• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tire Chains & Info for the Avalanche?

pmkanitra

I live in Lake Tahoe and recently bought a Chevy Avalnache 1500 - Z71.

It's starting to snow up here and if I'm going to get over the mountain ever to Sacramento or San Francisco... the rumor is I'm going to need snow chains. (I just moved here)

Does anyone know if you can put snow chains on an Avalanche? If they're needed? If so, what type, and size?

Any info will be helpful... thanks.

PMK

Read this thread:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,55646.0.html

Ps Welcome to the club!! :welcome:

You know, I never thought of clearance.  Luckily I haven't used the ones I picked up at a garage sale for $10.  They might work though, I guess I will just put them on and see how much slack I have.  Hope they work, I want extra money to go to mods, not chains.

So I look at the chains I bought at the garage sale and they meet class S requirements for size.  Is this the correct class requirements for our truck?  I hope so as I don't want to spend money on chains, again.

I ordered a set online from www.vulcantires.com

The ones I ordered, Super Z6 by SCC? (# SZ447) exceed Class "S" clearance standards, and only require 6.3 mm (1/4") clearance.? Work with electonic traction control systems and ABS? brakes.? For $106, they were shipped to my door, and include a sturdy nylon carrying bag, and the rubber tensioners.?

I had purchased a set from Pep Boys, but only met "S" class clearance.? Those were part #ST747 and were $97.50 and came in a crappy plastic box.

Edit:  BTW - I have a '02 Clad Z71 and running 275/70/17s on stock Z71 wheels.

:eek:
ygmn said:
I do not think the AVY can have chains....as stated in the manual...

the rear brake lines and parking brake cable are too close and may get ripped off if memory serves me correct...

there is a lengthy post somewhere either in the offroad tire section or Mod tire/wheel section about chains on tires...check it out.
:eek:  :eek:  :eek:

I guess the 2 sets I bought 6 years ago better be checked for clearance.  I think I already checked them but I can't remember well that far back.  So far good tires and 4 wheel drive are all I ever needed in snow.  And I have played in some deep stuff on the mountain without any problems.  Even passed the stuck snow plow on one mountain road.

INresponse said:
:eek: :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

I guess the 2 sets I bought 6 years ago better be checked for clearance.  I think I already checked them but I can't remember well that far back.  So far good tires and 4 wheel drive are all I ever needed in snow.  And I have played in some deep stuff on the mountain without any problems.  Even passed the stuck snow plow on one mountain road.

I'm there with you.  I just don't want to get stopped by chain control (or screwed because I don't have them) when headed to CO.

MyBigToy said:
If I remember right, most of the places I've seen signs say chains or 4-wheel drive needed.

That's usually the case, but as far as CA is concerned, even 4-wheel drive vehicles are required to carry traction control devices in chain control areas.  So the last thing I need is to be be stopped even before my trip really begins.  I have been stopped before because of this and fortunately for me I had some with me and was allowed to proceed.

I just called the dealer and they couldn't even find any information to help me.  /sigh

Ok here are a couple of picts i snapped off real quick..  its raining so picts arnt as good..

It looks like there is enough room..  I dont know if the z71 is different in anyway..

Im going to climb up in there later when the sun comes out and see if i can get a better picture...

Attachments

• chains 012.jpg
    chains 012.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 134
  • chains 013.jpg
    chains 013.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 135
CLavD said:
I ordered a set online from www.vulcantires.com

The ones I ordered, Super Z6 by SCC  (# SZ447) exceed Class "S" clearance standards, and only require 6.3 mm (1/4") clearance.  Work with electonic traction control systems and ABS  brakes.  For $106, they were shipped to my door, and include a sturdy nylon carrying bag, and the rubber tensioners. 

I had purchased a set from Pep Boys, but only met "S" class clearance.  Those were part #ST747 and were $97.50 and came in a crappy plastic box.

Edit: BTW - I have a '02 Clad Z71 and running 275/70/17s on stock Z71 wheels.

These look good..  I think these are the ones im going with also...
only 1/4 inch thick on the backside..
I saw them on a couple of other sites for about $75...

Attachments

• 51CKXHERP7L__SS400_.jpg
    51CKXHERP7L__SS400_.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 516Z1N0DX4L__SS400_.jpg
    516Z1N0DX4L__SS400_.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 119
Apparently Les Schwab has their own branded cables they say will work on it for 89.  Not sure if I'm going this route, but I haven't had any issues with stuff I've gotten from them in the past.  I think I'll have to stop by and see what they have to say...

in my research today,,? ?(while watching the webcams at mammoth/tahoe)

I found theses..
They look good for snow/sand/mud..?
Trying to find info online from people that have used them. (other than there reviews on there site)
I dont like the fact that they have a gap inbetween the traction pads..

http://www.flextrax.com/index.php
Check out the videos also.. 
I do like the fact that all the parts are replacable if they break or wearout.. 

ajk2000 said:
in my research today,,  (while watching the webcams at mammoth/tahoe)

I found theses..
They look good for snow/sand/mud.. 
Trying to find info online from people that have used them. (other than there reviews on there site)
I dont like the fact that they have a gap inbetween the traction pads..

http://www.flextrax.com/index.php

Definitely look interesting.  Let us know what you find out

It's snowing up in Tahoe right now....    /drool

If all goes well tonight/tomorrow morning  this will be me tomorrow:

snowboard.gif

crashs said:
If all goes well tonight/tomorrow morning? this will be me tomorrow:
?
snowboard.gif

:E: Wish i could hit mammoth this weekend.. more so i wish June was open...  Prob wait till after the holidays to go up...  Long range forcast shows snow coming in on the 17th or so..  I figure it should be good and nice by jan. when i go up..

Looking at those photos above I think I checked mine out years ago.  I planned on having the chains 'favor' the outside so as to keep the inside portion as far up on the sidewall as possible.  Well, high enough to keep it away from anything important.  Just like those photos show the brake lines are no where near the top of the sidewall.  Besides, I always carry bungie cords and after I get the chains tight with their adjustment I take out any slack with the bungies, criss-crossing them on the outside of the chains in a "V" formation.

Enjoy the snow, but you probably wont need the chains.  I went through some pretty deep stuff and it only slowed me down a little.  Now, on lots of ice you may need the chains to get some grip.

heading to the mountains this weekend and were getting dumped on.. 
Ordered the sz447's..  picking up in the morning.  I let you guys know how they fit..

It looks like they ride real high on the tire and only 1/4" thick on the backside.. 
Not alot of options out there so if these dont work were screwed..

Back