• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'05 Av with Bose - What Speakers?

Hawk397

What size speakers do I need for a full replacement?  Any recommendations based on experience?

Thanks!

Mark

They did it in 02, and again in the 03 plus with the garbage amps.. Except the lux systems.

The speakers aren't the main problem,. If it doesn't sound good to you, it's the amp. The crap amp is really garbage. Why Bozo would put their name on it really makes me wonder, but again, that's Bozo for you.

Two methods to improve the audio if you want to keep the stock HU:

Audio adapters and the level you wish to invest into an aftermarket amp (and THEN speaker replacement).

Or IF he can do it.. Have the HU Reprogramed to a luxury system type by machomachodan, and install a lux amp. (`needs a rewire of the amp connectors). You can add pocket tweeters,  and with an add-on amp, perhaps a larger woofer. Point is, these amps are clean and linear. The drawback is the lack of more highs & lows. IMO, mine sounds fine as is - without it. AND with the same Bozo stock speakers! , but your ears may want more..

Size? I never had to replace mine but 6? or 6? come to mind. Someone will confirm it.

Bozo may use 3.2Ω voice coils. An OLD, Old standard. so 4Ω is the closest. Someone may have done it on those amps that'll be able to comment on it.

Remember... Garbage in = Garbage out.

thanks!  what does it take to program a HU to lux?  Tech II?

Thanks, Mark

Nope! Service depot level (or  better?) - special programming. :E:

I honestly don't see the reason anyone would invest hard earned cash in a stock "upgrade" to a reprogrammed head unit and another factory amp when you can have 100% better sound quality with aftermarket gear. The real questions are:

What is your budget...........

and

What are your expectations and desires for the aftermarket system?

Easy. Aftermarket, there's no stopping! >:D

A factory Lux sounds excellent and likely better sounding than a $500 investment in aftermarket audio.

That's about what it would cost for the change, retail.

Why invest in a 4KW killer system if you don't need to shatter hospital windows?

The OEM Lux approach is easier IMO, than hanging a bunch of adapters on, unless you want that killer setup.

My Lux amp sounds great, but it sure wont compare to a high end system. Cost Vs. performance, how loud & clean do you want it?

Stock stuff isn't attractive to the crooks as some whiz-bang brand name performance unit. And you get stuck with a higher ins premium if you want retrofits covered.. Usually anyway.

The functionality of (some) adapters tend to be poor, sluggish, unresponsive, and/or quirky...

You spend half of the (equivalent to OEM) aftermarket upgrade trying to recover the factory functionality. - Then need a new alternator/battery system if you want to improve on that awesome thundering system that you tear up your truck to make it fit.

Some of us don't need or care for that level,  flashy chrome and extra whiz-bangs of the one-size, fit's all aftermarket equipment. And some do. Be glad we have the choice. :)

I'm debating this subject now.? Should I go with a TNR and lux amp or start with an aftermarket nav and gradually keep going.

Interesting comments about adapters being "sluggish", what are you referring to?

Lux TNR kit - $2,100
Lux Amp -? ? ? $? 300
CDX -? ? ? ? ? ? ?$? 200
Total -? ? ? ?$2,600

or

Pioneer Nav - $1,200
XM Traffic? -? ? $? ?200
Amp -? ? ? ? ? ? ?$? ?350
Adapters -? ? ? $? ?350
Speakers -? ? ? $? 600
Total -? ? ? ? $2,700

:help:
Thanks!

Mark

You're a little light on the budget for the amp.? $350 isn't much.

I'd do the speakers first.? I did this with my last car that had the Bose system and it made a big difference.

I have an 05:

Front door speakers are 6 3/4" - 6 1/2" will fit
Pillar tweeters - 1" or smaller would fit fine
Rear door speakers are 6 3/4" - upgrade to a good coaxial speaker
Subwoofer - I haven't dug into the factory sub (I have the factory Bose system)

Ok, heres where I think I'm going to go.  For now, I'll keep the stock HU and the stock amp to drive the stock sub.  I'll add the following now:
Infinity 4-Channel Amplifier (7541A) Amp
Infinity 6-1/2" Loudspeaker (6012I) Rear Door
Infinity 6-1/2" Component System (6010CS) Front door and A-pillar

When I'm ready, I'll add a console sub box and amp to replace the factory stuff.

This looks like a pretty easy to go route.

Any comments (I can take it!)
Mark

Hawk if you take all your bozo components out, i would be interested in buying them.  PM me if youre interested in selling them.

The speakers are out now, but the amp and sub will be staying in for a while until I replenish my funds to replace them.

If you want just the speakers now, let me know.

Mark

Hawk397 said:
I'm debating this subject now.? Should I go with a TNR and lux amp or start with an aftermarket nav and gradually keep going.

Interesting comments about adapters being "sluggish", what are you referring to?

Lux TNR kit - $2,100
Lux Amp -? ? ? $? 300
CDX -? ? ? ? ? ? ?$? 200
Total -? ? ? ?$2,600

or

Pioneer Nav - $1,200
XM Traffic? -? ? $? ?200
Amp -? ? ? ? ? ? ?$? ?350
Adapters -? ? ? $? ?350
Speakers -? ? ? $? 600
Total -? ? ? ? $2,700

:help:
Thanks!

Mark

Mark,

I think this is the way to go, The factory upgrades are nice, But I believe you get more for the same amount of money going with after market equipment vs. stock.

Sam

Back