• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Sirius, XM Work on Interoperability Issues

sperry

Silent Avalanche RIP
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
Sirius, XM Work on Interoperability Issues

Executives with Sirius and XM sent a letter to the Federal Communications Commission saying they are on track with efforts to include radio technology that's interoperable between the two satellite radio services.

In the letter, XM and Sirius said they have designed and licensed receiver systems that share a common head unit, antenna and wiring harness, while other entities are responsible for the manufacture and distribution of their satellite radios. Several aftermarket and OEM radio manufacturers produce head units that operate with receiver boxes for either service, the companies said, and at least one automaker factory installs head units and antennas compatible with both satellite radio systems.

The current configuration allows consumers to purchase a trunk-mounted box for either satellite radio provider without disturbing the rest of the components, the letter stated.

The companies also said they are optimistic that, at a minimum, a prototype for a complete interoperable radio, which includes a receiver, a common antenna and two baseband modules (one for each service), will be completed this year.

XM and Sirius said so far they have spent $5 million on the interoperable effort. "Simply put, Sirius and XM have invested considerable time, effort and money designing, launching and operating systems compliant with the commission's rules, including an interoperable radio design offered to manufacturers," the letter stated.

In February 2002, XM and Sirius signed a joint development agreement to develop interoperable technologies, and interoperability between systems is required by FCC regulations.

So basically they are doing what the FCC is making them do. I just dont understand why they are making them do it ???

cadboy1 said:
So basically they are doing what the FCC is making them do. I just dont understand why they are making them do it ???
  The only thing I can think of is that if the hard parts will accept either service, it will encourage more competition in the maket place.  Customer service, programming and pricing is what would keep customers not how much it will cost to replace the receiver so that a subscriber can check out another service provider.

Now if that is the reason, Why don't they do the same with satelite Television.

I am considering adding a receiver because now that I have had the chance to use XM I wish I would have ordered it on my '05.  My quandry is with XM giving up NASCAR in '07 I would tend to lean toward  SIRIUS.

Back