• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Can You Tow a Trailer with the Tailgate Down?

pokee

Hi,

One of the things I'd like to do with the AV if I buy it is haul a dirtbike (or two) with the tailgate down (and midgate up so kids can sit in the back seat) and also tow a travel trailer.  I've read some posts that have concerned me that the tailgate being down would get in the way of the tow hitch.

Can anyone tell me if the above is possible and how much clearance there would be between the tailgate and the hitch?

Thanks!
Paula

Depends on trailer..... and hitch insert for ball.....

this would be true for any tow vehicle....

ygmn said:
Depends on trailer..... and hitch insert for ball.....

this would be true for any tow vehicle....

Okay - more specifically, if we were to tow a 24' travel trailer that had a hitch height of 22 - 24" and a ball size of 2 5/16" - could we have the tailgate down?

It seems to me, since a hitch for heavy trailers is mounted to the frame this is quite low and shouldn't restrict the tailgate at all.  But of course, what the heck do I know - that's why I am asking!!! ???

Has anyone had any problems lowering their tailgate while pulling a larger trailer with a fairly high hitch height?

Thanks again!
Paula

My only experience is with the trailer in my signature. The tongue jack is just high enough that it almost hits the tailgate handle bezel when the tailgate is down and in a resting position. If you push down the tailgate, there is enough flex that it hits the bezel. I already have a little ding on the bezel from it, if I were to drive with the gate down, I'm sure it would bounce enough to really do a number on it.

The tailgate is really easy to remove. Is that an option?

-- SS

I can't put the tailgate on my TT all the way down when hooked up.  The trailer tongue jack gets in the way as it sits in the inside of the front of the a-frame part of the trailer. 

This will be true for pretty much any of the larger TTs since only popups have those tongue jacks that you can swivel side ways.

Otherwise, I could probably put it down all the way.

ImanX said:
I can't put the tailgate on my TT all the way down when hooked up.? The trailer tongue jack gets in the way as it sits in the inside of the front of the a-frame part of the trailer.?

This will be true for pretty much any of the larger TTs since only popups have those tongue jacks that you can swivel side ways.

Otherwise, I could probably put it down all the way.

Same here.......our tailgates are a bit taller than most and with the Gas tanks and the jack up there on the tongue of the trailer my tailgate would not drop all the way down while hooked up. I suspect even if it will drop down with your trailer hooked up you could not leave it down because it would hit the tailgate while turning corners.

Butch

It's reallt dependent on the trailer and the equipment on it.  If it's set up with a long tongue with no really tall items up front, it would work fine.  If it has a short tongue, it could just as easily smack the tailgate on turns.

You're going to have to hook it all up and experiment for yourself.

Biggest issue is when you turn corners. If your tongue jack doesn't hit, things like propane tanks, etc might.

There are extenders sold for pickups that have slide-in campers. Think of it as a very long hitch shank. Supposedly these work, but they will definitely require that you have a good weight-distribution setup.

Thunk of something...

With 2 motor cycles, 4 passengers, gear etc etc....

PLUS you wanna tow a travel trailer?

ya might want to check your weight numbers...as you could exceed the gross vehicle tow numbers pretty easily as well as the truck cargo weight

Z66 BUTCH said:
Same here.......our tailgates are a bit taller than most and with the Gas tanks and the jack up there on the tongue of the trailer my tailgate would not drop all the way down while hooked up. I suspect even if it will drop down with your trailer hooked up you could not leave it down because it would hit the tailgate while turning corners.

Butch

Ditto, I would think a 24' toy hauler trailer might be more in order ???

4rvfun said:
Ditto, I would think a 24' toy hauler trailer might be more in order ???

Depends on if he has a 2500 or not. Most toyhaulers, except for the smallest featherweights, are too heavy for a 1500.

Pokee:

I wondered if you resolved this issue.  I justpurchased a new 05 Av and I checked the setup before I bought it. 

I will be hauling a Honda Rancher with the gate down or two Honda Dirt bikes.

My WDH sits well below the gate and the jack on my Rockwood Roo is back far enough that it doesn't appear the gate will hit except for a jack knife.  Anyway. I think I can change the jack and resolve the issue - if it is an at all.

Anyway let me know your thoughts.

Well:

I'm worried about the same thing, but in the test last night I had to be almost jackknifed for the tailgate to hit the jack.  But, I still may look into a different jack.

Bet you felt bad. 

Back