• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rubbing noise when driving

AvaLance

SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I noticed this last weekend and today it is worse. When I am driving down the road I hear this rubbing/squeaking noise when I stop it stops but soon as I start moving it starts again the faster I go the faster the noise goes. When I press on the brakes it is still there. I have an appointment tomarrow but I was wondering if anyone has had this problem so I don't get it up the rear from my dealership. The noise is driving me NUTS!!!!!!!

PS It sounds like it is coming from the rear wheels but I can't really tell.

Maybe the e brake line is rubbing or someother line/hose is rubbing the inside of rear tire?

Or maybe a bad suspension part?

dealer looked at my '02 Z66 for same problem, 3 times, never found reason for it. they did brake work and it got quieter, could hear it more pronounced when midgate was down, sounded like right rear, traded for a 2500, so far no noise.

sounds like u-joints. put the rear axle on jsck stands, start the truck and put it in gear. You should hear the noise as the rear wheels turn. Step on the brake before you put it back in park. with the wheels off of the ground, it will idle at about 40 mph. You don't want to put it in park at that speed. And if the noise isn't there when you do this, the chances are it's coming from the front end. If you have 4WD then you can put all 4 on jacks and listen around for yourself in the front also. (y)

thanks for the tips I hope they can fix it tomarrow. Yes I do have 4WD they just got done working on my e-brake a week ago I wonder if that has somthing to do with it.

AvaLance said:
thanks for the tips I hope they can fix it tomarrow. Yes I do have 4WD they just got done working on my e-brake a week ago I wonder if that has somthing to do with it.
They fixed your EBRAKE?

Hmmmmmm...This would make a sound if it was broken...but not a rubber on rubber rubbing noise...more like a file on metal noise....or fairly low pitch sound of metal in a lathe being turned.....kinda between a grinding and rubbing noise.....

AvaLance said:
thats what it sounds like metal rubbning metal

Have em check what they did to the E brake.....as when they drag...it will sound like metal on metal....well actual brake shoes on metal....

good luck

Hi, brand new on this site. I got my av. 6 weeks ago, just love it. I have the same problem that very annoying squeak. Just can't find where it is coming from. Just trying to rule out everything, like braking and it still there, meaning not brakes or suspension, loading it up with people(weight) still there, thinking maybe exhaust, in the cold climate I live in metal shrinks, but when warm still there, I'm lost, the worst of it all is still don't even have an idea of the area in which it is coming from, under the truck, inside, engine compartment, or under the dash.    HELP

i have the same problem with my "02" pulled rear wheel off and rotor off and found that the dust cover is rusting out and rubbing on the rotor Mike

Yeah...check your dust shield behind the rotor...just put your had back there and pull it out alittle bit and see if that fixes....they are easy to bend and you realy won't notice it till you drive the truck...

1.  U Joints.

if not 1, than 2.

2.  Dirt/dust in brake pads or around hubs.  Dirt getting stuck in hub seals means wheel bearings will be needed soon.

I was having the same problem, It turned out to be front drive shaft axle where it goes into transfer case.

Back