• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Gas Mileage/ Towing Capacity

R96wagon

:help:Should my gas mileage be affected if I install 22" wheels and tires? Will the tires affect my towing capacity in anyway (Increase or Decrease)?

Greetings.  I used my 05' this summer to tow to Mytle Beach from Philly and MPG only went down when I laid on it.  I'm running 20" on mine.

Could effect towing if wheels and tires are not rated at OEM specs ....

Ie load rating...

as for MPG....if same OD, weight then MPG would be about the same....

If the tires are the same OD but a more aggressive tread pattern or wider then you will see an effect on gas mileage. 

More foot print or "stickier" or aggressive tires makes for more resistance thus causing more drag and making the truck work a little harder.

Hate to resurrect the dead, but I have a question about towing and could not find the answer with the search.

If I plan to tow a 5500lbs boat 6hr over mostly flat land, should I use the tow/haul button. I will be cruising at interstate speeds 65-70 for most of the way.

I have the 04 Av with 3.73 and 5.3L.

I tow the boat all the time without tow/haul for short distance and the truck does fine. Just wondering since I will be on the road for a while should I do anything dif.

Thanks,

I would use the tow/haul mode because that helps protect the trans. You do whatever but I always felt that GM supplied that option for a reason and so therefore I used it when I had it.

x40oz said:
Hate to resurrect the dead, but I have a question about towing and could not find the answer with the search.

If I plan to tow a 5500lbs boat 6hr over mostly flat land, should I use the tow/haul button. I will be cruising at interstate speeds 65-70 for most of the way.

I have the 04 Av with 3.73 and 5.3L.

I tow the boat all the time without tow/haul for short distance and the truck does fine. Just wondering since I will be on the road for a while should I do anything dif.

Thanks,
You'll do better than me.  Mine just clocked in at 8.8mpg, pulling about 6klb 8 hrs. 3.08 gearing & 5.3L.   I had huge cross-sectional area though--an rv.  First few hours were done at lower average speed, and I clocked in at 9.3mpg.  Those extra 10mph over 55 really do a number on the 3.08 gearing when you're pulling a parachute behind you.  

Back