• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

AC suddenly blows hot air

txlaw2002

I have a problem where my ac will suddenly blow extremely hot air .  Then when I turn the truck the off and turn it back on, the ac will blow cold.  I took it to the dealership about a month ago and was told that they were unable to duplicate the problem.  Therefore, they did not do anything.  Then I did not have any problems again until yesterday.  It started doing it again so I dropped everything that I was doing and took it directly to the dealership.  The service advisor experienced the problem and then they turned the truck off.  (I also noticed that the drivers side blows really hot air while the passenger side blows cool (not cold) air.  When they started it back up, to service it, the ac was working fine.  So they ran the history on it and discovered that it had 2 codes for an actuater.  The problem they say is that there are 4-5 actuaters and they don't know which one to replace.  Therefore, I just have to take my truck back and bring it back when it does it again.  Not satisfied I called the Chevy customer service who basically told me that since the ac is now working there is nothing that can be done and if it happens again I should bring it in so the dealership can experience the problem (which is exactly what I did yesterday). 

Any ideas about what I should do or thoughts as to what the problem is ?  Also is there a TSB that may address this?  I need something storng to address the dealership with.  I know I am not the only one who has had this problem.  Thanks for your help. 

this won't help you but, mine does the same thing :cautious: On hot days it blows hot humid air, I just turn the a/c off and then turn it back on and it works fine. Not a permanent fix but at least I have cold air instead of hot air :p

Guys and Gals,

http://www.clubarmada.com/showthread.php?t=1434&page=7&pp=10

Seems like nissan has this same issue with their titan and armadas too.

There fix is to install new o-rings or fans and reprogram the ecm to keep the condensor engaged longer and not kick off at temps above 109 degrees.

Maybe our problem is similar.  Maybe we can add a fan where required to keep the airflow accross the required part.

I remember someone mentioned that the engine didn't get enough airflow causing the ac to cut off and blow hot air.  Mine does that also and I wouldn't mind adding a fan to cool down the required part.

I don't want a flexilite because i have heard that they are noisey.

Andrew

MY 04 DOES THE SAME THING, BEEN IN SEVERAL TIMES, THEY HAVE DUPLICATED THE PROBLEM BUT HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIX, IT'S IN THE BLEND DOOR, OPENING WHEN IT SHOULD NOT LETTING HEAT IN, A PAIN IN THE A#$, ROB

I have had this problem a couple of times.  What I tried was to adjust the climate control to the maximum hot temp.  It seems to turn off the heat and resets the temp. controls.  Then lower the controls to cooler temp.  This has worked so far.

Well I got the av back and the problem eventually happened again.  Of course I knew it would.  The strange thing is as soon as it begins blowing hot air (only of the drivers side) I will pull over turn the truck off and turn it back on.  Then the ac will blow cold air again.  I'm sure it is a vent door that is sticking although I can't get the dealer to agree with me.  They only want to see it when I can bring it in while its blowing hot air, which seems to be at a time when I can't drop everything and take it to them.  Some reason I don't think the av is the only thing blowing hot air.  They should be able to figure out what door it is by the fact that it is only the drivers side blowing hot air.  I'll let you know what happens.

I LOVE A LOT ABOUT MY AV BUT GM'S NOT KNOWING HOW TO FIX A PROBLEM AND OFFERING NO HELP OR RECOURSE ON A PROBLEM THAT THERE ARE AFEW OUT THERE IS PISSING ME OFF AND STARTING ME RETHINKING MY GM TOTAL VEHICLE LOYALTY....

My 02' is having the same problem.  Now it just blows hot air.  At first I could fix it by turning the climate knob.  Now just hot air.  I'm taking it in tomorrow.  I'll let you know what they say.

The guy put a new low pressure switch on.  About a $20 part you can do yourself.  My air is working, for now.

I had the same problem with my 02.  They replace the entire A/C console, but that did not fix it.  They gave me a new alternator, but that didn't fix it.

I changed my DirectHits spark plugs with Taylor Thundervolts with NGK Iridium Plugs and that fix it.  User error from the start. . .

My av does the same thing, Just on the drivers side and when i turn the key off and back on, It works fine till the next time?

jteez here..my neighbor is having the same problems..here is his post..somebody out there has or had the same problem..

