• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Inconsistent/Inaccurate Fuel Gauge

cfields13

Has anyone else experienced what appears to be odd fluctuations in gau gauge readings. Mine went from just a smidge under 3/4 to 1/2 a tank seemingly overnight, and then later in the day it was back up near 3/4. Any ideas, similar issues etc.

I have noticed a problem if I am parked on a hill (front end down)

I had a 1/4 tank and all of the sudden my low fuel light was on. After driving for 10 miles down a mtn road, it came back to normal levels.

Blueruck said:
I have noticed a problem if I am parked on a hill (front end down)

I had a 1/4 tank and all of the sudden my low fuel light was on. ?After driving for 10 miles down a mtn road, it came back to normal levels.

My driveway is on a steep incline. Every time I park nose down in the evening with 1/4 tank, I see an empty fuel gage and low fuel light when I go to leave in the morning. It recovers within a few minutes(hopefully!)

One thing I have noticed is that when the needle says empty you really still have a way to go. In some Avalanches it could be as much as 6 gallons. When the Needle says full, you are not completely full. Also in some Avalanches this could be off by a few gallons. This is how mine works. On empty I have 6 gallons left. When I fill up I actually bury the needle till it can't move anymore to the right. WHen this happens I still have about 1.5 gallons to put in the tank. Weird Gas Gauges!!!

I had a similar issue on my GMC Sierra. It started with a buzzing sound and then the guage started to fluctuate any where from 3/4 to a 1/2 a tank. Took it in to the dealership and they had to replace the fuel sending unit which was in the gas tank.

Thanks everybody for all the insights, perhaps I will try parking it on a flat spot for a couple of nights and see what happens.

Oh no.. I hope the av's don't run the same sender my Blazer has.

My gas gauge hasn't worked accurately since last fall. I reset my trip meter and gas up every 200 miles. :rolleyes: Gotta get it fixed when I get it in the shop for a multifunction switch recall - so I'll get it fixed then.... (if I don't up and trade it beforehand)

I haven't heard of too many problems with the fuel guage reading incorrectly. This definitely isn't the norm.

I'm sure once you get it fixed, you won't have any more problems with it. It's most likely a bad sending unit although the guage could be bad, but it's unlikely. I hope you get it fixed soon. You sure don't want to push a 3 ton vehicle. :C: :D ???

Generally when I park on a hill it does that. Then once I drive a few miles down the road it goes back.

:) Okay just thought I would let everybody know that the problem is solved. Turns out it was a combination of parking on a hill at night, which in my case makes the gauge read higher than it is, and a gas tank that did not get filled all the way when I bought my first tank of gas for my new Av. Now have filled up a second time, got a full tank and all gauge readings are matching up to miles traveled etc. Thanks for all the feedback!

More Strange Fuel Gauge behavior:

Two weeks ago, my needle stayed above 3/4 when the mileage had reached 350 miles. Then all of a sudden the next day, it dropped back down to normal levels.

Then this past weekend, I had filled up the night before, and then the first time I drove it after the fillup, about five minutes into the drive, while we were idling at a red light, the needle JUMPED (I heard it) all the way from full down to empty, and the "Low Fuel" warning light came on.

Then about three seconds later, while still sitting at the light, the needle jumped back up to full and the low fuel light went out.

Does this sound like NORMAL behavior? ;) I hate to go to the bother of taking the truck into the dealer for this, but I fear that I will be forced to do so. :8:

Anyone seen anything REMOTELY like this?

Other info: I am in Phoenix, so it has been hot. I use 87 octane gas.

Laterz........

I had the same problem with a my previous 1500 Lemon Avalanche. I could drive it and it say 5/8 tank. A little bit later still driving it would say 1/2 tank. Maybe 10 minutes later it said 3/4 tank. All while driving down a flat interstate. After 2 attempts to find the problem at the service dept, they could not find a problem. Well one day later I filled up from a 1/4 to full. As driving out the filling station the gas gauge still said 1/4 tank. It never moved for 20 minutes. I had gotten to the service dept in 5 minutes. They thought I was lying about the quanity in the tank. Showed them the gas reciept and while talking it out, it starting moving up. Well they ordered a new fuel pump/sending unit. They recieved a new gas tank and all contents. Well that seemed to take care of the problem for a bout 3 weeks. I filled it up from then on and it never ever went past 7/8 tank mark the rest of the time I had it. A week later the transmission went out and 3 weeks later it was gone and bought a 2500 Avalanche. Lost over $4500 over that :D:LEMON!!!!!!

