• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Sirus/XM Antenna, tuner under rear seat Install, How-To.

aSHP00l

I didn't anything like this when I was browsing the board for information. In case anyone can find some fuse for it ....

You will need:

3M double sided tape
Electrical tape
9/16 Hex key or torx bit
Knife, box cutter or equivalent

1). Start out with removing the bed cover plates so you will have easy access to the brake light cladding. Also remove the rear window and set aside

2). Remove plastic piece covering the jack on passanger side rear seat.

3). Remove door sill trim on passanger side

4). Now you can remove the trim behind the passanger side rear seat. It is attached with clips so it pulls right out. Note, it is attached to the middle trim piece above the rear window as well.

5). Undo the upper two clips on the driver side trim piece as well. You will not be able to remove the trim piece above the window unless this is done.

6). Now you are ready to remove the tim above the window. Like everything else it is held on by clips. Note, there are two round clips in where the window "clamps" are, remove them as well. Set aside trim piece for now.

With the interior disassembly completed lay down the midgate, it makes routing of the antenna cable easier.

7). Move to the outside of the vehicle and remove the 6 bolts holding the upper piece of the 3rd brake light cladding in place.

:cool:. There are two more bolts, on in each corner holding the lower piece of the cladding in place, remove them as well.

9). Lift the upper passanger side corner of the cladding and work your way towards the middle. This should let you lift the plastic from the 3M double sided tape.

10). Repeat from the drivers side corner and work your way towards the middle.

11). With the upper part of the cladding detached, start working on the lower fasteners. These are plastic clips and the break fairly easy. Pull up and towards the back of the vehicle to release the cladding.

12). Once cladding is loose you can either detach the electrical wiring or suspend it using the cables, I did the later.

13). Install your XM or Sirius antenna on the roof according to manufacturers instructions.

14). When done start routing your antenna cable. I used a dremel tool and cut a knotch in the plastic piece used for the 3M tape. I then routed my cable through that knotch. You can also secure it infront of the 3M tape using some electrical tape. Note, be sparse or you will have tape sticking out of the cladding.

15). Locate the rubber busing where the wires from the brake light is routed in to the body. It is on the passanger side.

16). Remove the bushing from the body and cut a smal hole for the antenna cable to pass through. You could also use the existing hole where the brake light is routed through.

17). Follow the brake light electrical wire and route your antenna cable through the same opening. Feed the entire cable in to the cab. When done reinstall the rubber bushing.

1:cool:. With the antenna cable now inside the cab, route it behind the headliner towards the passanger side where you removed the trim piece earier. Use electrical tape as needed to hold the antenna cable in place.

19). Route the cable down the passanger side and behind the plastic trim piece around the midgate lock. Use electrical tape to hold the cable in place.

20). Put up the midgate temporarily and run your antenna cable behind the trim piece under the MG. Alternatively you can remove this to make it neater.

21). Connect antenna cable to tuner and make any other necessary connections such as electrical and to hideaway box.

Reassemble interior and exterior trim pieces in the reverse order they were taken apart. Note, I found it easier to install the interior trim above the window if the weather stripping was out of the way.

Back