• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2004 GMC Envoy XUV

gandolphxx

Charter Member
GMC Introduces Another Industry-First Product - The Revolutionary Envoy XUV

See it here

DETROIT - General Motors' GMC division has dramatically raised the bar of sport utility functionality with the introduction of the revolutionary 2004 GMC Envoy XUV.

Envoy XUV, an exclusive GMC product, is the most adaptable SUV ever offered with unprecedented levels of versatility, functional innovation and state-of-the-art technology. Envoy XUV sets a new benchmark in sport utility capability with a host of industry-first features including:

Power-sliding rear roof: With a touch of a button, Envoy XUV easily converts the cargo area from fully enclosed to open-air. This never-before-offered transformation allows Envoy XUV to transport large, tall items ranging from armoires and refrigerators to small trees and bikes. The advantages of an open air cargo space give the Envoy XUV unrivaled versatility.
Next generation Midgatetm with power glass: Along with its exclusive power-sliding rear roof, Envoy XUV's advanced Midgate is the key to versatility. The Midgate glass can be raised or lowered with a push of a button. When the window is raised, the passenger compartment is sealed off from the rear cargo area. Lower the glass, fold and tumble the seats, and flip down the Midgate to create a wide, extended cargo that's wide enough to fit multiple 4x8 building sheets.
All-weather cargo area: The rear cargo area is engineered to be the most heavy duty and weather resistant in the industry. Plus, it has an innovative QuickDrain system that can channel as much as 22 cubic inches of water per second out of the cargo area. This allows the cargo area to be quickly cleaned with a simple garden hose after hauling wet or messy items like mulch or topsoil. Cargo area versatility is further enhanced by four tie-down rings that secure items of various shapes and sizes. And, an extensive selection of available GM Accessories expands Envoy XUV's cargo carrying versatility.
Drop or swing tailgate with power window: As the industry's only drop or swing tailgate with a power window, Envoy XUV's dual-function tailgate provides increased flexibility. The tailgate power window can be raised or lowered at the touch of a button. With the window fully lowered, the tailgate can be dropped for ease-of-loading and unloading. The tailgate can also swing right, allowing bumper access to the cargo area.
Envoy XUV's reconfiguration features were designed to allow consumers to perform every functional change with ease. With a push of a button, Envoy XUV's power-sliding roof, tailgate window and Midgate glass opens or closes. The tailgate drops or swings right with one-handed operation for ease of loading and unloading. And, the seats and Midgate can be reconfigured in seconds without tools.
"Envoy XUV is an outstanding compliment to the Envoy family and to GMC's portfolio of Professional Grade products, said Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC general manager. "The features, benefits and capabilities of the Envoy XUV are truly amazing," she added.

Sharing the same platform as the award-winning GMC Envoy XL, Envoy XUV is the embodiment of Professional Grade engineering. Envoy XUV is specifically designed to meet the diverse needs of today's SUV customers in one multifunctional vehicle.

For all its versatility, Envoy XUV never forgets its family roots. Envoy XUV maintains the expressive styling and unsurpassed levels of comfort, performance, and amenities inherent in Envoy's five- and seven-passenger models.

"Our research has proven that a large number of SUV customers want multifunctional, cargo-carrying capability without sacrificing passenger comfort and accommodations, said Craig Bierley, Envoy marketing director. "Envoy XUV is the first and only sport utility vehicle that fills this gap," he added.

Standard power comes from the award-winning all-aluminum Vortec 4200 inline six-cylinder engine that delivers a segment leading 275 horsepower and 275 lb-ft of torque. For those who require added towing capability, the available all-aluminum Vortec 5300 V8 generates 285 horsepower and 325 lb-ft of torque. Both engines are mated to the proven Hydra-Matic 4L60-E four-speed automatic transmission.

Envoy XUV makes its public debut in September at the Texas State Fair. Production begins in mid-2003 at GM's Oklahoma City plant.

For more information on Envoy XUV, consumers can visit http://www.gmc.com or call 1-888-ENVOY4U.

WOW Gand

That is a great story. It is interesting that GM has the elec window in the mid gate.

Some has said this would be a good feature for the AV, and other have said impossible.

A retracting roof - neat idea - watch out for leaks :)

Yeah, I just saw it yesterday (last night) when I was reading my latest issue of MT that just came in the mail. Looks pretty neat, but for 40K they can keep it :rolleyes: I rather use the $$ on perf. mods to my Ava. ;D

The "new' midgate did sound good though, would be nice to be able to do it with a touch of a button...

It is interesting, ought to be a fun first model year, I think the GMC folks are envious of the Chevy folks and wanted badly to one up them. ;D

I agree, but it's funny that GM had said the 'Midgate" would remain a Chevrolet only item, but then Escalade, and now GMC... Guess they want to spread a good thing around. Hey, before long we'll see a Hummer H3 with a midgate ;D

It is still an SUV. I don't see what it will do that an Avalanch won't.

