)

Perpendicular said:
Mine does not have truck places, thankfully. ?

In Texas, if it is classified as a truck, insurance can get away with not insuring parts of it unless you specify them on your policy. ?If it is not specified as a truck, you can get away with much more :)

How did you get car tags? I wasn't given a choice. Does the dealer decide? ???

In Minnesota, it falls under just standard plates. The only time you see "truck" plates is for delivery of business use trucks. All pickups, SUVs and cars have the same plates. For me, I am using "Critical Habitat" plates where I pay an extra $30 per year and that goes to the conservationist/habitat fund in Minnesota.

Jamie

Back