• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Adjusting Fog Lights

jst4f

Charter Member
SM 2003
???My fog lights seems to be aimed too close to the front of the AV. I can't figure out how to adjust them. There is nothing listed in any of our forums and I couldn't find anything in the Owners Manual.

Does anyone know how to adjust the fog lights?

Thanks
Jst4f

There is a bolt or screw to the left of each foglight housing that will raise or lower the angle of the beam. It helped a ton on mine. With the switch to 50 watt fogs, and raising the beam, I don't have to take my blackouts off at night ;D

Although I haven't adjusted my light I have seen some adjustment screws on the light housing behind the bumper. If you do a little experimenting I'm sure you could get the job done. I would think the light should be adjusted on the road fairly close to the front of the truck.

rogerh said:
Although I haven't adjusted my light I have seen some adjustment screws on the light housing behind the bumper. If you do a little experimenting I'm sure you could get the job done. I would think the light should be adjusted on the road fairly close to the front of the truck.

I used my fog light this morning for the first time. I was not pleased in that the fog lights did not seem to help me see further down the road. The fog lights just seemed to illuminate the ground from the front bumper area to where my regular low beam headlights touched the ground. This is my first experience with a vehicle with fog lights and I'm wondering if they need adjusting to where they will point the beams further down the road or is "adjusted on the road fairly close to the front of the truck" what I should expect. I saw no real benefit by their usuage, so I enventually just turned them off.

Roy in Tampa

Roy

adjustment and 50watt fogs will make a BIG difference in how much you can see at night.

jw

Agent Maxwell said:
Roy
adjustment and 50watt fogs will make a BIG difference in how much you can see at night.
jw

I'll second that statement!

I have the blackout headlight covers on, which severly reduce the headlights.
Ever since I upgraded to the 50 watt fogs, and adjusted them to aim higher, they work better than the normal headlights did before I coverd them up. Now I don't have to bother removing the covers at night! ;D

ZimmsAv said:
I'll second that statement!

I have the blackout headlight covers on, which severly reduce the headlights. ?
Ever since I upgraded to the 50 watt fogs, and adjusted them to aim higher, they work better than the normal headlights did before I coverd them up. ?Now I don't have to bother removing the covers at night! ;D
Knowing that that is illegal, is that really the image you want to project of a supposedly clean, wholesome, law-abiding club such as CAFCNA? ;)

Thank you all for the replies. I found the screws and "screwed around" and it helped. When I had the AV is for general service, I was told the fogs were too high and they adjusted them for me, free of charge. Oh well, they were trying to be of help. Now that I know what to do, it isn't too hard.

I guess the next step is to use 50W bulbs. Is there any problems using them, like melting wires or plastic covers? Are they legal?

Thanks

jst4f,

Alot of people are running the 50 watt fogs without a problem.

I run mine now more than ever and have experienced no problems.

jw

Just installed my 50 watt Sylvania 885 fog lamps. They are just as bright as my low beams. I have Silverstars but haven't installed them yet.

There is no issue with law enforcement unless your lamps are angled too high and acting more like "high" beams. Besides, aren't fog lamps supposed to be on when there is fog? If you like them on all the time, that's OK too but I think it takes away from the amber DRL's during the day.

I did turn them on on a fogless night and went on a 1.5 hr freeway drive. At the end of the drive, the housing didn't feel unusually hotter than when I had the regular 27 watts on.

Here is a picture ?comparing the 50 watt bulb (driver side) and the 27 watt bulb (passenger side).
I wish I was shooting the pic dead on but the stupid water heater behind me is blocking the way. But believe me, the difference is dramatic because you are doubling the wattage.

[attachment deleted by admin larger then 100KB]

texav, spectron, and zimms, you know, you guys, i just left these, as they were, and after a year, with my av, just got around to dialing these in!!

so thanks, jst4,jg and the rest, for , giving me a reason to fine tune my av,

and its better, now because of you guys giving me the ideas to check it out!!got change

Where can I get 50 watt Sylvania 885 fog lamps?
I've checked a couple of local auto parts stores without any luck?

TIA for your help

Thank you for the replies.

I have been guilty of using the fogs on non-foggy nights. I have used them to see better when it has been too busy to use the high beams without constantly turning them on and off. The second use is when I am following someone at night. Few people have fogs on so the leader can easily see where I am behind them. I have also asked others that are following me to use their fogs for the same reason. It works well.

Time to look into Sylvania 885 v. Silverstars and get me some brighter fog lights!

TNAV03 said:
Where can I get 50 watt Sylvania 885 fog lamps?
I've checked a couple of local auto parts stores without any luck?

TIA for your help

You can get them off of Ebay Motors

Do a Search on 885 Fog

jw

Historically, fog lights have been yellow, or amber, for better fog penetration. Is there an amber version of the 885?

kingbee said:
Historically, fog lights have been yellow, or amber, for better fog penetration. Is there an amber version of the 885?
Amber light may penetrate fog better, basically because it cuts down the glare reflecting off the fog. Unfortunately, the real reason this happens is because the amber cuts down on the light intensity. However, there are plenty of people who swear by amber, and I do have to admit that they look good, and would be perfect next to the amber DRLs.

Here is a topic that discusses amber fogs at length: Amber Fog Lights??

It appears that the consensus is that amber bulbs are not available, and in all amber fog light cases we could identify, the bulb has been clear and it was the lens that was colored amber. It is generally believed that halogen lamps get too hot, and would burn off any colored coating in short time.

Some members have identified Dichroic ION-GOLD bulbs. While these do give a yellowish tint to the light, they are not the amber colored beams that most people think of when they think amber fogs.

If you, or anyone else, come up with a source for true amber bulbs, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be interested, and that information should be posted on the above referenced thread. Let's continue any amber discussion there, and keep this thread focused on adjusting the lights.

-- SS

Okay, I adjusted the fog lights. Can somebody tell me how to adjust the low beams. I have one slightly higher than the other and it is annoying the crap out of me. Thanks.

I just adjusted my fogs and replaced the bulbs with 855's.
Vast improvement!
Thanks, guys.

I'm assuming that turing the adjustment screw counter clockwise will raise them and clockwise will lower them? or is it vice versa?

Back