First, I's like to say that it has only taken me a few months to finally come on board.  My neighbor really pushed me for ambers and I finally "got it".  However, I would like to find out if anyone else has had a problem with their A/C.  I have had my "Avalanche" in the shop 2 times for a "what seems like a "hot" air issue.  The air is cold then hot.  The dealership tells me that "i have to wait for it to cool down before it gets cold."  DUHHHHHH!!!!.  I Know, but once it gets cold, it shouldn't get hot afterwards.  They ran every test on it and siad it is running fine.  NOT!  A/C's take a sec to get cold, but shouldn't get hot afterwards.  Anyways,  I am stuck with an A/C that is cold then hot.  Then it gets cold and stays cold.  As a matter of fact, it only seems to happen when I am at a stop or slowing down.  any help would be appreciated.  I own a 2002 Chevy Avalanche, 1500 Z66 5.3 ltr.  I have never had this problem before.  The Dealership can't find anything wrong.  I JUST went over 36000 miles.  All issues occurred before the warranty expired, but it seems like no one want to "dig" into the issue.  Compressure and condensor unit is fine.  HELP!  It's HOT in SC!

thanks for any help..he is taking it in monday to capitol chevrolet for them to look at again for the 3rd time..thanks yall..//jt

SO it gets hot when sitting at stop sign and engine idle?

Check fan clutch....

Mine has been doing this for 2+ years. It always mid afternoon and will blow hot for 4 or 5 minutes then blow cold as ice the rest of the day. It always blows cold in the morning and at night, only mid afternoon if I leave work :(

Well mines back in again for them to experiment on, working with factory engineer, it actually to to high heat the other day in the vent position !!! stay tuned film @ 11 !! Rob

This is my update after getting the AV back from the dealer for the 3rd time on this issue.  I was able to bring it to them when it was blowing hot air on the drivers side and cool air on the passenger side.  I was very specific that they can't turn the AV off because it will reset the problem and they will not be able to observe the problem themselves.  So the service guys went and got a computer and plugged it in and messed with the ac.  They crowed around the AV so I could not tell what they were talking about but there were some numbers on the computerthat gave the impressions that something was not responding.  Then they turned off the AV and turned it back on.  The AC worked fine.  They told me they knew what the problem was, a control panel???? I got the AV back and the paper work says that the cause is "actuator stripped" and actuator and/or motor, electric temp door left replace. 

I hope this works. 

I have an 04 AV and have been fighting the same issue all summer (in Arizona temp's).... driving down the road enjoying the cool air and bam! the air starts feeling like its coming from a furnace.? Absolutely horrible and no indication of when its going to happen.? Restarting the vehicle was the only way to get cold air again.

The first time I took my AV in for this problem, they replaced the seals in my compressor and recharged the system.? I drove around for about a week until it occurred again.

The second time I took it in, they said the codes indicated an actuator problem... actuator was replaced (which one, I don't know) and so far so good.

In my family, we have two 2003 Chevy Suburbans, one 2003 Yukon, and my 2003 Avlanche.  All four vehicles had the exact same symptoms of hot air blowing`while the AC was on.  We have all had the pressure/cycle switch replaced, and the problem, for now, has not not repeated itself.

Thanks to this board for the help with my "Suddenly AC blows hot air, drivers side only".
If I stopped and did a restart, things worked for awhile.
Later, I had the code read with the "Tech 2", and the dealer only could get old code,
B0408, they checked the rightside dash connections per a service bulletin, but it later failed again.  But then I was able to take the truck back, and while stilled failed, and they hook up to the Tech 2 again, and still running, and they found B0408, and B0263 this time.? They replaced the Actuator, part # 89018374, reset all codes.

So far so good.? While in failure mode, truck running the Tech 2 showed the values of the Actuator to be way out of range.

Update, two days later, I have the same failure again, and now will have to take it back in while blowing hot, and have the Tech 2 read things again.

Turan-Foley in Gulfport MS, went out of their way to try to read the code, after hours, and even did the first check and replug, reprogram in the service lane the first time I stopped by at 5:40.? The second time it was almost 5PM on Sat. when I got to the service lane with the AC in failure mode, and they read the code, then ordered parts, set a future appointment, and called me when the repair was completed.

I changed the battery on my '06LT. When I connected the negative terminal I got a large spark. Now, the A/C blows nice cool air on the drivers side, but hot air on the passenger. I've checked all the HVAC fuses, both at the end of the dash and under the hood, they're good. Tried cycling though the various settings.defrost, dash air, foot air, etc. same thing. Blows hot air on the passenger side on all settings. Tried both manual and auto, same thing. Any ideas?

farmguy said:
I changed the battery on my '06LT. When I connected the negative terminal I got a large spark. Now, the A/C blows nice cool air on the drivers side, but hot air on the passenger. I've checked all the HVAC fuses, both at the end of the dash and under the hood, they're good. Tried cycling though the various settings.defrost, dash air, foot air, etc. same thing. Blows hot air on the passenger side on all settings. Tried both manual and auto, same thing. Any ideas?
Farmguy, unplug the controller from the dash and wait a few seconds and plug it back in and it should get the actuators back in sync. If not....time to replace the actuator.

Back