• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

corvette fuel rail covers

moosc

PM 2013
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
Has any body replaced there engine cover with the ones from a corvette can it be done i would like to do it ive got a 05 av ls2 engine  :E:

moosc said:
Has any body replaced there engine cover with the ones from a corvette can it be done i would like to do it ive got a 05 av ls2 engine :E:

You don't have an LS2 engine.  I'm guessing you have a 1500 Avalanche, so you have an LM7 engine.  5.3 liter (Vortec 5300)

LS2 is an entirely different animal, that RPO is specific to the 6.0L aluminum motor found in the SSR, Corvette and GTO.

Darned laptop mouse, quick-clicked me.

To continue....

The covers could be done, I believe.  You'd need to replace the Vortec cover entirely and get all of the appropriate mounting hardware to match the C5 LS1 covers.

One more addition ;)

You WISH you had an LS2 in yours.  I know I'd like one in mine!

your right its the 5.3 but its still based on the new LS2 block :6:

moosc said:
your right its the 5.3 but its still based on the new LS2 block :6:

It's based on the OLD LS1 block, with changes.  The LS2 block is based on the LS1 block.

in all reality it is a new block its a new casting theyve moved the knock sensors out on the side block and getting ready for the DOD stuff............

moosc said:
in all reality it is a new block its a new casting theyve moved the knock sensors out on the side block and getting ready for the DOD stuff............

Why do you insist on arguing this point while changing your point of view on it in the process?

"based on" - not "is the LS1 block"

You have an LS1-design block in your Avalanche, not an LS2 motor, not an LS2-designed block, etc.

The LS2 block is an outgrowth of the LS1 block - as the design is highly similar.  Displacement alone is notably different from LS1 to LS2.  The 400 small block is simply an outgrowth of the early small blocks as well, but it isn't the same thing.  It's a new casting, etc. - following? ;)

???
the difference between a LM7 and an LS1 are slight but enough to mess you up. I do believe that if you can get an LS1 or LS2 you should beable to drop it in your Av with very little issues.

I am actually working on dropping an LS1 into my 78 Datsun 280Z. It is a sweet fit. I only need to modify the sway bar. The frame is strong enough to handle it.

I found 1 LS1 about 1 month ago in a warehouse.It had about 20k on it. They wanted a lot for it, 7k is what they said. I am still in the process of removing my old drivetrain. When I get the Motor I am thinking of putting it in the Av. I am just worried about the loss of Torque. but I am sure the computer can be modified.

I agree on all points that Doug has made except that the brackets are the only thing needed to use LS1/LS6 fuel rail covers.  I hope that is right, as I would love to do this as a mod. 

I've done a small amount of work on a friends LS6/Z06 Vette.  We installed a set of long tube headers, which required removing the covers and coil packs.  The fuel rail covers on the Vette just snap on to the the fuel rails and from what I could tell the rails are larger on the 5.3 than the 5.7.  I know this doesn't make since but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this.  Also the top of the intake was shaped differently and the wiring is routed different.  I am sure that the LS1 and LS6 use the same covers. 

It may be that everything is close enough to the same that some minor relocating of the wiring would allow the use of the Vette covers.  Even if it is the LS1/6 intakes do not have the mounting bolt hole in the center of the intake that our trucks do and that would show in between the covers if they would fit.

I say someone needs to try it, make pics, and let me know what's involved, as I want to do it myself.  Of course I would rather have a true LS1, 2, or 6 ;D

This is what I am using on mine.

I haven't installed it yet as I still need a threaded brass fitting to go into the plenum to attach the black mounting bracket.

I have laid it all out on top of the engine and it will work perfectly.

Attachments

• SSR_1.JPG
    SSR_1.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 360
  • SSR_2.JPG
    SSR_2.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 355
Another way to go is the 3 piece Vortec engine cover from JP Customs. I think it ran $117 and fits perfect.

