• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Loss of all power on Pass. side door

SamHouseIII

SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
???

Hello all,

Have a 2003 Z-71, bought new and have had no problems with mine until now, I have lost all power to the Pass side door, Window, Mirror, Locks, and Puddle lights. Have checked all fuses, ALL FUSES, and Relays in all three fuse boxes, even have checked wiring harness to the door all checks out, even checked all exterior lights and tested the alarm system. in brief this is what has happened, came out to go to work and depressed FOB and lights did not light up to open doors as normal, thought it was FOB checked with other and did nothing. When I tried rolling opening door with my power lock on driver side all other doors unlocked but the pass side did not. tried window from both sides, drivers side will work all windowes but pass. side switch on drivers door did not work, tried from pass side, nothing, drivers side will work all other windows, tried mirror switch works only for drivers side, will not move mirror when switched to pass side. and puddle light does not work either, tought maybe was a blown fuse or relay or CB not working have checked all and all are good, thought maybe was a harness unplugged, found all to the door to be conected tight and no loose wiring, one Note: speakers work on pass side door. I can not just take this to any dealer over here and I do have a good knowledge of the working of electrics and autos so I am stumped on this one and any help or replys would be helpful.

Thanks SFC House

Thanks for the reply,

I already checked those along with all relays and all fuses in all three fuse blocks, my first thought was that the fuse had blown but I even switched out the ABS 60 AMP fuse with the ones you told me to check, just to see if it was that and did not work, I switched all fuses with the same AMP with each other and checked them both visual and with a meter, also tested all relays and all checked good, I pulled not only the fuses that control that side, I checked all fuses knowing how alot of other things are tied in with another on the Avalanche.

Sounds Like a Wiring Problem To that Door . Make Sure The Rubber Boot Between Door and Body isnt Ripped and Wires aren't Pinched.

Will these help?  03 prints, should be very close to an 04.

(Images expand and clear up)

1 of 2..

872807-03_FPDM-1.gif

Edit: Posted image size adj for new buggy software.

Attachments

• 872807-03_FPDM-1.gif
    872807-03_FPDM-1.gif
    54.6 KB · Views: 120
2 of 2:

872809-03_FPDM-2.gif

Attachments

• 872809-03_FPDM-2.gif
    872809-03_FPDM-2.gif
    57.5 KB · Views: 104
Those prints are just the goin's on. It doesn't determine your power source faults.

Some Power sources & Rt. Power Windows:

856509-03_Rt_Windows-s.gif

Attachments

• 856509-03_Rt_Windows-s.gif
    856509-03_Rt_Windows-s.gif
    94.6 KB · Views: 107
The Rt. FP Power Locks:

855828-03_FPDM-Locks-s.gif

Attachments

• 855828-03_FPDM-Locks-s.gif
    855828-03_FPDM-Locks-s.gif
    94.7 KB · Views: 101
Well, if it isn't the easy fixes ( fuses and loose connection ) then I would think its either the Passenger door module computer itself..

If it was the communication network to the module then the window and door unlock/lock switch on the module should still work...

Wonder if the dealer can reflash the module?? Or will you need a new one???

Let us know what the dealer finds out!!!

A FPDM fault will throw a DTC. The BCM polls the modules frequently for a "State Of Health". If some module doesn't respond, or has an error to report, the particular code sets.

A quick hook up of a code scanner (or the Tech 2 at the dealer) may show something.

Thanks all for the help and hints,

I am going to pull the under hood fuse box to see if any wiring is loose, and also am going to isolate pass. door module and switches located on both driver and pass. sides, if I can not run down the fault or isolate it alteast or if i do isolate it and can not fix, will take to a dealer when i find one over here that i know can fix it right. WILL KEEP ALL POSTED.

SAM

Take it in and have them do this.

Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System Inoperative (Reprogram Passenger Door Module) #03-08-52-001C - (Mar 17, 2003)
Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System Inoperative (Reprogram Passenger Door Module)
2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2003 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

2003 HUMMER H2

From Start of Production (SOP) through December, 2002 for the 2003 Model Year

This bulletin is being revised to provide the latest service information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-52-001B (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:

The RKE key fob does not function.
The RKE has a very limited range.
The passenger door will not unlock from the passengers or drivers door switches.
The passenger door window is inoperative.
Correction

Important
For clarification purposes, the following information is provided. The components involved in this bulletin are known by various names. The Service Information Document ID #849813 refers to the component as the Door Lock and Side Window Switch. General Motors Service Parts refers to the components as SWITCH DR LK & SI WDO. Within this component is a micro processor that is referred to as the Passenger Door Module (PDM). Techline equipment refers to the component as the PDM Passenger Door Module. This bulletin addresses issues with the software of the microprocessor in the Passenger Door Module (PDM).

