• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

free mods????

Z28Vanche said:
are there any free mods for the vanche? on my 2000 z28 i had done a few free mods. just wondering if there were any for the vanche. thanks in advance.
jay

There is a 0-60 mod that is free!! I will try to find it for you!!

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,20281.0.html  There ya go!

make your daytime running light full time, not free but less then $10.00 and very cool imo

There's the rear headrest mod. This one helps when lowering the midgate. Here's the basic mod courtesy of XRover
I have performed an easy mod which will still allow all of the various click stop height adjustments but when you fully lift up the head Rest, it will slide out after the last position.

Step 1) insert a pin or small tool into holes at base of Head rest mounts. Push in pin and lift up Head Rest on that side. Repeat for other mount base and lift Head Rest all the way out.

step 2) Notice that the last cut out on the posts have a 90 degree ledge. All the other cut outs above these are at a 45 degree cut. The 45 degree cut allows the locking mechanism to slightly hold the Head Rest in that position until a little upward force is applied and the locking tab will just slide back. Obviously when the last cut out is reached, the lock slides in and get's hung up on the 90 degree ledge preventing it from going any further up.

Step 3 ) Place Head Rest posts in a secure vice and file down at an angle the two 90 degree ledges so that they look just like the others. (45 degrees). The key is to make sure that there is no more 90 degree ledge left to hang up the lock. When you have completed and tested one Head Rest, do the other.

Putting a toggle switch in the back for the bed lights (or light if '04 or newer ?:rolleyes:), and/or a 12V outlet in the bed are practically free.

Don't forget
You can mod your 5-6 person SUV into a ?full sized pickup w/ an 8'1" bed... and someone might pay you a buck.

But really...totally free. There isn't much that is totally free.
LOL

Z28Vanche said:
wow in yhe time it took me to poop there were 7 replies. not bad. but i was thinking more along the lines of going fast.

Less cheese.  More fiber.  Will poop faster then.

Nice Rich...way to stay on topic!
That was funny as hell.

RichUF said:
Z28Vanche said:
wow in yhe time it took me to poop there were 7 replies. not bad. but i was thinking more along the lines of going fast.

Less cheese.? More fiber.? Will poop faster then.

LMAO!!!!

I did the throtle body coolant bypass mod for about a buck. ?Did it help?

??? beats me ???

4MRanch said:
Don't forget the Big Silly Grin On Your Face Mod you get while driving the AV! ;D
That still costs 1.80 / gallon.

Fitzie Sensei (formerly said:
Z28Vanche said:
are there any free mods for the vanche? on my 2000 z28 i had done a few free mods. just wondering if there were any for the vanche. thanks in advance.
jay

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,20281.0.html? There ya go!

im going to try that for sure. but one question about it. will it work on my brothers 97 trans am? it has the 4l60e. isnt that the same trans that is hooked up with a 5.3?

Actually the full time DRL mod is free....Just have to move one wire on the back of the fuse box. Do a search for full time DRL.

The easiest go fast free mod is to put some air in the tires. If you don't mind the harsher ride, higher air pressure helps both performance, gas milage and tire life. I run 50 psi front and 45 psi rear.

Here's an excellent post on full time DRL's... Step by step instructions complete with pictures.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,14932.msg240752.html#msg240752

Z28Vanche said:
Fitzie Sensei (formerly said:
Z28Vanche said:
jay

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,20281.0.html  There ya go!

im going to try that for sure. but one question about it. will it work on my brothers 97 trans am? it has the 4l60e. isnt that the same trans that is hooked up with a 5.3?
yes...2002 IS the first year.
No... I don't think it will work on the '97, I think it is a computer thing, and I bet the '02 "learning" type computer is what is needed.
Good luck,
Damon

A cheap performance mod is to fool the computer re: engine temperature. Get a volume control from Radio Shack. Run the wires up to the engine coolant temperature sensor. Be careful as there are two sensors, one runs the temp guage, the other goes to the computer. You want to cut the one that goes to the computer and splice in the wires from the volume control. When you want more power, turn the control to the left. That dials in about 100 ohms of resistance and makes the computer think the engine is cold. That gives you a richer mixture. For normal driving keep it all the way to the right. You can tell if you have the wrong wire if, when the engine is hot, you turn it to the left and the temp guage goes down. Correctly connected, the temp guage will not be affected. Total cost: about $5. Install time about a half hour.

Back