Attachments

• EngCvr4.JPG
    EngCvr4.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 285
Snoball said:
Another way to go is the 3 piece Vortec engine cover from JP Customs. I think it ran $117 and fits perfect.
same thing but with a splash of color >:D

Attachments

• hood5.JPG
    hood5.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 219
  • hood2.JPG
    hood2.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 219
WVBubba said:
same thing but with a splash of color >:D

I ended up using the same one as you did. (6.0L from JP Customs) and I was thinking of painting it arrival blue.

My concern was will the paint hold up to the heat ?

Did you use the factory paint, or did you use a High Heat Engine paint ?

Any tips on procedure (prepping, sanding, clear coat, no clear coat, painting of silver trim lines & logo, etc, etc)

Thanks in advance.

JSal69, my neighbor owns a body shop and he painted the engine covers, support brackets, radiator cowling, and my ventshades and headlight covers with factory paint even matched the headlight covers to fade with the original paint..Charged me $38.00 (y) as for the silver stripes and vortec logo, he hand painted this with pinstripping paint and an artists brush (he very good, does a lot of custom work and a lot of area vette's) he is taking one of his rebuilt vettes to a super chevy show in Bristol, TN this weekend, last year he won with his 72 Stingray, this year he's taking the wifes 85 convertible that he just finished repainting a couple weeks ago. but it's factory paint not high heat, there are heat shields under the cover to deflect a lot of the heat so I think it will be just fine-Bubba

My stock cover has been painted for a while now and it's holding up well. I plan on adding some purple vinyl stripping tape to the ridges but have not done it yet so here is an "unfinished" picture:

Butch

Attachments

• Engine Cover.jpg
    Engine Cover.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 208
WVBubba said:
JSal69, my neighbor owns a body shop and he painted the engine covers, support brackets, radiator cowling, and my ventshades and headlight covers with factory paint even matched the headlight covers to fade with the original paint..Charged me $38.00 (y) as for the silver stripes and vortec logo, he hand painted this with pinstripping paint and an artists brush (he very good, does a lot of custom work and a lot of area vette's) he is taking one of his rebuilt vettes to a super chevy show in Bristol, TN this weekend, last year he won with his 72 Stingray, this year he's taking the wifes 85 convertible that he just finished repainting a couple weeks ago. but it's factory paint not high heat, there are heat shields under the cover to deflect a lot of the heat so I think it will be just fine-Bubba

Thanks for the info.

$38.00 ? ?WoW ?:eek: ? That doesn't even cover the cost of the paint !!!

My paint (Arrival Blue) is about $130.00 a Quart

Your neighbor is good to you.

At $38.00 it really doesn't matter if it holds up or not. ?

I would love to have it match the exterior paint so I will look into the durability under heat a little further since my cost would be significantly more.
Maybe there is an additive that will extend high heat properties to the paint.

Z66 BUTCH said:
My stock cover has been painted for a while now and it's holding up well. I plan on adding some purple vinyl stripping tape to the ridges but have not done it yet so here is an "unfinished" picture:

Butch

Thanks for the info Butch.    (y)

JSal69 said:
I ended up using the same one as you did. (6.0L from JP Customs) and I was thinking of painting it arrival blue.

My concern was will the paint hold up to the heat ?

Did you use the factory paint, or did you use a High Heat Engine paint ?

Any tips on procedure (prepping, sanding, clear coat, no clear coat, painting of silver trim lines & logo, etc, etc)

Thanks in advance.
I have used regular Krylon, Krylon Fusions, and Rustoleum and never had any problems. Other than my my own lack of patience with the painting. :-[

I painted mine with a can of $.99 autozone paint, $5 chrome pinstripes, and 5 coats of clear. It's held up for 3 months now, no problems.
3cf83f9b.jpg

Shanes 02 Avalanche said:
???
the difference between a LM7 and an LS1 are slight but enough to mess you up. I do believe that if you can get an LS1 or LS2 you should beable to drop it in your Av with very little issues.

I did have the SLP ZL402 in mine.. heads, intake, cam, fuel rails everything from the stock 5.3 went right on. ?And just dropped right in even the PCM ran it (not well but ran it) until I got it tuned.

And Doug yes our motors are RPO code LM7 but they are LS1 motors not derivitives of LS1 motors. ?LS1 is the engine family. ?

just wanted to clarify thats all

Back