Perform the following procedure step by step (do not skip a step) to determine the proper course of action.

Important
Verify the software version in your Tech 2. If the software is not 23.001 or newer, your Tech 2 software needs to be updated.

Determine the production date of the vehicle by viewing the certification label on the driver's door.
If the vehicle's month of production is PRIOR to 01/03, go to Step 2.
If the vehicle's month of production is 01/03, THIS BULLETIN DOES NOT APPLY. Refer to Customer Satisfaction Program bulletin 03011, published March 2003.
If the vehicles month of production is 02/03 or newer, this bulletin does not apply. Refer to published Service Information for the symptom experienced by the customer.
Use the Tech 2 to determine the PDM operational software release number.
With the Tech 2 installed and powered up, verify the software version. If the software is not 23.001 or newer, your Tech 2 software needs to be updated.
Press Enter.
Select: Diagnostics.
Select model year: 2003.
Select: Light truck.
Select : Body.
Select the proper Product line.
Select the proper HVAC Type.
Select the proper Radio System type.
Select: Passenger Door Module.
Select: Data display.
Select: Module 1 information.
If a number is displayed following "Operational S/W Part Number" , continue with the next bullet.
If an (*) is displayed following "Operational S/W Part Number" , go to Step #3 below.
If the "Operational S/W Part Number" is 15181562, 15186199 or 15186460, exit out of this bulletin procedure. Refer to Service Information to diagnose the condition reported by the customer (the vehicle has the most current software as of the date of this bulletin).
Exit to the Main Menu.
Perform normal SPS reprogramming of the Passenger Door Module.
Go to Step 4.
If an (*) is displayed following "Operational S/W Part Number" , return to the screen which will allow you to select the Passenger Door Module by pressing Exit (3) times.
Select: Passenger Door Module.
Select: Special Functions.
Select: Refresh.
Follow all on-screen instructions.
When the Tech 2 displays "Refresh Procedure Successful", Exit to the Main Menu.
Perform normal SPS reprogramming of the Passenger Door Module.
Go to Step 4.
Return the vehicle to the customer.
Warranty Information

Have found out that the PDM is bad, replacement is on the way. thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!! :)

They found that the crystals for the PDM's (CPU clock?) goes bad when they were analyzing the returns. But their description of the analysis doesn't make sense.

What matters is they get the PDM replaced.

`Hope mine doesn't go out when my warranty's up!

Sperry,

Know what you mean, Have extended warranty on mine, still have a while till that time, Hope won't have to use it! Do not know how that would work being over here in Germany for the next 3 years.

Just wanted to thank those for thier input got AVA back yesterday and all is fixed had to replace PDM and now everythingis fine.

SFC House

Thanks to all, Got the PDM replaced and all is good.

SFC House

Following/need help

Hello,
Any help advice is welcomed. I have a 2003 Z71 Avalanche, 4x4 5.3. Having some electrical problems to the driver?s door ( no power to it at all at times).I have checked many things, fuses, grounds, master switch.  I have been reading allot about a computer update that fixed key fob issues. My fob has been acting weird, too.  My question is, what computer update (number please) is needed to assure that it is not the key fob issue? Also, I have read that the update should not be needed if the truck was manufactured after 01/2003. The date on the driver?s door is 05/2003... However, the symptoms appear to be the same. Thank you!

Best bet is to take it to a dealer. They should have any such updates recorded for your vin in their computer if a dealer did it.

Also the Keyfob connects to the passenger side door module not the drivers side module as I understand so it is more likely your passenger side for the keyfob.

I would suggest removing your drivers side module and disassembling it and check for any obvious signs of burns or possible water/drink damage. There are two circuit boards connected together and if you disassemble them you can inspect them for damage and put them back together. Pencil erasers on ribbon cable type connectors work wonders but make sure you remove any eraser left overs.

Rodney

Back