• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Front Bumper Cover, anyone pull it off and replace??

Silver_TT

A guy banged into the front of my truck a few weeks ago and hit it pretty hard. :E:

I don't think there is too much damage or anything serious, but I did crack a piece of the front bumper cover. No broken lights or anything.

I found the part on GM Parts Direct and it is about $350. Has anyone ever taken off the front bumper cover? Is it hard? Special Tools?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks guys,

Dan

There are a bunch of guys that have replaced both front and rear bumper covers. It isn't too hard of a job, you should try doing a search on here for it. I have only taken it off, in order to put on my SOR bumper. There are a bunch of clips that you need to pop off, but the rest I am unsure of.

-James. :cool:

Thanks James. What is the SOR bumper? Is it worth upgrading since I have to buy a new bumper cover anyway?

Anyone else pull the bumper cover and replace it? Where would be the best place to buy the parts.

I have replaced the front bumper twice!!!

Hre is the deal...

there are 4 screws in each fender well remove them... 4 or 6 screws along the bottom of the bumper, remove them... pull the bumper twords you slightly..It will require some force so don't be afraid. When the bumper stops moving you will need to remove the 4 clips on the fender..2 each side. I do these with a pair of pliars. When you put the new one on do the steps in reverse.. place the clips FIRST into the new bumper then place the bumper on press the clips in tighten the screws. If you have done it before you can do it in about 15 minutes... first time I did it took me 1/2 hour total to replace.

Silver_TT said:
A guy banged into the front of my truck a few weeks ago and hit it pretty hard. :E:

I don't think there is too much damage or anything serious, but I did crack a piece of the front bumper cover. No broken lights or anything.

I found the part on GM Parts Direct and it is about $350. Has anyone ever taken off the front bumper cover? Is it hard? Special Tools?

Thanks guys,

Dan

Not that hard at all, and no special tools necessary.

GMAN

Bonedog -

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the details.

Anyone know where the cheapest place to buy a new '02 front bumper would be? GM parts sites have it listed for about $350, but then with shipping and everything it gets up there.

Thanks,

Dan

simple twist... just the plugs for your DRL and fog lights.. you have changed them haven't you :-X J/K once the bumper is off there are 4 nuts holding the actual housings on.. very simple unscrew and re attach to the new.

Silver_TT said:
Thanks James. What is the SOR bumper? Is it worth upgrading since I have to buy a new bumper cover anyway?

Anyone else pull the bumper cover and replace it? Where would be the best place to buy the parts.

SOR = Stealth Off-Road aka Big ugly things j/k ;)

Depending on how much of an eyesore your front bumper is, it might be worth it to wait until one comes up on eBay. But then again, I'm cheap! :p

Not sure how easy it is to get those clips out, even with pliers. But you might want to have some extra clips on hand, in case the original ones break. I have saved this info, but never bought any myself:

Part # Description Price Supplier Notes
N20328 Body panel clips $5.94 Northlandfasteners.com For a package of 5!

Regards,

-Joe

Walt (Anchorage) said:
So there is no need to disconnect the battery to keep the airbags from going off if you have to beat on the bumper?
sensors are not on the bumper, they are on the radiator support.

JoeSpicoli said:
Not sure how easy it is to get those clips out, even with pliers.  But you might want to have some extra clips on hand, in case the original ones break.  I have saved this info, but never bought any myself:

Part #    Description         Price       Supplier                        Notes
N20328   Body panel clips   $5.94       Northlandfasteners.com  For a package of 5!

Regards,

-Joe

Is this the about the best place/price anybody has found to get these body clips?  Do they work for all the panels?

Silver_TT said:

I don't think there is too much damage or anything serious, but I did crack a piece of the front bumper cover.  No broken lights or anything.

I found the part on GM Parts Direct and it is about $350.  Has anyone ever taken off the front bumper cover?  Is it hard?  Special Tools?

Thanks guys,

Dan

Rock Auto has that cover for less than $100 plus shipping. Doh! I just noticed this thread was started 10/04 instead of 10/14.

Back