• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Miles to Break Even on a Mod

TERMN8R

Could not resist. This will give you the miles to break even on a mod. Yes, I did it in Excel too. Works great. We all know that we do not mod for mileage, we mod to make it "ours."

modeqn.jpg

Excel:
=(B3/B4)*(1/(1/B5-1/B6))

B3 is the cost of the mod (ex. $500)
B4 is the cost of gas (ex. $1.89)
B5 is the old mpg (ex. 15)
B6 is the new mpg (ex. 17)
B7 is the miles to break even
Should be 33,730.16

Here's what I'm up against. Sorry about the spacing.

k&n    45
flowmaster   350
headers    600
gauges & pod   400
whipple    4100
window tint   200

gas   1.89
old mpg   15
new mpg   17
miles   384186.5079 :eek:

Wow! 384,000 miles is a lot!

What abour the romp-on-it factor? When it sounds so good, you'll be tempted, then your mileage gain is null!

Wouldn't the "romp on"  factor change your new milage and there for predicit a new milage to break even at?  I agree with enkeiavalance, the romp on is Priceless.

Don't forget the residual value of the mods when selling them after you sell the truck or include them into the sale of the vehicle.  The residual value of a $225 intake is probably 70% for resale purposes.

Ed

Fast Eddie said:
Don't forget the residual value of the mods when selling them after you sell the truck or include them into the sale of the vehicle.  The residual value of a $225 intake is probably 70% for resale purposes.

Ed

That's hard to put a dollar figure on. Mods are usually a wash as no two people would mod a truck the same way. There are too many personal preferences to take into account. Yeah I like the look of graphics or a custom paint job but I would never pay more for a vehicle with it. It's too hard to repair should any damage occur to it. Then look at all the exhaust, lift kits, intake and performance chip options out on the market. There are so many different combinations that can be done and it's hard to find two people that will agree with 100% of the things that can be done to a vehicle. In the Audi side of vehicles when we go to sell a vehicle we typically part out the mods. You can get more for them in the end that way and by returning a vehicle to the stock configuration the buyer won't assume that the vehicle has been beat on all the time. I mod my vehicles but I also maintain them. Yeah I'm not going to try and say I never get on a vehicle and push it but it's by no means a daily occurrence which is how I can explain getting 23mpg on my AV. The biggest problem I have is when I go from driving my AV and hop in the Audi. I have accidentally hit 110+mph when coming down the entrance ramp to get on our local highway many times. The vehicle is build for speed and you don't notice how fast you are going. I have solved that problem by programming the speed alarm. The car has a speed monitor that can be manually set so if you exceed what ever speed it is set at it will beep twice and display a warning in the instrument cluster.

I was just adding to the jist of the joke, but for all intents and purposes it is better to sell mods off the truck than on.  An average intake will sell in the used market for 60-75% of its new value.  I have never seen a mod catch less than 50% on the resale, as long as it is not installed on a vehicle but instead sold seperately.

Ed

Back