I am glad that the AV is considered a truck. I would rather be a truck guy than an SUV guy. ;D

you know i thought i saw in motor trend or some other mag a while back about a concept or future release of an envoy with a midgate and it looked like the xuv but without the hatch in the far back. In fact it looked just like a baby AV. anyone else see this?

crewzzr said:
you know i thought i saw in motor trend or some other mag a while back about a concept or future release of an envoy with a midgate and it looked like the xuv but without the hatch in the far back. ?In fact it looked just like a baby AV. ?anyone else see this?

I think I saw it too, but the article in the current issue of MT mentions about the fact that the XUV is the end result of that concept, so I don't think their going to have a truck like version, we get the XUV instead.

There is a 2004 GMC Equinox coming out, it is a carbon copy of the AV, Different Headlights and Taillights and no body cladding. It will arrive in March 03 as a 04. Motortrend April Issus had a picture.

Does anyone have pictures yet? I'm unclear on exactly which part of the roof would retract...and to where?

On the power window.... if the window goes down into the midgate, that would make lowering the midgate with the window still in place (something I do all the time) impossible.... the conversion is then an "all or nothing" sort of thing?

I'm guessing that since the tailgate has a window, this thing is more SUV and less truck... perhaps the rear sides (windows) stay in place when you open the roof...?

I've seen pictures of both the Equinox and the XUV. I'm not crazy about the looks on the XUV - the Equinox is AWESOME. Looks like a GMC Envoy with the Avalanche sail panel on the back - it looks great. I just don't know about the XUV. I mean honestly, the retractable roof just sounds like a solution looking for a problem...

jetter527 said:
There is a 2004 GMC Equinox coming out, it is a carbon copy of the AV, Different Headlights and Taillights and no body cladding. ?It will arrive in March 03 as a 04. ?Motortrend April Issus had a picture.

That's what I meant earlier when I said the latest issue says that the XUV is what their previous reports of the Equinox were based on. They now made it seem like the only one that would make it to production would be the XUV. Anyone heard different?

I chose that model year because of the curved window....when i saw the pic of the envoy...I immediately thought of that...and what else was cool about that model....was the tailgate slid down inside the vehicle...I wonder if the Envoy does that as well.

Crexis said:
Does anyone have pictures yet? ?I'm unclear on exactly which part of the roof would retract...and to where?

Check out GMC web site they have an interactive flash of the new Envoy.
Envoy XUV
It has multi function tailgate that opens to the side or folds down. My dad had a station wagon that did that back in the 70's.

My dad had a 1968 Ford LTD country Squire wagon with wood on the side...then my neighbor across the street used to have Chevy's...they bought a 1972 Impala wagon...we used to fight about which auto maker was better...i chanted FORD...he chanted CHEVY...funniest thing is...I have become a Chevy man and he is a Ford guy...who would have thought?

I don't quite get it... There is a mid-gate in an SUV??

I understand there is a TAIL gate... and you can probably remove or fold down the rear seats... but why would you put a midgate in??

I think the midgate is there to seal the cargo are from the passenger area. Let's say you have something tall in the back, which requires the roof to be open, but the weather is cold outside.

I think that this is a great looking truck, but could use a removable third row seat in the cargo area. Maybe rear facing, for when you need to carry a couple of extra people.

Found this on the web:
A Chevy Avalanche-type pickup/ SUV is being produced for the 2003 model year based off the new Envoy XL called the GMC Equinox.

Looks like it?s designed to compete against the Ford Explorer Sport Trac as it will smaller that the AV.

Liked your site

Attachments

• gmc_equinox.jpg
    gmc_equinox.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 9
Yes,

Third seat in cargo area...Great Idea. What fun for the kids. Ride in the back of a pick up legally.

Who has one and where can we get one?

I really like the electric window on this baby. Wish my AV had that feature.

I think GMC has a real winner with this. They're going to sell gobs of them. I'm just wondering with the complex tailgate, if the insurance companies are going to up premiums over a standard Envoy. I imagine replacing the powerwindow mechanism and getting the dual opening gate to work right after a rear-ender might involve a lot of labor.

Good read on the Motor Trend site about the new Envoy
Envoy XUV

gmc2.jpg

Good Morning,
I think that the best news from all this is that GM is committed to the mid-gate concept. That bodes well for all of us who have the Avalanche. Hopefully, there will be a long life cycle to the Avalanche line.

The oddest thing though, is that the other manufacturers have not exploited the mid-gate SUV/Pickup concept.
Just my thoughts.
Durwin

Back