• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

AIR CONDITIONER REFRIGERANT

D

decoy

I had a Blazer, which was easy to replace refrigerant. But, I don't see a place on my Avalance 1500 (2003), where the refrigerant can be injected.
(No, it's not out of refrigerant. I am just wondering.)

There is a place near dryer on starboard side....look for large lines as they tend to be low pressure lines........remember this takes the new stuff 134 or whatever it is called..........

You must be licensed to handle any refrigerant now. Be careful about the "universal refrigerant" kits you see advertised. Many of them are not compatible with the refrigerants that are installed at the factory. Some of them are actually propane gas! Propane is an excellent refrigerant, but unfortunately is explosive! Also the proper amount of freon is critical, being off by a fraction of a pound can lead to poor performance and extensive repairs. Air Conditioning service is definitely no longer a do-it-yourself project.

I just recharged my g/f's Neon (a Chrysler product) for her... it was really easy. I bought a canister at Target for like $10, came complete with hose and "universal" coupling. Now her A/C blasts plenty of cold air. Unfortunately, tried on a Saturn (a GM product), but the coupling didn't fit. Hope all GM vehicles aren't that way.

The instructions were:
1) attach hose to low pressure line (the wider one)
2) turn car on with A/C on max.
3) turn can upside down and empty it as much as it will take.

Make sure it can says "R-134a" in really big letters ;D. Do they even sell the old kind anymore?

Listen to Big_Don! ?I had some one do a "shade tree" AC recharge job to 2 fleet vans and when both had more problems, no shop would touch them after testing the systems! ?Apparently the "stuff in the can" was not R-12 or R-134a. ?The stuff contaminates their government mandated recovery systems. ?A good shop will usually charge $60-$75 for a system check and to top off the system with a small amount of refridgerant.

Don't ask what I had to do to get them fixed! ?:rolleyes:

R134a is not expensive and easy to get.It can get a little more involved just dumping in a can. If your AC is low you have a leak that should be repaired.

I do a lot of AC repair in my shop. In days gone by just adding some ref (R12) was pretty simple . Use sight glass till no bubbles and system was full. Or electronic device to sense ref in suction line. Todays systems require the exact amount of 134A or they will not operate properly. If you just buy the cans and add buy the (if a little is good more is better principle) you are just asking for trouble. As for alternative gases no dealer or after marker rebuilders wil warrent anything but R-12 0r 134A. so take you chances if you feel like voiding your warrenty.

Late model vehicles all have R134-A or SUVA as it is called. R-12 was called freon. They are not the same and by nomeans should they be mixed. Also both types of systems have a need for differant refrigerant oils to lubricate the compressors. If your system is low - YES you have a leak - 2 things happen when the system leaks, refrigerant oil is lost and air is introduced into the system. Loss of oil can cause damage to the compressor and also air has moisture in it which spells death for any AC system. ALL late model R134 access ports are the same - low side and high side are differant sizes and take differant adapters to hook up hoses, but all cars have the same size fittings for low and high sides. Also you should never add refrigerant as proper capacity is critical to operation and prevents damage. The other issue is the air and moisture - the system has to be evacuated of the air which is done by hooking a vacuum pump to the system and pulling it to 30 inches of vacuum - this does 3 things - gets out the air, gets rid of water (water boils in a vacuum) and also test system integrity for leaks. Refrigerant oil should then be added and system charged to proper capacity. Unless you have the proper equipment and training you should not attempt this on your own - LET A Professional do it!!!!! (y) ;) :) :D

Back