• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Just installed my Dual Exhaust on my 2500

MountainMax

Hey guys, like promised, I just got back from Holidays and I have my dual exhaust installed, it sounds sweet, I love it. Here are a few pics, what do you think about the location and angle of the exhaust tips??

Attachments

• Dual Exhaust2.jpg
    Dual Exhaust2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Dual Exhaust3.jpg
    Dual Exhaust3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 231
Looks good MountainMax, was the position your 1st choice...I only ask cuz I've seen 'em in front of rear wheels on trucks that launch boats.

Uhm, perhaps would have been a little KEWLER looking if you had them straight out the rear....... but its still kewl!

I like longer tips.
And they appear to be a little far back for my taste.

I had mine tucked up in the frame and angle out rignt behind the rear
wheels,w/ 18" SS tips.

If I bottom out I still will not pinch them shut, however i have riped the pipe open with the welded ss hangers before, and split a tube open! :rolleyes: Dont know what I could have done to do that?

it's all done for reasons,,,,, I don't have them straight back cause I tow a trailer and the exhaust will spit on my trailer, if I had them out the side you cant hear it from the rear, so I went on a 45, The reason I put them back so far is because of sound in the cab, further back less sound in the cab, finally the tips are resonator tips and they are tucked in level from straight down from the bumper so people, especially me, won't bank the legs off on them........... But glad you like them, if you don't thats' fine, everyone can't like everything.............:)

Two more pics, oh, the mufflers are the 14256 Polished stainless steel Magnaflows at 18" long each, with resonator tips......

Attachments

• Dual Exhaust7.jpg
    Dual Exhaust7.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Dual Exhaust9.jpg
    Dual Exhaust9.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 199
Did you get muffler polish for those bad boys?  And why do your shocks have leg warmers on 'em?  >:D  Just joking.  I couldn't help it!  :2:

Seriously though, have you noticed a difference in seat of-the-pants power after eliminating the single tailpipe?  The first half of the stock exhaust is nice and beefy.  Looks low restriction till you get to the Y-junction just after the rear axle where it goes to one pipe.

I'm curious how it sounds.  I'll bet that it sounds good!  First impression on the tips and location is kind of...not sure.  But from your logical reasoning, it makes sense to have the tips where they are. 

Thanks, it sounds awesome, with the shorter mufflers then everyone recomends it sounds a little louder but curising at 100km/h she's quiet as a mouse inside the cab and a nice sound outside, then when you bring the revs up to 2500 she gets louder, im gonna try to get some audio clips soon. The mufflers are dirty now from my trip home on lots of dirt roads, will clean them up for better pics later and yeah, I have Mothers aluminum/steel polish....hehe.... As for the shocks, all the dirt road driving up here I had to put some extra protection on the bottom of the shocks,  to protect them from being destroyed AGAIN.........

Looks good Mountain Max

My exits are just behind the splash guards where the factory exit is only both sides- I went the Flowmaster Big Block series muff- 2 in & 2 out.

Sounds deep, nice rumble.

Do you have any resonance around 2000 rpm? I have a little.

Avalon

Nice! Having a hard time getting anyone to dual my 2500 Avy. They all say something about hitting the control arm? Anyway, I now know it can be done and now I have pics to prove it! Would love to hear it run!

They typically don't want to do it because of the second gas tank, but it has been done.

I have full duals on mine also but both exit in the factory location.. Not new in pics so a little road grime..

Attachments

• 2013-03-28 18.43.02 - Copy.jpg
    2013-03-28 18.43.02 - Copy.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 2013-03-28 18.44.00 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    2013-03-28 18.44.00 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 82
I originally had a Flowmaster dual in/out with dual 2-1/2 out the side but the Flowmaster rusted out so I went to the SS Magnaflow's. It's real tuff for a shop to bend up the pipes to clear everything plus 99 percent of them can't do the mandrel bending, it's tight under there. I bought pre-bent side exit pipes at Summit and built my own in the driveway. Better job than the shop that did my first exhaust work.

It's not in this picture but there I did put a heat shield over the pipe where the shock is. It wasn't getting hot in normal driving but I was worried that on a long hill pulling my boat it might get warm..

Attachments

• 2013-03-28 18.42.37 - Copy.jpg
    2013-03-28 18.42.37 - Copy.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 81
I can't seem to find those pipes on Summit. Are the pipes connected/welded together? So you just hooked up mufflers to stock pipes that connected to old muffler? What about hangers for the new pipe?

They show them as not available but with the part number you should be able to somewhere else.. And they don't come welded together, you have to , line the first pipe up to the muffler on the drivers side, cut the other tube in the middle and rotate it so that it lines up with the other muffler. Tack it and then pull it down and weld it all the way around then put it back in place and weld it it. I put flanges on mine so I could replace the muffles or pipes don the road if I didn't like it. You have to buy hanger rods and bushings, mine are all hanging on the factory rods except the very back one by the spare tire.

When I did mine the pipes were $50 each and the mufflers were $80 each, so with the flanges, hangers and bushing I did it all for around $300. The last time I looked the pipes and mufflers had gone up quite a bit.. But the shops all wanted $900-$1000 to do the same job with 2-1/2 pipes and it would not have been mandrel bent..

Crude drawing but you should get the idea..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-15003

Attachments

• Tailpipe.jpg
    Tailpipe.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 65
Got my exhaust put on yesterday! Sounds beast!! Flo Pro Max dual in dual out and custom tail pipes. Get to test er out today towing the camper!
20150722_192653.jpg

Back