• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Fuel Economy and How to Get it!

Santa Fe Dreaming

There are lots of specifically oriented threads and Board Names for most Mods we can imagine but I haven?t found one specifically devoted to AV fuel economy and how to get it.

My thought is that this would be the place for venders to post as well as ask for volunteers for their new products and ?Alpha Test? product. Those using them as well as members who have found other ways to increase mileage could post their findings.

What?ca think?

I think that the best milage getter is to leave your Av stock...no kidding.

After that...parking it will increase your milage... >:D

Most seem to get better milage figures at 65mph...

But seriously...after that...it's all snakeoil... :mad:

I CHNGE said:

Maybe a custom tune. One specificly meant for mileage should, could help.

I got over 20.5 MPG ONE TIME! I know I don't get that regulary but it would if I would drive for mileage. Driving the interstate at 65 mph will get you close to that but driving the interstate at 90mph is more fun!

Butch

Disclaimer: I do not recommend driving anywhere at 90 mph!

Z66 BUTCH said:
I got over 20.5 MPG ONE TIME!

Butch

Disclaimer: I do not recommend driving anywhere at 90 mph!

umm, let me guess, coming out of the rockie mountains? ;)

i am interested in these to santa...

Rxzruby
:B:

santa fe...

For better fuel economy...

swap out your gears to 2.95's.... and install tires with an overall diameter of 24"? >:D

Congrats on your new AV, looking forward to seeing it at the end of the month? ?(y)

Grey
(oh... you gonna let me rip into your fuse box at the gtg?? :cool: )

I have dibs on pulling his cluster!! :rolleyes: Unless the Java dude is willing! >:D

..Gotta see about that 05 DIC and if the 03~04 cluster restores it to "complete"!

Curiousity is killing me.. :cautious:

-------------------------

Just drive @ 55 to 60-ish.

Don't drive uphill, only downhill; coast only.

If there's a headwind, turn-around so you'll have the tailwind!

Put on skinny wheels - maybe from a covered wagon.. You know, the wooden bling look...

Lower the Av after you cut the fender wells for those wheels. Slam it to 1" above the road.

Drive 5 to 10 feet behind an 18-wheeler - If you can find one that'll stay under 60-ish.

Now, that's if you didn't change out the drivetrain with one from an EV.
Then, you can cheat.

GREY_BULLDOG_AV
index.php

ARGH!!

I should of used a Dumb Male Sheep instead of a blue oval!

Anything that frees up your intake or exhaust will improve your gas mileage, as long as you drive as you normally would, instead of flooring it just to hear the intake suck or the exhaust trumpet.  I travelled about 10 miles further on a tank of gas after i put on my k & n intake. 

I guess now isn't the time to point out the fact that I didn't buy an Avalanche for its fuel economy... it pretty much sucks, no matter what you do.  Maybe you can hire a fleet of Insights to tow it!  :)

Maybe it's the lead foot that alter's the impression, however the free-flow advantage of an air filter would be at open throttle! The MAF corrects a lot too.

Unless I bought a 3-ton truck for racing, I'll stick with the finer micron filters myself. Allmost made it to a 22MPG average on a long trip. If it was an 05, I would have done even better. And I have a Z71!

1) Drop-in K&N filter
2) Magnaflow Exhaust
3) 3.73 gears if you drive at 65-70 mph, 3.42 if you drive 75-80
4) Vacuum/Boost gauge in the cabin; learn to drive in vacuum
5) Custom tune for mileage

MR.SMITH said:
If you want gas mileage, Trade for a Honda. ;D

Wrong - the Ridgeline is 16/21 compared to a far more desirable Av which is 13/17 or 14/18 depending on the configuration.  2 MPG benefit city sure ain't enough to get me to trade.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The most effective mod for increasing fuel economy is "The Brick Mod*".

*Not responsible for damage to accelerator or lack of fuel economy improvement due to improper installation and/or placement of brick.  Brick must be placed length-wise under accelerator for maximum fuel economy improvement.  This modification should be performed only by a qualified union bricklayer.  To avoid possible damage to vehicle or personnal injury, do not use scabs.  Stackrat takes no responsibility for the content of this message. Performing this modification shall be at the vehicle owner's risk.

Santa Fe Dreaming said:
AV fuel economy

That's pretty much an oxymoron.

The trailer mod will get you maximum fuel economy. Step 1. put the AV on a trailer. Step 2. hook the trailer up to someone else's truck to get where you want to go. Step 3. Back off the trailer and arrive in style.

stackrat said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The most effective mod for increasing fuel economy is "The Brick Mod*".

*Not responsible for damage to accelerator or lack of fuel economy improvement due to improper installation and/or placement of brick.? Brick must be placed length-wise under accelerator for maximum fuel economy improvement.? This modification should be performed only by a qualified union bricklayer.? To avoid possible damage to vehicle or personnal injury, do not use scabs.? Stackrat takes no responsibility for the content of this message. Performing this modification shall be at the vehicle owner's risk.
and again, and again, and again :-*

Naked AV said:
1) Drop-in K&N filter
2) Magnaflow Exhaust
3) 3.73 gears if you drive at 65-70 mph, 3.42 if you drive 75-80
4) Vacuum/Boost gauge in the cabin; learn to drive in vacuum
5) Custom tune for mileage

Do you have a part number for the K&N filter and where to buy.... Thanks

I CHNGE said:

what he said.

Zeng56,

Here's a link to K&N's search on their website.

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/appsearch.aspx

It's a small matter to pick the year, 1500/2500, and size of your engine from there.

I got mine from AutoZone.  I've seen them at Pep boys (cheaper -  :E: ) as well.

MORE AIR FOR BETTER BREATHING!  ;D

Duke

I have a 04 WBH with 5.3, 3.73 Gears. I added FlowMaster exhaust, 20" Rims and Tires, K&N air intake, and HyperTech tuner. I get 18.5 MPG highway and 12 MPG towing my 6000 Lb trailer.

thilla said:
I have a 04 WBH with 5.3, 3.73 Gears. I added FlowMaster exhaust, 20" Rims and Tires, K&N air intake, and HyperTech tuner. I get 18.5 MPG highway and 12 MPG towing my 6000 Lb trailer.

I'd be curious to see what you get with stock tires/wheels

Zeng56 said:
Do you have a part number for the K&N filter and where to buy.... Thanks
$55 at Pep Boys in Augusta GA.  Don't have the part number on hand, but it was in stock when I went to check them out.  Autozone and Advance Auto would have to order it for me here.

Back