• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear axle or brake problem?

atikovi

I recently got this ?02 with 85K and I didn?t notice any noises until after I did a rear brake job with new pads and rotors.? There is a clunk-clunk noise in the back when applying the brakes that varies with road speed but most noticeable at low speeds. I put the rear up on jack stands, pulled the wheels and reattached the lug nuts to try and isolate the noise. With the engine cold so it would have a high idle I put it in drive and wedged a stick between the brake pedal and the seat to lightly apply the brakes at around 10 mph. I then went back to the brakes and noticed that the right one was making the clunk noise twice every revolution, plus, with a hand on the caliper I could also feel it as well. The left one had none of this. Then with the engine off I checked for any looseness. The main thing I found was that the right axle shaft had about .018 inches in and out free play while the left one had none. Also, when pulling the axle in and out, it makes a similar clunk as when braking. Is this rear axle free play normal? I would think not if the other side doesn?t have any and makes no noise. What should I check next? Since the brakes are new I think I can rule that out. I don?t have experience with axle repairs but? would get the service manual and fix it myself if I have to.? I do have a factory manual for ?94 Chevy full size trucks. Are the basic principles involved much different so I can get an idea of what I?m in for?

When you did the brakes..did you lube the caliper slide pins?

Someone on here...noted that some 2002 avys may have left with bad slide pins or lacked proper grease....

Maybe this kinda caused the axle to be forced out...and then kinda messed with end play.....

or maybe I need a drink..hehehe

PS WELCOME to the CLUB!!!

atikovi said:
I'll lube them tomorrow and see what happens. What type is used?

Hi-temp Never sieze works....usually has copper mixed in it

Or look near never seize in auto parts store and you might also find brake part lubricant...It is used for this purpose...but costs a whole bunch more...

I hope this is it...but might not be but it is good brake service practice to check these pins....

Checked the caliper slide pins and they are well lubed but they seem to be a bit on the loose side in their bores. I installed the bolts into the pins and even with the pins most of the way in I could feel a side to side movement when rocking the bolt right and left. I can't tell if this amount of movement is normal but I can imagine how much more it's magnified with the caliper attached. I'll take the caliper bracket off and show it to a mechanic neighbor, but I think I'll get a new bracket and pins. With over 85K miles, this looks like the most likely problem.

Take some pics...hehehehe.....

Not many pics on here of rear brakes apart.....

I got a new caliper bracket and caliper slide pins and the noise went away.  I can?t really be sure if this did the trick though. I couldn?t feel any difference in the amount of looseness of the pins between the new and the old parts. It could be the noise went away just by repositioning some of the parts like the rotor on the axle or the pads in the carrier. I?ve removed and re-installed the caliper and rotor so many times in the last few days I could do it blindfolded!

Oh, and here are some pics:

Parking brake shoes. Not much lining even when new.
standard.jpg

Rotors. Sooo shiny! And only $47 a pair including shipping!!!
standard.jpg

Thanks for pics...and glad noises went away with the new pins and caliper bracket....

Back