• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

HD Radio

rjcomeau

Charter Member
Is anyone have/use a HD Radio unit. I'm not sure who else besides Kenwood has them available. I see that coverage is thin and the tuner runs between $300-$400 so I don't think it'e very popular yet. On the other hand, there is no subscription and it seems it has some major backing for the broadcast community. From what I've read, it seems that it's trying to be broadcast radio's answer to Sirius/XM. Just looking for some impressions from anyone who might be using it, especially compared to XM/Sirius.

Thanks

It's the broadcast industry's way of "competing" with satellite - obviously. But IBOC will only provide a better-sounding media than what they have (And a bit more efficient). I don't see a real heavy interest in the OEM or aftermarket equipment yet, and with the (IMO) "runaway" advertizing and usually poor rural coverage of broadcast, they better realize that satellite radio has one hell of an advantage, de$pite the $ubscription.

I agree, overall with the consolidation of broadcast radio, selection is weak. I only see 8 stations (AM/FM combined) that are offered in my area (Boston) today. ClearChannel's press release states 95% in 3 years ??? Too little to late in my mind. It reminds me of cable TV where local broadcasts have been swept into the cable stream because they can distribute more, better that any one station can. I was curious if anyone has heard/used it and how the quality compares to Sat. radio. I understand the current limitations of both XM/Siruis (how they both have finite bandwidth) and wanted to see how it stacks. Most of the HD tuners now have both digital/analog tuners that can switch depending if the desired station is digital or analog. OEM may be putting these dual tuners in their units in the future but I don't see it happening for quite a while. It's kinda like the pains HDTV is going through with it's conversion.

HD radio is the same old commercial filled stuff you get now....but a bit clearer......

Kronk said:
I agree, overall with the consolidation of broadcast radio, selection is weak. I only see 8 stations (AM/FM combined) that are offered in my area (Boston) today. ClearChannel's press release states 95% in 3 years ??? Too little to late in my mind. It reminds me of cable TV where local broadcasts have been swept into the cable stream because they can distribute more, better that any one station can. I was curious if anyone has heard/used it and how the quality compares to Sat. radio. I understand the current limitations of both XM/Siruis (how they both have finite bandwidth) and wanted to see how it stacks. Most of the HD tuners now have both digital/analog tuners that can switch depending if the desired station is digital or analog. OEM may be putting these dual tuners in their units in the future but I don't see it happening for quite a while. It's kinda like the pains HDTV is going through with it's conversion.

Kronk,

Any HD Radio updates?  I'm done paying for radio.  My subscription is over and am looking for better options than paying for sat radio, been there done with that.  There is little way to justify $300 a year for two radio subscriptions.  Besides, Sirius and XM were not on the up and up with consumers when spinning the merger quest.  Also there is little to no way SiriusXM is going to find a bank to re-finance the massive debt which is coming up due, and with less than 50% of car buyers activating sat. radio subscriptions after the free period IMO the satellite radio experiment failed like satellite radio corporate management has over it's few short years.  Sure hope Chevrolet is smart enough to take the loss and move onto consumer friendly in car entertainment (like other automakers have) and not ride the SiriusXM monopoly to it's grave leaving consumers with 2009's equivalent to the pet rock installed in most of our Chevrolet's.  Think the JVC KT-HDP1 is going to be a good upgrade for my current Sirius radio's.

Back