• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

burnout questions and airbag module rattle

maw05

im new here. had my 02 avvy since it was new but i just found these forums. ive got a Z71 and i cant get it to do a burnout or "powerbrake" as some people call it. i hold the gas and brake and it will rev to about 2500 and stay there like the computer isnt letting it break the tires loose. is this something i can change or get around??

also, my airbag module in the steering wheel seems to be loose. it moves up and down about 1/4" and rattles loudly when im driving on bumpy roads. is there an easy fix for this or is it something the dealer will have to do?
thanks!!

Why suddenly do you feel the need to do burnouts ???

i dont. ive never been able to do them. i just now found this site, thats why im just now asking about it. got any useful information?

The AV has what they call "Torque management" in its PCM program. It limits torque beyond what is necessary to save wear and tear on drivetrain. You can get one of many programmers or a custom tune from various programmers to remove the torque management if you so desire and then you can begin to break stuff at will. In addition you could do a turbo or supercharger or nitrous or heads and cam and break stuff real good :love: :love:

thanks for the info. ive been looking into buying a programmer anyway. ive got a couple friends with tahoes and they will burn the tires all day it seems like. then i tried it one day and it didnt do shat.... anybody know anything about the airbag module being loose??

Don't forget to come back and Female Dog about how crappy the truck is because this and that broke and it cost you a fortune to fix. >:D

By "torque management system," Cadboy means that they put a 5.3 liter engine in your Avalanche, which is an enormous truck. Hence, no burnouts. My first S-10 pickup had a torque management system, called the 2.2 liter L4 engine.  ;D

If you are so eager to break things just do a nuetral to drive drop and grab the brake with your left. You should be able to rev up to over 4k then slap the tranny from Nuetral to drive. The tranny will engage with a serious amount of torque. If you dont snap your u-joints the tires will light up and you can burn them up.
Good Luck

Some of you guys need to reach down and double check that everything is still there, if you know what I mean.

Powerbraking isn't something I like to do...but if Chevy really sold a truck that couldn't handle it all day long, I would be driving a Ford.  Come on people...get real.

ok... old post but just a funny idea here...

now, its not like i was planning on doing this... hehe, ok maybe..,
but i got the hypertech... so no torque management options available at this time... all in due time folks, efi live is planned - so without taking out torque management and supposedly risking unnessessary damage :)

how bout a simple solution?  buy a windshield washer pump... fill it with something.. bleach, soapy water, etc and aim the nozzles at the rear rubbers, should get them tires going easy w/ little damage done
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

seriously though... did it to my old vw bug cause that car needed some help getting the rear to swing around, years ago... but i'm actually contemplating this for the truck... sometimes its fun to get some fishtailing action!

laugh, go ahead, hell i'm laughing, cant believe i'm contimplating doing this but, hey, i got 496ci of supposed american muscle.. and it wont break tires loose at will!!! c'mon chevy, i want some tyres smokin every once in a while

PS>  in case you read any of my other posts about MPG's... its things like this that keep the truck under 8mpgs

hahahaha
:woot: :woohoo: :woot: :idiot: :drive: :cheers: :cheers:

Hey MAW, don't let the girls scare you away from doing burnouts..... >:D

I would say that I have spent two years wrenching on my truck and probably have built as much power as anyone on these boards and have never broke a single item on my truck. I am putting out north of 500 rwhp and up until two months ago, running that on a stock tranny and rear G80.

With that said, torque management is the wrong answer in this case. Torque management is used to protect the undersized 4L60E tranny during shifts by pulling timing during the shift.... I can show you logs of brake stalls where timing is not pulled by torque mis-management.

There are several reasons you can't burn tires by brake stalling a 6000# truck with 4 wheel disc brakes and an ABS system with an under powered 323 c.i. motor. If you buy a tuner and turn off torque mis-mangement 100%, you still will not be able to burn tires... some inexperienced people will suggest it, but it is only a pipe dream.. many on these boards have tried that route and failed, and yet people still recommend it....

start buying power adders..... smoke will magically appear and Goodyear's stock price will start moving north.... >:D

motodj said:
ok... old post but just a funny idea here...

how bout a simple solution? buy a windshield washer pump... fill it with something.. bleach, soapy water, etc and aim the nozzles at the rear rubbers, should get them tires going easy w/ little damage done
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:cheers:

That is a HELL OF AN IDEA !!!  My only complain

why didnt you post it sooner :p

You could put the pump and the tank in the front of the saddle bag and run the hose out the bed drains.

Shanes 02 Avalanche said:
If you are so eager to break things just do a nuetral to drive drop and grab the brake with your left. You should be able to rev up to over 4k then slap the tranny from Nuetral to drive. The tranny will engage with a serious amount of torque. If you dont snap your u-joints the tires will light up and you can burn them up.
Good Luck
:drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: smok'in :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: (I know how you feel,a guy at my job got a dud lamb I can out run him, but can't out smoke e'm)

sad part is someone will have it done b4 me now.. .  shoulda just kept quite for a month or so... then soon you'd have to be filling with antifreeze, LOL

i wanna find a way to get a more "Posi" burnout though, even in the slick - fresh rain... the truck wont slide for crap (at speeds above 30<--- please dont try at home) HaHa :laugh: :laugh:

7000lbs will get a sway or drift pretty easy... if its movin fast enough

anyways  i got to find a way to stiffen the clutch plates or something... its a one wheel deal... and its a freakin 496... wheres the "power" man  (n)

although it'll turn em' at 20 mph on dry roads with a trailer!  but off the line its a pooch, but added weight doesn't slow ya either?