:8: Never recieved an apology from Chevrolet :8:

I have the same problem with my 1500. The very first time I filled it up after purchase the gauge took about 20 miles to register full. Then it was fine for about 8-9 months. It then proceeded to move up or down while driving, usually going low enough to turn on the low fuel light. It has been fine for almost two months now. I didn't want to take it to a dealer either because I figured they wouldn't believe me. Has Chevrolet acknowledged any kind of problem?

Lar-ss

My 2500 has done the exact same thing a few times. Maybe a total of 3-4 times since I have had the Av. I have not taken it in for this and unless it goes out completely I won't. They probably won't be able to figure out what is wrong anyway until it breaks.

Gary

My problem has been that I'll fill up and drive about 200 miles before the needle reaches 3/4 full. Then over the next 50-75 miles it will drop to 1/4. :cautious: End up getting about 300 miles on 3/4 tank ( 14 mpg).

AUAV,

Typical Chevy, methinks. ?I do believe there have been articles written about this phenomenon...something about it being that way because the average customer, whether they know it or not, wants it that way. ?Can't remember where I saw this, but I didn't buy it...I'd prefer accuracy.

got this from http://autos.excite.com/select/view/id/116.html

"Fuel Gauge
Deliberately designed to be inaccurate! After you fill up the tank the gauge will stay on full for a long time, then slowly drop until it reads 3/4 full. After that, it moves progressively faster until the last quarter of a tank seems to go very quickly. This is a bit of psychological slight-of-hand to give the impression that the car gets better gas mileage then it does, it seems to reduce the number of complaints from new car buyers during the first few weeks after they bought the car.

When the needle drops below E, there is usually 1 or 2 gallons left in reserve. To find out for sure, pull out your owners manual and find out how many gallons of gas your tank holds, then the next time you fill up an empty tank, check how many gallons it took to fill it. The difference is your reserve."

This guys opinion is not specific to Chevy, but it states what I said in my previous post. Guess there is psychology involved if you buy this theory.

AUAV, this has definitely been my experience with GM vehicles. Extremely non-linear on the fuel guage. While I would prefer it to be more accurate, I consider it a small price to pay on the AV.

I hope this is the right area to put this. I have a 2003 1500 AV I picked up on December 31, 2002. Great truck so far but I have noticed that when I get the "LOW FUEL WARNING" and the guage is actually registering Empty, I can only put 26 gallons of gas in maximum. I thought it had a 31 gallon tank, where is the other 5 gallons?

Wow this is like one of my first topics I ever posted in. THe gas gauge is a little off. You will register empty and still have about 5 gallons left. I have a 2002 with 23,000 miles on it. I have never been able to put more than 26 gallons in it. Don't abuse it. Fill up when you're registering empty. Its a nice buffer to have. (y)

Welcome Fozzybear!

I recall reading another thread that talked about the need to keep the fuel pump (located in the tank) cooled by the fuel. If it runs too low, the pump will overheat and wear prematurely. The thread also talked about how far you could go once the low fuel light came on (about 50 miles or so, I think). I think the 5 gallon comfort zone is great. Hope this addresses your concerns.

The gauge seems normal on ours.

Try parking facing downhill overnight and see what the needle points to in the morning.

The guage in my AV seems to be as inconsistant as every other vehicle I've owned.

For example....it's suppose to have a 31 gallon tank, right? I filled up yesterday at 1/8 of a tank...it only held 22 gallons. At that point the gauge was reading 1/8 but I had approx 9 gallons of gas.

A couple of weeks ago I filled up when the low fuel light came on and only put 25.5 gallons in.

:B: :B: :B:
AUAV,

I can back up your findings. I always fill up and I travel roughly 100-130 miles before the needle moves off the full deflection mark........it hovers above 3/4 for the next 100-150mi then plunges over the next 50. Dumber than a carp, but at least I haven't been stranded..........yet :7:

Jake

Back