• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Overhead console gauge pod - Anyone out there have one installed?

TheDAYS~R~US

Thanks for all of the posts on the transmission oil cooler in the past.  We've read it over and over and over again in deciding if we should get one, which one we should get, DIY install vs dealer, and then of course, getting and mounting trans temp gauges.

We've decided to go ahead with the factory cooler (#12497071) and install it ourselves on our 03' Z71. 
Thanks again montana-av for your pics on this, and mjmenke, disneydaddy, and sthomp for awesome advice and hopeful help on the install - I'll let you know how it goes. 

My question is, we've narrowed down some options for aftermarket transmission temp and oil temp gauges and mounting gauge pods.  We're not interested in getting a replaced cluster.

We're pretty sold on the Auto Meter overhead console dual gauge pod (#105-18022) and were wondering if anyone out there actually had one of these installed in their Av?? 

We like the overhead console look, as it's out of the way.  Just curious to know if anyone has any tips for install or what to look out for.  If it gets too nightmarish, I think we'll end up going with the dual a-pillar pod mount (#105-15104).  Can't get the full pillar mount as we've got the Bose stereo and the tweeter gets in the way.  Another reason we like the overhead console mount.

Thanks!

I know that Lord Aries (tos) has an overhead console gauge pod that sits behind the cubby hole and leave it (the cubby hole) alone ...it also has 3 openings in it.... I remember him saying it was for a dodge but the fit was perfect.
I have also added the factory cooler in my '03 z71... it is not easy... the hardest part was getting the old return line out and the new in...it was like threading a needle (worse).... this may have been covered, but, get a dentil pic set from Home Depot (tool dept.) it will help w/ the quick connect (not quick DISconnect).
Good luck and you are welcome to PM me w/ questions.
It is a good DIY project and one you don't need a buddy with.
I think it took about 2 hrs.
Damon

edit for clearification

oh yeah... welcome to the club!

I have the 18022 on order, it's been shipped and I'll have it next week.  I'll let you know what I think after I receive it.

Don't be suprised if it is installed by velcro. It's a pretty sweet setup. I helped Aries install his about 2 weeks ago. Nice install. The hardest part was getting ignition power to the gauges. Soldering a wire behind the accesory fuse block inside the truck was a bit fiddely. but Soldering is better than scotchlocking. Those are 22 ga wires and the wire you need to power the gauges should be 16-18 gauge because you need to split the power 3 ways for 3 gauges.
Good Luck
JB

Just received my Autometer overhead console 2 gauge (for 2-1/16" gauges) pod.  It comes black, I haven't decided what color to dye it yet:
    charcoal like my a-pillar pod
    tan like the overhead console
    leave it black like the mirror

It is just loosely sitting there in the pctures I am attaching, the fit is better than it appears in these pictures.
This mount comes in 2,3 and 4-gauge versions, they center on the mirror stem.
Picture quality is lacking, but you'll get the idea.

Attachments

• Console Gauge 1.JPG
    Console Gauge 1.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 705
  • Console Gauge 2.JPG
    Console Gauge 2.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 471
I like 'em...those will be the guages I install ... when I install gauges.

Thanks for the pics!  It was bigger than I was expecting.  The installed pic on AutoMeter's website is obviously not an Av - so your pics really help to get a better idea of the space it's going to take up.  (y)

I know we're definately going with the dakota digital gauge - they look so much cleaner.  Just haven't decided yet if the mount will be a dual overhead pod or a self-install in the open compartment under the vent and to the right of the dual air control in the mid-dash. 

If we do the dual pod, we're going to get oil temp and trans temp.
If we do a self-install in the dash, it's just going to be trans temp.

Attachments

• Console Plate.jpg
    Console Plate.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 441
Autometer Overhead Triple Gauge Pod installed...with two gauges so far.
Had to go with the triple gauge pod, the dual gauge version landed on the onstar gps box that is mounted on the windshield (not an issue if you have a 2003 or newer model).  Unfortuately mine is mounted somewhat far to the right of the mirror stalk and moving it is a fairly big job.

Sorry for the poor pics, I'll get better ones up later.
First one shows the tire pressure for all four tires on the left hand gauge.
Second shows the tire internal temperature of all four tires.
In both cases, the right hand gauge is a voltmeter for my second battery.

Attachments

• OverheadConsolePod_Pressure.JPG
    OverheadConsolePod_Pressure.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 364
  • OverheadConsolePod_Temp.JPG
    OverheadConsolePod_Temp.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 361
This is the one I bought:

newergauges.jpg

I got the black anodized one and it looks stock.? I also got the version with two toggle switches to the right of the gauges, for things like on/off for the flux capacitor, etc.

Find out more here:  http://socaldiesel.com/

Updated pics

Attachments

• Gauges over mirror 1.JPG
    Gauges over mirror 1.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Gauges over mirror 2.JPG
    Gauges over mirror 2.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 236
updated sig

Attachments

• AV_sig3_gpventures.JPG
    AV_sig3_gpventures.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 84,169
nice looking set of guages!

I might get one of these; I just don?t know what gauge to add.? I like the set you have.

index.php

I'm kinda partial to the one naked av posted...it is a bit price at 125

Loggie said:
I might get one of these; I just don?t know what gauge to add.? I like the set you have.

Suggestions:

Transmission Temp
Oil Temp
Volts (for second battery)
Tire Pressure/Temperature

If you have (or want) forced induction:

Air/Fuel mix
Exhaust gas temp
Head Temp

BigBlackAv said:
I'm kinda partial to the one naked av posted...it is a bit price at 125

You get what you pay for.  The SoCalDiesel is a quality piece....not sure you could say the same for any of the other parts.

Back