Lil posi... lil liquid... and easy "drivetrain friendly" burnout
could put in some of that tacky stuff they use at the strip if ya got a fast truck... would aid in the first 60 alot on the street

bleach makes smoke but with the hoses/pump i used it does deteriorate

windshield washer fluid worked great... but those toys had a "posi" slide this truck does Too Good at trackin where ya turn

Like Flabouy, I'm now to the point that I have to worry about burnouts instead of traction.

Here's what a lifted AV looks like smoking the tires:

Attachments

• windy2.jpg
    windy2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 168
I don't get it guys ??? my 03 avy burns out at any intersection at any time just from flooring the gas and holds the burn out for a good 30 feet or so! :cool: i dint know why you guys can't?

When I was running the OEM tires I could spin them with ease. When I changed to BFG KO's, then I could not do  burn out without a lot of effort. Now I am running Geolanders and they have pretty good traction also. Right now I can do a 4wd burn out all the way down the street or across the mall parking lot, but it is snowing and Icy.

Shanes 02 Avalanche said:
When I was running the OEM tires I could spin them with ease. When I changed to BFG KO's, then I could not do  burn out without a lot of effort. Now I am running Geolanders and they have pretty good traction also. Right now I can do a 4wd burn out all the way down the street or across the mall parking lot, but it is snowing and Icy.
that does help  :laugh:

I had the drivers modlule rattle (sounded more like a higher pitched ticking rattle).? I brought it in under extended warranty and they replaced it.? It would have been $700+ without the warranty.

As for the burnouts, I guess I never thought about doing one in a truck with a $750/mo payment.? I don't think I even did one in high school.? I never had the need to destroy my car for other people's amusement.

It's like when I am out on my motorcycle and people are signaling me to do a wheelie.? Right.? I am going to risk breaking my face and destroying my bike so I can entertain you.? And then when I crash you can keep going.? All I can think when they do it is "here's an idea, how about YOU get one and do it.? Because otherwise it just looks gay when you try to get other people to do it."

Yea, it would be nice to smoke the tires at will, but with a two and half ton truck, and only 295hp (2004), it aint happening.
I live with it.? :E:

TIETANIC said:
I had the drivers modlule rattle (sounded more like a higher pitched ticking rattle).? I brought it in under extended warranty and they replaced it.? It would have been $700+ without the warranty.

As for the burnouts, I guess I never thought about doing one in a truck with a $750/mo payment.? I don't think I even did one in high school.? I never had the need to destroy my car for other people's amusement.

It's like when I am out on my motorcycle and people are signaling me to do a wheelie.? Right.? I am going to risk breaking my face and destroying my bike so I can entertain you.? And then when I crash you can keep going.? All I can think when they do it is "here's an idea, how about YOU get one and do it.? Because otherwise it just looks gay when you try to get other people to do it."

Dude you sound like a huge pansy,

why dont you lighten up a little.......if the guy wants to do burn outs let him....it is his truck after all......

and you talk about your motorcycle and wheelies.....im goin to assume you have a crotch rocket because its would be the most sensible to do a wheelie on.  In which case.....why the @#$& do you have one......thats what they are for.....going fast and showing off......not having a baby seat on the back.....

ok ok, no i'll admit, i'm on the other end of that spectrum...
  >:D

but i wouldnt pay 750 /month for something i couldnt "use"

and... ok abuse too
but i'm just givin another thumbs up for those who i entertain.... and who entertain me!

ps, got a pic of my bike after i painted it, first time "I" painted anything...
all me, sanding, prepping and sprayin.(it shows)
lol,
sorry pic blurry, think this is the one a buddy sent me on my cell phone, cheap compressed images...

but enjoy your truck the way you want to...
could always look into a "line locker" for the front brakes...
If that sounds foriegn, send me a message and I'll elaborate

drive safe everyone
hey ma' ,  did ya see, i wore my helmet today!

Attachments

• wheelie.JPG
    wheelie.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Dads Camera 4 5 07 037.jpg
    Dads Camera 4 5 07 037.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 87
talk b0ut tooo many mods to list...

lol, i really like how my exhaust turned out...
chopped the can, took almost 10 inches off (titanium and NO color/burns in it :) )

and i used the ceramic exhaust wrap for the headers, turned out REALY nice, i love the look

anyways, some have asked to see the bike, soooo here's my baby

jplumer said:
Dude you sound like a huge pansy,

why dont you lighten up a little.......if the guy wants to do burn outs let him....it is his truck after all......

and you talk about your motorcycle and wheelies.....im goin to assume you have a crotch rocket because its would be the most sensible to do a wheelie on.? In which case.....why the @#$& do you have one......thats what they are for.....going fast and showing off......not having a baby seat on the back.....

I don't give a frogs fat a$$ what he does with his truck and I don't think he cares what I think either. ?What I said was, that I don't tear the crap out of my things so other people will look at me.

As for having a motorcycle, I don't see why you care, but if you must know, I have it because it gets 56mpg and I have a 140 mile commute. ?Maybe they are for going fast and showing off for guys who need to compensate for their feelings of inadequacy or for something else, I don't know, I don't care, and I don't give a **** what other people think of me or for wasting my time working on impressing other people.

As for the pansy comment- where I come from, I don't know of many guys who use the word in conversation. ?If I am a "pansy" because I don't want to wrap myself around a tree, replace busted parts on my truck from abuse, keep having to replace tires, brakes, etc so I can get people to look at me, I guess you're right. ?You are way cooler than me.

Back