• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear Axle Shaft Change

jowkiwi

Have to remove an axle shaft to get straightened (Dont let your nephews hit curbs).
Was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to email me the parts manual page anthe service manual page on removing the axle.

Thanks
John Williams
Down under in New Zealand.

John,

Do not have the information you are looking for, but had question for you.  What was the culprit that led you to the rear axle shaft being bent.  I have 07 LTZ Av and about a year ago had new brakes and rotors but on.  Over the period the year, I have heard rubbing/grinding sounds which are rotational and only occurring when braking (at least cannot hear the same sounds when moving at any speed without braking).  Anyway, pads have been replaced at least three more times (warrantied them out) and same old thing happens.  recently (within last month) had left front wheel hub replaced as it went bad, and thought maybe that was culprit, but sounds still there, again only when braking and not constant when braking.  Anyway took it back last week and they said the right rear axle shaft was bent, which is causing the wobble and sound when braking.  Now if bent, I would think it would be a constant sound, but then again maybe not.  I have not jacked her up to see if the wobble is there but was just curious what led you to know the axle shaft was bent?  Thanks.

He has not logged on in a year.
Doubt he will read this.

Would never attempt to straighten the axle and reinstall, anyways. Probably got the old axle out and when he took it somewhere to ask to be straightened they probably just looked at him like, "what the hell are you smoking?" or if he called first they thought it was a prank call and hung up. 

For the cost of straightening an axle (If you could even find a place to do such a thing), you may as well buy a new axle shaft by Dorman. Rock auto has it for $145 P/N 630-120.

Back