• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How Long Did Your Stock Tires Last?

leeder

Charter Member
Hi there,

I have a Z-66 w/ the 17" wheels, and my stock tires are @ 3/32s, basically meaning that I have to replace them at my next oil change. :mad: I have 21K miles, and I'm thinking the longevity is quite pre-mature.

What's the average life expectancy of the stock tires? I thought it would be at least 30K miles.

Thanks to all!

Alex

OH GOD!!!!! I'm desperately waiting for these darn tires to go bald!!!!! I want new ones. MT/R 285/70R-17. Want them badly......can't wait for my AT's to go bald. Only about 10,000 miles to go. Of course, if gas prices continue to rise, it could be 10,000 very expensive miles!!!!!!!!! Hasta Luego!!!!!

J

I've got the Goodyear AT's - so they are different from your Z-66 tires - I've got 27K miles and still going strong. I'm guessing I'll need to replace them this fall when I'm pushing 40K...

That's incredible Chief!! :eek:

You're looking at 40K before having to replace the stocks!! I didn't even get that out of the little Honda Civic I had before my Av!!

I wonder if my situation is unique, or if others w/ the Z-66 are accumulating about the same amount of miles before having to replacing their stocks?

I had them balanced and rotated at about 7K miles intervals. I don't think that this could be of neglected maintanenece, perhaps low quality tires.

Also, the sales rep. at Goodyear mentioned that the quality of stock tires on new cars or trucks is much less than that of replacement tires. Any truth to that? ???

I have the Z66 with Goodyear wrangler HP....

I have about 25K miles and about 1/4" left....on three of them...one got replaced due to a nail in sidewall.....

what type of roads and driving do you do.....city driving wears out tires quicker than highway.....

I just replaced my Goodyear Wrangler HP's a couple of weeks ago with Michelin Cross-Terrains. I had 34000 on the Goodyears, but there was probably another 6000 left on them. They were just getting too loud.

I like the Michelins much more than the stock Goodyears. Much quieter and much better traction in the wet.

Mine only lasted about 2000 miles. Then they made the short trip to my basement. >:D

Let's see...my front right tire was defective from the factory, so that one didn't last long...

Got a screw in the right rear one and it wasn't repairable so I got a new one there...

Got 2 originals left, we'll see what happens.

Kim

I still have my stock Goodyears....28K and going strong. I figure another 10 - 12K easily.

By the way...to Wombat...What size are the Michelins and how much did you pay?

Thanks guy's

mine lasted about 550 miles.....then i traded em for my 35's ;D
now I have Yokahama Geolander M/T's an they go fer about 30k if you member to rotate em often.

:cool:

Lets see

18,000 and I will replace about 20,000 before I leave for FL in April.

Problem ! Having the 2500 Av can chew up tires fast. Lots of horsepower. I have a lead foot and this truck has a lot of power, sometimes too much.

At least I remember what my z28 was like. So did the tire store.

I still love this truck.

I have the base 16" firestones and have 37K miles on them. I lost one on a nail on the side wall and replace it with the spare. The other three are still doing pretty good. I should be able to get 45-50K. I do a lot of highway miles and rotate them at every oil change (about 5000-5300 miles).

Can't wait till I get new ones. I want to go with 17" caddy wheels and tires.

I had the Firestones on 16" wheels. They went about 8 months and 22000 miles I now have 265/75/16 Goodyear AT/S's and hope they'll last a while. They make a huge difference over the stock tires. If you are looking to stay close to stock size I recommend these highly. You can get a really good price at Discount Tires.

Bryan

I have the Stock Goodyears and I have 17 inch rims on my Z71. I have put 30k on them. The last time I took my truck into the shop they said I only have used half the tread. I get long life out of my tires cause I rotate them every 3k miles. But, I do want them to go bad cause they are passanger tires. I have some AT/S sitting in my garage just waiting to go on my truck. I got them off a Ford owner that said they caused his truck to pull. Damn Ford owners they don't even know what a good tire is. This guy put 4k on them and they are still in good shape. I don't know if I'm going to use them before I lift my truck though. This Ford owner went in to Goodyear complaining about them and my little bro worked there at the time. You want to know what they did they put passenger tires on his Ford truck to make him happy. What good are Passanger tires on a truck. ???

AtomTaz said:
I have the Stock Goodyears and I have 17 inch rims on my Z71. ?I have put 30k on them. ?The last time I took my truck into the shop they said I only have used half the tread. ?I get long life out of my tires cause I rotate them every 3k miles. ?But, I do want them to go bad cause they are passanger tires. ?I have some AT/S sitting in my garage just waiting to go on my truck. ?I got them off a Ford owner that said they caused his truck to pull. ?Damn Ford owners they don't even know what a good tire is. ?This guy put 4k on them and they are still in good shape. ?I don't know if I'm going to use them before I lift my truck though. ?This Ford owner went in to Goodyear complaining about them and my little bro worked there at the time. ?You want to know what they did they put passenger tires on his Ford truck to make him happy. ?What good are Passanger tires on a truck. ???

what good is a ford in the first place? :D:

:cool:

over 46,000 on my Wrangler HP's so far and they are getting pretty thin..........................

I've got the 17" on/off road Goodyear ATS's, with about 23K miles on them.

They look great... unfortunately. I'm looking for something larger and more agressive.

Im planning on seeing at least 40K with them, if I keep them on. At this point, they'd barely be worth selling. Who wants to buy used tires that are at 50%?! :)

My last truck had BFG longtrails, and they lasted 55K.

I have about 44,000 on my Z66 and should get about another 3 to 4 thousand. I do alot of highway driving.

36,000 on the Wranglers and half gone. ?Rotate every oil change. ?Off-road and gravel hasn't affected them ?like I thought.

We've been getting 100,000 out of my wife's Bonneville ('96) with 16s - even the stock Goodyears! 214,000 miles and on the third set.

I am shocked to hear that after only 21,000 you need new tires. How do you drive your truck? I have 24,000 miles on mine and they still look almost new. I feel like doing some burn outs just so I can justify the purchase of the 18' Nitto Terra Grapplers.

The tires don't need to be replaced just yet, however I'm sure by my next oil change they'll be running really close to it.

I work in the city, and live in the suburbs, so the truck sees alot of city miles. Perhaps that's the problem... ???

That makes sense I guess. My truck has just really been used for "Around the town". I can only imagine what the tires would look like if they took the daily beating of the Brooklyn Queens Expressway.

Still going 47,500 miles on the original Wrangler HP's but the right side tires are getting pretty thin

I have 25,000 miles on firestone wilderness stock tires. They seemed to still be in good shape. I also have a suburban with the same tires and 40,000 miles and they are still decent. I guess its the driver, not the tire!

Back