• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tailgate keeps "popping" open?

BAT

I've done a search and couldn't find a thread about this. Has anyone else had their tailgate pop open while driving down the road? It has now happened to me several times. :E: :E: The first few times I thought I didn't close it all the way, :2: :2: so I get out and "slam" it shut. :8: I was on my way home tonight and it did it again. Scared the s@%t out of me, again! :7: I did have it open this morning as I was cleaning my Av and was sure to "slam" it shut. With the recall of the cables, which mine have not been replaced as of yet, my other concern is additional damage to the gate. Any suggestions, not going to weld or screw it shut as some may suggest, would be greatly appreciated. :-*

Mine will do it pretty often...only solution I have found is to keep it locked. With the replacement cost of the hard covers, I figure it's a good idea anyway.

That's true. I actually just found a thread about the same problem. A few had the gate fall off. I'll try to lock it and see if that works.

you need to adjust the strikes. they are located on the left and right side of the bed when tailgate is open. to do this the tail lights need to be removed. the screws on the inside of the bed by the tail lights will allow them to come out. you will need a torx bit to turn the strike, and a wrench to hold the nut on the opposite end. if the tailgate keeps dropping open, then the strikes need to be moved toward the rear of the truck slightly. this will allow the latches on the tailgate to completely lock around the strike.
try this... close the tailgate the way you normally do. pull firmly on the left, and then the right corners. if the latch does not completely lock that side of the tailgate will open.
when you adjust the strikes remember to move them a little at a time. tighten them. then close the tailgate firmly. pull corners again. i had to do this once. it solved my problems. good luck.

Had this problem. Took it to the dealer and let them adjust the strikes. No more problems. They had no idea what I was talking about until I refered to our website.

sometimes the people you deal with at the dealers are not always the sharpest people. makes me wonder sometimes. ???

Mine did it once, on my 24 hr test drive. Scared the *(&%&^$ out of me!!

I am sure mine was from me not shutting it hard enough, but it definitely sounds like you have a problem. As said above, if you have a good dealer, take in and let them fool with it. If you don't, just adjust it yourself.

Good luck!

What is the purpose of the sheet metal hooks on the tailgate? They don't line up with anything, and only appear to be there to snag my shorts.

Uesque said:
What is the purpose of the sheet metal hooks on the tailgate? They don't line up with anything, and only appear to be there to snag my shorts.

they are supposed to have littel rubber triangle bumpers mounted on them to help prevent tailgate from vibrating when closed...

Many have lost them....way back in this section are some threads of peeps losing theirs and ripping pants/shorts.....

I think someone got p/n but not sure as memory is fading fast

ygmn has right! One thread:

Rubber Tailgate Things

Here is a pic from the thread (pdxkevin posted the pic originally):

tab.jpg

And moondogger posted:
They cost $3.38 each at gmpartsdirect.com, part # 16640464.

But I'm having mine done under warranty (as soon as the Armor-dillo stuff comes in). And I'm gonna glue/epoxy/weld/duct tape/bailing wire :p those darn things on this time! :0:

Good luck!

-Joe

While installing my power tailgate lock, i had the handle portion of the tailgate off, when i reinstalled everything, the tailgate could pull open with my hand. I figured i had adjusted the adjusters on the arms going to the handle too tight, so i gave them a little more slack, and everthing works good, havent ever had my tailgate just fly open.

Man, happened to me a few times when not locked. Scarry :8: Now, I dread unlocking my tail gate because then I can't lock it! It takes me 5 to 10 minutes playing arounf to get it to lock. :E: What should I do, HELP! :E:

Rootman said:
Man, happened to me a few times when not locked. Scarry :8: Now, I dread unlocking my tail gate because then I can't lock it! It takes me 5 to 10 minutes playing arounf to get it to lock. :E: What should I do, HELP! :E:

The tailgate won't lock because one or both of the strikers are out of adjustment. Adjust the strikers as described by Punisher earlier in this thread. (reply #4)

AVid said:
The tailgate won't lock because one or both of the strikers are out of adjustment. Adjust the strikers as described by Punisher earlier in this thread. (reply #4)

As stated by Avid...it is right here...

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=155;action=display;threadid=31524;start=msg496137#msg496137

PUNISHER said:
you need to adjust the strikes. they are located on the left and right side of the bed when tailgate is open. to do this the tail lights need to be removed. the screws on the inside of the bed by the tail lights will allow them to come out. you will need a torx bit to turn the strike, and a wrench to hold the nut on the opposite end. if the tailgate keeps dropping open, then the strikes need to be moved toward the rear of the truck slightly. this will allow the latches on the tailgate to completely lock around the strike.
try this... close the tailgate the way you normally do. pull firmly on the left, and then the right corners. if the latch does not completely lock that side of the tailgate will open.
when you adjust the strikes remember to move them a little at a time. tighten them. then close the tailgate firmly. pull corners again. i had to do this once. it solved my problems. good luck.

yea, what he said (y)

Another vote for adjusting the strikers.  Tailgate opened a couple of times, once at the "stealership".  The GM Goodwrench guys put white grease on the latches.  This helped a little, but when the handle was pulled, it opened way too easy.  Yesterday, it wouldn't shut.  Long story short, saw "rings" where the strikers had been positioned, but had moved forward.  Readjusted strikers, pulling 'em back...good to go.
(y)

Mine has fallen open a few times, I really have to slam it pretty good especially in cold weather to get it to stay shut.  The passanger side is the side that I have noticed that doesn't latch all the time I'm have to try to adjust this weekend

Same problem, the latches won't click in place when the tailgate is closed. A bit of WD-40 on the tension springs where the latches are helps somewhat. I unbolted the latch housing on either side of the tailgate so that I can get some more movement to wiggle in the wd-40. I'd take the tailgate apart but can't figure that out. Right now its good but I still pull on either end when the gate is up, to be sure the latches have engaged. If you have to slam it to shut it, that's a sign of a problem for sure.

Back