• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Steering wheel controls - How do you change a dead bulb for one of the buttons?

GMAN62465

SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2003
Steering wheel controls - How do you change the bulb for one of the buttons?

One of my buttons (Source) has become dark when the lights are on. All of the others are working properly.

How do I get into the steering wheel to replace this??

Has anyone done this yet?

Thanks,

GMAN

You should be able to "pop" the whole switch out and see what is behind there. I know that they sell replacement switches, so you don't have to buy a whole new steering wheel. I will research (R&D) on my AV this weekend if nobody else comes up with an answer for you.

It's a button kit if I remember correctly. Not the light itself >:D.. Somewhere here I posted the how to, but that was a while back.

Apparently you remove the back side to release the switch. The instructions state to remove the steering wheel first!!! :E:

Just to do this?

Attachments

• 652807.gif
    652807.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,440
After doing a search on replacing the steering wheel switches...I've read numerous methods. Here's a new one and one that worked for me.  I used a small pick with a 90 degree head (The type of pick you'd find in a wiring set of picks) and slid it in between the switch and the rubber on the steering wheel.  When it bottomed out, I rotated the pick, so that, the 90 degree portion would slide under the switch.  I then use a little pressure and popped the switch right out.  Here's the problem...the wiring is relatively short and wouldn't allow to just hand the entire switch out and easily disconnect and reconnect the new one.  I used the pick again to depress the tab on the electrical connector and disconnect the switch.  I then had to use the pick on the back side of the connector to hold pressure against it as I plugged in the new switch.  It worked fine and I then popped the new switch in.  Took 5 minutes.

Disclaimer:  I was replacing the Seek, Phone, Program...switch.  Maybe this is the easiest one to do this way...haven't replaced any others.

Much easier to remove the airbag and give yourself some more room with the cable.

Just remove the SIR fuse in the under hood fuse box wait 15 minutes for the system to drop backup power, put a small nail into both side of the steering wheel and release the airbag then you can move the wiring harness and give yourself enough cable to do it easily.

PS replace all of them all at one time if one is going bad the other will soon follow. You can get a set from AutoWood I think I paid 35.00 for all 4

Attachments

• pic55.JPG
    pic55.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,304
Thanks for the input...I didn't realize you could remove the steering wheel and replace a switch in less than 5 minutes.  If removing the steering wheel is easier than the way I did it...I'll have to try it next time.

As for the switches...none of mine were going bad...just the black coating on the switch was coming off.

Airbag not steering wheel

MichiganSilver03 said:
Airbag not steering wheel
Ok, I'm having the same problem... the Black coating is coming off - so I'm very interested in this.

MS3, what do you mean just the airbag?  I mean looking at your photo it looks like the wheel has to come off also...?...?...?  Are you saying that it slides over the steering column? 

Also on this topic.  Can you actually get inside the switch to change the bulbs?  Like from the white to maybe a blue?

All you have to do is remove the airbag(not steering wheel) and that will expose the wiring harness so you can easily give yourself enough room it remove the buttons and get to the wiring behind the buttons

Attachments

• pic65.JPG
    pic65.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,431
Ah Ok, that pic turned the lightbulb on in my head.  (y)

Thanks

Now, anyone know about replacing the bulbs?

mhough said:
Ah Ok, that pic turned the lightbulb on in my head.  (y)

Thanks

Now, anyone know about replacing the bulbs?

They are not really serviceable I bought a set from AutoWood.com they are a site partner for 35.00

Attachments

• P1010073.JPG
    P1010073.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,318
  looks like i just became a candidate for this repair today.  the bottom button on the roght with the "enter" symbol went dead on me.  if i wait long enough maybe it will come back on like my a/c control light did. :rolleyes:

i might as well do the wifes' Trailblazer too.  her paint is coming off 'cause she use's her fre@kin' nails to press the buttons. :E: :E: :E:

MichiganSilver03 said:
Much easier to remove the airbag and give yourself some more room with the cable.

Just remove the SIR fuse in the under hood fuse box wait 15 minutes for the system to drop backup power, put a small nail into both side of the steering wheel and release the airbag then you can move the wiring harness and give yourself enough cable to do it easily.

PS replace all of them all at one time if one is going bad the other will soon follow. You can get a set from AutoWood I think I paid 35.00 for all 4
I went to the Autowoods site, but no mention was made about these switches, only steering wheels?  Where can I buy some new switches then, I have two that the bulbs are burned out?  :rolleyes:

If they're not listed on Autowood's website, send Victor an email, he'll lead you in the right direction.

Shayne

I found them on Ebay at autowoods store, but as shane said just email Victor

Hey Stan here's the link

http://stores.ebay.com/AUTOWOODS-Steering-Wheel-Store

I feel like Stan (the Stan from South Park).

"I learned something today."

Didn't know Victor sold the steering wheel controls on Ebay.

Shayne

Stick around Shane if it's sold on the internet I can find it :laugh:

MichiganSilver03 said:
I found them on Ebay at autowoods store, but as shane said just email Victor
  I found them on Ebay at the autowoods web site, a new set of lit switches, all of them went for $32.25 plus shipping.  Unless I missed it, I didn't see these switches at Autowoods on this site.  Thanks to all who helped me find and order them.  Thanks also to MichiganSilver03 for his excellent descriptions and diagrams on how to easily replace the switches!  (y)

Back