Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/26/14 02:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Chains & Info for the Avalanche?  (Read 4096 times)
pmkanitra

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 11/29/05 11:37 AM »

I live in Lake Tahoe and recently bought a Chevy Avalnache 1500 - Z71.

It's starting to snow up here and if I'm going to get over the mountain ever to Sacramento or San Francisco... the rumor is I'm going to need snow chains. (I just moved here)

Does anyone know if you can put snow chains on an Avalanche? If they're needed? If so, what type, and size?

Any info will be helpful... thanks.

PMK
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 11/29/05 11:52 AM »

Read this thread:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,55646.0.html

Ps Welcome to the club!! Welcome!

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Prime Power

Customize or it's not yours

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 11/29/05 01:52 PM »

You know, I never thought of clearance.  Luckily I haven't used the ones I picked up at a garage sale for $10.  They might work though, I guess I will just put them on and see how much slack I have.  Hope they work, I want extra money to go to mods, not chains.
Prime Power

Customize or it's not yours

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 11/29/05 05:02 PM »

So I look at the chains I bought at the garage sale and they meet class S requirements for size.  Is this the correct class requirements for our truck?  I hope so as I don't want to spend money on chains, again.
CLavD

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 12/15/05 02:03 PM »

I ordered a set online from www.vulcantires.com

The ones I ordered, Super Z6 by SCC  (# SZ447) exceed Class "S" clearance standards, and only require 6.3 mm (1/4") clearance.  Work with electonic traction control systems and ABS  brakes.  For $106, they were shipped to my door, and include a sturdy nylon carrying bag, and the rubber tensioners. 

I had purchased a set from Pep Boys, but only met "S" class clearance.  Those were part #ST747 and were $97.50 and came in a crappy plastic box.

Edit:  BTW - I have a '02 Clad Z71 and running 275/70/17s on stock Z71 wheels.

« Last Edit: 12/15/05 02:07 PM by SoCal Avy » Logged
crashs

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 12/02/07 07:07 PM »

Does anyone know if these will work on the 07s clearance-wise?

Thanks!

2005 SBM LT

Black 2007 LT - long gone!
crashs

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 12/06/07 08:48 PM »

Bumpity bump

Help me!

2005 SBM LT

ajk2000

Money's Not Worth Anything, Till You Spend It....

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 12/06/07 10:22 PM »

dumping in mammoth today...  2 feet expected over the next 2 days..  come on...  some one   anyone??

2007 Summit White Z71(2wd), Ebony , Nav(cam) , Tint, Billet BowTies, 8000k HID Lows, Ambers, Headrest mod, Bed tent, Coastal tech GX320, Low Profile SteelSlide, LED Tails,  More Mods to come...
crashs

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 12/06/07 10:49 PM »

2 feet in 2 days?   There should be some pretty kick-ass freshies as soon as it lets up.

2005 SBM LT

INresponse
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Remember when people used to be proud of America?

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 12/06/07 11:32 PM »

Shocked
I do not think the AVY can have chains....as stated in the manual...

the rear brake lines and parking brake cable are too close and may get ripped off if memory serves me correct...

there is a lengthy post somewhere either in the offroad tire section or Mod tire/wheel section about chains on tires...check it out.
Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

I guess the 2 sets I bought 6 years ago better be checked for clearance.  I think I already checked them but I can't remember well that far back.  So far good tires and 4 wheel drive are all I ever needed in snow.  And I have played in some deep stuff on the mountain without any problems.  Even passed the stuck snow plow on one mountain road.

Born On Date: 9-8-01
2002 Z71 Avalanche, 5.3  ATI Procharger with intercooler, custom cold air intake, HP Tuners, 4.10 gears (formerly 3.73), Fire and Ice light bar, Patriotic emblems, US Speedo stainless face plate, Patriotic 3rd brake light decal, Refinish Restorer, Additional GM trans cooler, Manic stainless brush guard, 160,000+ miles, and a big brother named RAMalicious.
crashs

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 12/07/07 09:41 AM »

Shocked Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

I guess the 2 sets I bought 6 years ago better be checked for clearance.  I think I already checked them but I can't remember well that far back.  So far good tires and 4 wheel drive are all I ever needed in snow.  And I have played in some deep stuff on the mountain without any problems.  Even passed the stuck snow plow on one mountain road.

I'm there with you.  I just don't want to get stopped by chain control (or screwed because I don't have them) when headed to CO.

2005 SBM LT

MyBigToy

Too much power is just enough!

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 12/07/07 10:05 AM »

If I remember right, most of the places I've seen signs say chains or 4-wheel drive needed.

2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, body-color taillight covers, custom metal rear step bumper. Self-tuned with HP Tuners software.

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/Special Appearance Pkg
crashs

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 12/07/07 10:25 AM »

If I remember right, most of the places I've seen signs say chains or 4-wheel drive needed.

That's usually the case, but as far as CA is concerned, even 4-wheel drive vehicles are required to carry traction control devices in chain control areas.   So the last thing I need is to be be stopped even before my trip really begins.  I have been stopped before because of this and fortunately for me I had some with me and was allowed to proceed.

I just called the dealer and they couldn't even find any information to help me.   /sigh

2005 SBM LT

ajk2000

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 12/07/07 10:56 AM »

Ok here are a couple of picts i snapped off real quick..  its raining so picts arnt as good..

It looks like there is enough room..   I dont know if the z71 is different in anyway..

