• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

5.3l-How Much Oil?

frule

Charter Member
SM 2003
I changed the oil/fiter for the first time on my 5.3l Avy to Mobil-1.It took almost 7 qts.to get near the full marker on the dipstick.Anyone else use this much?
Should one go by the dipstick marks or factory specs?I ask this because I know that an overfill can be harmful.Also,my oil pressure runs fairly high(60 psi underway);is pressure affected at all by the amount of oil as long as it's not way too low?Thanks for any help.
PS-my gas mileage was up by .8 mpg after the change to synthetic.It had consistently been at 15.8 for 5-6 tanks,but was 16.6 on the 1st tank with Mobil 1.I sure hope this continues!

I also found that it takes just shy of 7 quarts to fill the Avalanche, and the dealer service department confirms that this is the case of all 5.3. The explanation that has been given to me (and that makes some sense) is that GM sizes their oil capacity based on litres and we still buy oil in quarts. A 6-litre capacity would take almost 6.5 quarts to fill (according to my handy dandy conversion table). I believe that if we could buy oil in litres, 6 litres would be right on the full mark.

Big Don - 6 quarts takes mine up 3/4 of the way on the add. I've stuck with the 6 qt. fill. Why would the manuals state quarts and not liters if it is based on liters?

frule - Gas mileage varies greatly on the Av. Speeds, wind, load, outside temp, etc. This is a heavy vehicle and I think little things make a sizeable difference. Let us know if the increase with synthetic holds - that would be a 5% change.

Just because you can't buy oil in litres, and as you have found, 6 quarts is "close enough". As long as you keep the oil level above the "add" mark it should be OK.

good post Timfarn I agree I cannot see how an oil can improve gas mileage. Friction in the engine probably accounts for very little horsepower draw and therefore very little effect on fuel economy.

Wind, weight and driving habits more dictate fuel economy. Also the engine is getting broken in so it tends to get higher mileage after the first dozen or so tanks.

The "don't overfill" caution should be practiced. The problem with too much oil is that it can bathe the crankshaft, causing it to foam and also causing drag - with an effect on fuel economy. I would not refill with 7 quarts - stick to the 6 quart mfr. recommendation and note where it rises to on the dipstick.

timfarn,When I put 6 qts.in the crankcase,it didn't even reach the tip of the dipstick!Another 1/2 qt. took it just below halfway up the "hatched" area.A little more(to a total of almost 7 qt.) got me close to full.<p>I noticed the dipstick is "assembled" from 2 pieces with small rivets.I doubt it,but I wonder if they actually calibrate the dipsticks to the proper oil amount?

I just changed the oil the other day and 6 quarts took it to the full mark. See if you can compare your dipstick to one on the dealers lot.

Well,I called 3 local dealers today.Told them about needing more than the book recommended 6 qts.All 3 said it takes MORE than 6 qts(there was no hesitation in their replies).So,does anyone know the best way to get an answer directly from the GM factory,or is that a waste of time?

I would just fill it up. Don't run it low. I know this is a dumb question, but I hope everyone knows to start the engine up to allow the oil filter to fill with oil. I always have an extremely hard time reading the dipstick after I change the oil due to how clean it is. It may be easier to see with this dip stick being it has holes in it.

Also make sure you are parked on level ground when you check it. Common sense stuff, but just incase. I sure don't want to insult anyone. :)

I just changed the oil in my Av for the first time and after adding the required 6 quarts of oil and running the engine for a few minutes I rechecked the oil level. According to the piece of crap riveted GM dipstick I'm almost 3/4 of a quart low. ??? I know 6 quarts went in and I left the vehicle sit for 10 minutes before rechecking the oil level, anyone else have this happen?
Thanks, Matt

I just bought a 2002 white Z71....Can you point me to where this issue is explained more ??

Thanks
George

Ok...Just did complete oil and filter @ 1622 (did oil only at 1266-see posting in 1st oil change --disaster). No problems today-had the correct filter wrench. Pulled filter and drained oil. Put 6 qts, 4 oz of Mobile 1 in. This brought the oil up to the full mark after a drive around the block and letting it sit for a minute. I decided to measure the dip stick-31 inches from tip to the base (botton of the yellow puller)....31 inches of metal. How long is yours and can this explain the capacity issue? I measure my waste oil (old habbit to see if all oil drained)...just over 6 qts including drained oil filter.

Good luck all-

?31"!!!That's quite a dipstick! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

? Mine is the same length measured from the tip to just where the yellow plastic begins.I checked the oil bottles again.I have 10 oz. left in the 7th quart.So I used 6 qts,22 oz to fill to the 3/4 mark(one hole from totally full).

? So it doesn't seem to be the dipstick(I also compared mine to wfbarto's,too-they are the same). Thank's for checking!?

It's not the size of the dipstick, it's how you use it... ;D

(sorry, that was too easy...)

helmet

:cautious: I checked the oil level in my AV when I got it back from engine work by the dealer, fixing the smoke on startup problem. The oil level was at the top of the "x" in "Level Max"; way over the normal level. Having read this thread I thought maybe that two piece dip stick could be off. Alas, it is also 31 inches long (actually is was 30" 15/16") like everyone elses. So far I have not seen any problems from the apparent over fill. Any thoughts on why mine is so high, other than dealer error?

I just changed my oil this weekend, and I did in fact use over 6 quarts of oil.....I always fill the oil filter before putting it back on the truck so I'm not sure this would affect the overall usage....

Seems completely normal, after checking the dipstick when done...

Back