Im going to climb up in there later when the sun comes out and see if i can get a better picture...

2007 Summit White Z71(2wd), Ebony , Nav(cam) , Tint, Billet BowTies, 8000k HID Lows, Ambers, Headrest mod, Bed tent, Coastal tech GX320, Low Profile SteelSlide, LED Tails,  More Mods to come...
ajk2000

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 12/07/07 10:57 AM »

couple of more

ajk2000

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 12/07/07 11:04 AM »

mammoth got 12-24 inches yesterday and its still dumping

« Last Edit: 12/07/07 02:59 PM by ajk2000 » Logged

crashs

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 12/07/07 03:25 PM »

snow =  Thumbs up!

2005 SBM LT

ajk2000

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 12/07/07 04:10 PM »

I ordered a set online from www.vulcantires.com

The ones I ordered, Super Z6 by SCC  (# SZ447) exceed Class "S" clearance standards, and only require 6.3 mm (1/4") clearance.  Work with electonic traction control systems and ABS  brakes.  For $106, they were shipped to my door, and include a sturdy nylon carrying bag, and the rubber tensioners. 

I had purchased a set from Pep Boys, but only met "S" class clearance.  Those were part #ST747 and were $97.50 and came in a crappy plastic box.

Edit: BTW - I have a '02 Clad Z71 and running 275/70/17s on stock Z71 wheels.

These look good..  I think these are the ones im going with also...
only 1/4 inch thick on the backside..
I saw them on a couple of other sites for about $75...

crashs

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 12/07/07 04:50 PM »

Apparently Les Schwab has their own branded cables they say will work on it for 89.   Not sure if I'm going this route, but I haven't had any issues with stuff I've gotten from them in the past.   I think I'll have to stop by and see what they have to say...

2005 SBM LT

ajk2000

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 12/07/07 05:47 PM »

in my research today,,   (while watching the webcams at mammoth/tahoe)

I found theses..
They look good for snow/sand/mud.. 
Trying to find info online from people that have used them. (other than there reviews on there site)
I dont like the fact that they have a gap inbetween the traction pads..

http://www.flextrax.com/index.php
Check out the videos also..   
I do like the fact that all the parts are replacable if they break or wearout..   

« Last Edit: 12/07/07 05:52 PM by ajk2000 » Logged

crashs

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 12/07/07 05:54 PM »

in my research today,,   (while watching the webcams at mammoth/tahoe)

I found theses..
They look good for snow/sand/mud.. 
Trying to find info online from people that have used them. (other than there reviews on there site)
I dont like the fact that they have a gap inbetween the traction pads..

http://www.flextrax.com/index.php

Definitely look interesting.   Let us know what you find out

It's snowing up in Tahoe right now....    /drool

If all goes well tonight/tomorrow morning  this will be me tomorrow:

2005 SBM LT

ajk2000

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 12/07/07 06:52 PM »

If all goes well tonight/tomorrow morning  this will be me tomorrow:

banghead Wish i could hit mammoth this weekend.. more so i wish June was open...  Prob wait till after the holidays to go up...  Long range forcast shows snow coming in on the 17th or so..  I figure it should be good and nice by jan. when i go up..

INresponse
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Remember when people used to be proud of America?

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 12/07/07 09:15 PM »

Looking at those photos above I think I checked mine out years ago.  I planned on having the chains 'favor' the outside so as to keep the inside portion as far up on the sidewall as possible.  Well, high enough to keep it away from anything important.  Just like those photos show the brake lines are no where near the top of the sidewall.  Besides, I always carry bungie cords and after I get the chains tight with their adjustment I take out any slack with the bungies, criss-crossing them on the outside of the chains in a "V" formation.

Enjoy the snow, but you probably wont need the chains.  I went through some pretty deep stuff and it only slowed me down a little.  Now, on lots of ice you may need the chains to get some grip.

Born On Date: 9-8-01
2002 Z71 Avalanche, 5.3  ATI Procharger with intercooler, custom cold air intake, HP Tuners, 4.10 gears (formerly 3.73), Fire and Ice light bar, Patriotic emblems, US Speedo stainless face plate, Patriotic 3rd brake light decal, Refinish Restorer, Additional GM trans cooler, Manic stainless brush guard, 160,000+ miles, and a big brother named RAMalicious.
ajk2000

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 12/19/07 02:32 PM »

heading to the mountains this weekend and were getting dumped on.. 
Ordered the sz447's..  picking up in the morning.  I let you guys know how they fit..

It looks like they ride real high on the tire and only 1/4" thick on the backside..   
Not alot of options out there so if these dont work were screwed..

RENORCR
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

(aka "RENO") Too many mods, too little time!!!

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 12/19/07 03:28 PM »

Here's one I have been checking into for ease of installation.
It's by Spikes Spider

Here's a link to the Install & Removal of Spikes Spider

« Last Edit: 12/19/07 03:33 PM by RENORCR » Logged

2003 1500 Z66 Black (SVO/PI) - BLT: 11/02  Arrived: 4/03
Light Mods: Amber FT/DRL's, Blue/Red LED, Hood Light, Kickpanel lights, Maglight mod
Ext Mods: FTS8002, Z71 Skid Plate, Frt/Rr Combo WAAG guards, Manik Taillght Guard, Custom Frt/Rr 2500 Wheel Moulding, Husky MudGuards
Engine Mods: 145 Amp Alt, Aux Trans Cooler, Flexalite Oil Cooler, Painless Dual Battery
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: