• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

"Service Airbag" DIC Warning - New TSB

Castle_Rock_AV

SM 2004
A "Service Airbag" warning popped up on the DIC on my 2003 Avalanche Z71 about 4 -5 months ago. It was intermittent - but would come on more and more often. I took it in for service about 1-1/2 months ago. The first time they replaced a bushing spring in the steering column. Thought they had fixed it - the Service Airbag warning popped up on the DIC when I got into it to drive it home from the dealer. They ordered a new airbag module and installed it 2 days later.

I took a 2800 mile trip to Kentucky - and the warning popped up - infrequently - throughout the trip. I took it in this Monday and they re-replaced the bushing spring. Got it back Tuesday with no warning Tuesday afternoon or yesterday. This morning the Service Airbag warning was back. I took it in and there was another 2003 Z71 parked on the side of the entrance. The service manager met me at my truck and said that he half expected me back. The other AV had the exact same problem. He also said that GM had just issues a TSB for the problem that involved a wiring harness behind the driver's side kick panel. They had to take it apart and verify the problem before they were permitted to order the part. They verified the problem and ordered the part.

Here is the kicker - The part is on national backorder.

They gave me a a rental and said that it could be 2 days or it could be 3 weeks. We will see. I will post the TSB number when I get my paperwork.

I know that some of you have had to have had this problem. If Colorado did not have the weakest Lemon Law that I have ever read - I would be starting that process. However - Colorado's Lemon Law only applies to cars that are under factory warranty OR under one year old - WHICHEVER IS SHORTER!!??!!

I took the rental car because they wanted me to sign a release (NOT!) - the wife talked them out of the Malibu Classic - at least I got a Trailblazer.

Hope the General gets this figured out.

More to follow........

Steve
Castle Rock AV

This is an interesting twist! I didn't expect to see this coming at us.

A few weeks ago I was driving early in the morning, still dark. I'm not usually in the vehicle during dark hours this time of year, just too much day light when I'm driving.

Anyway, I wasn't paying attention to much more than what was on the road at that ugly hour and I noticed the lights on my rear view mirror were not lit up.

As I scanned the dash for other irregularities, they flickered a few times and finally stayed on. I can't say if this has been happening in the day time or not and I didn't see any DIC displays to go with it.

I'll be taking it in next week for some Service 4 Wheel Drive stuff and mention this episode too.

Thanks for the heads up. (y)

I,too, have an '03 1500 4x4 and have been experiencing the "Service Airbag" lite. Been in the shop for repairs five times since April. It came on before I had gone 500 miles into a trip to Alaska in May. Sensor had been replaced 12th of May. Great Falls, Mt. dealer worked on it for five hours to no avail. Drove up to Homer, Alaska when in frustration I called Chev Customer service to find out if the system would function and was told that probably not. I completed my trip under duress and took it back to my dealer. Two days later same thins happened Lite came on. Contacted Chevrolet about a buyback under the "Lemon Law" for which it qualifies and was informed by Mary Lowe-Murphy that no way were they going to buy it back and if they did so, would be charged $10,000 for milage plus return my $4750 rebate and all thre payments I had made to boot. Now is this a h-ll of a way to run a railroad? I asked about a 100,000 mile warranty extension and she laughed. I told her that I would be retaining an attorney. This sucks. I told her that her attitude was not for the customer, but all for her and none for me, also that Chevrolet was was anything but a reputable company as far as I was concerned. Can't even trade for an '04 as my dealer said truck is dangerous to some degree and won't be responsible for it due to airbag problems. The saga will continue............................Charlie

GM is buying mine back less $3500 for usage and $5000 in DIO. 6" lift, wheels, tires, grill and carbon fibre dash.
Paid $41,500 out the doot TTL and will get $33,750 back in cash. Is this worth it?

Castle_Rock_AV, do you have the TSB number?  The light just came on for me with the DIC notification... it is intermittent.? The dealer said it didn't set the code so they cannot confirm.? I'll be paying close attention to this old thread.

I have joined the ranks of the "Service Airbag" people on my '03 Z71 Av.  The part that really sucks is I'm at 53,000 miles (no warranty).  Does anyone know how difficult and how much to fix per TSB.  Also, can someone post the TSB or TSB number?  Thanks for any information.  :E:

~Wags

me too...i've been in this boat for a long time....it has been to the dealer for this issue so that may help now that i'm not under warrentee anymore...the tsb# would be very helpful.
Thanks.

I've been spared any of these odd issues, but it'd certainly be nice to have the TSB detail here for all to see and reference, just in case.

Heck, some of us might just undertake the fix "just in case" as well.

I have a few issues to go with the Air Bag problem when I finally go in under extended warranty ($100 per visit, not problem).

I need my steering shaft replaced (klunks), my fuel gage (a TSB did replace the gage panel) is not responding correctly (IGN on, LOW FUEL LGT at times, 250+ miles on tank, gage shows 3/4 tank left), the remote for the locks has lost it's distance (both fobs, new batterys).

The sad part is that I THINK, the dealership will only be able to fix the steering problem correctly, all other issues will require multiple visits and STRESS...

Murman :cool:

when mine went in (back when it was under warrentee) that is what they told me too...but the problem came back!

OK, this is what I have found.? Don't know what it means though?

Make: CHEVROLET
Model: AVALANCHE
Year: 2003
Type: TRUCK
Service Bulletin Number: 50941001
NHTSA Item Number: 10013456
Summary Description:? ?SUPPLEMENTAL INFLATABLE RESTRAINT (SIR) LIGHT ON, DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) B0026 AND/OR B004. TO INCLUDE 2003-2005 CHEVROLET/GMC FULL SIZE PICKUP AND UTILITY MODELS. *TT

Anybody want to shed some light.? Thanks.

~Wags

Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) Light ON, DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 (Inspect and/or Replace IP Harness to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Yellow 4-Way Connector C221) #05-09-41-001 - (Jan 19, 2005)

2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade Models

2003-2005 Chevrolet Full Size Pickup and Utility Models

2003-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

2003-2005 GMC Full Size Pickup and Utility Models

Condition
Some customers may comment that the Service Air Bag Light is on.

Diagnosis with a scan tool may indicate a DTC B0026 and/or B0044 is set.

Cause
The most likely cause of a DTC B0026 and/or B0044 is improper connection/high resistance in the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221, located behind the driver's side hinge pillar panel.

Diagnostic Information

DTC B0026-stage 1 or B0044-stage 2 will set when one of the following conditions occur:

?  The SDM detects the steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is greater than 4.8 ohms for 500 milliseconds. 

?  The SDM detects that the voltage at steering wheel module high control is less than 2.4 volts and steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is 6 ohms or greater for 500 milliseconds. 

?  For additional diagnostic information, refer to DTC B0022, B0024, B0026, B0042, B0043, or B0044 (SI Document ID #847376). 

Correction
DO THIS
Don't Do This

Test for proper connection/high resistance at connector C221.
DO NOT replace SIR system components prior to testing for proper connection/high resistance in C221 for DTCs B0026 and/or B0044

Caution: When performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zones. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.

Important: The IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221 is NOT located at the base of the steering column. The IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module yellow 4-way connector C221 is located behind the driver's side hinge pillar panel.

Remove the drivers side door sill plate.
Remove the driver's side hinge pillar panel.
Locate the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module yellow 4-way connector C221.
Inspect the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221 for proper connection.
Disconnect and reconnect the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221 THREE times.
Clear the DTC and road test the vehicle.
  -  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO NOT reset, no additional repairs are necessary. Continue with step 10. 

-  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO reset, the most likely cause is high resistance in the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221. Continue with the next step. 

Replace the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221, P/N's 15306186 and 15306363. Refer to SIR/SRS Wiring Repairs (SI Document ID #325229).
Road test the vehicle and confirm that the repair is complete.
  -  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO reset, refer to DTC B0022, B0024, B0026, B0042, B0043, or B0044 (SI Document ID #847376). 

-  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO NOT reset, no additional repairs are necessary. Continue with the next step. 

Install the driver's side hinge pillar panel.
Install the driver's side door sill plate.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Connector (4-way Female, w/Leads)

Connector (4-way Male, w/Leads)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

N6624
Wiring And/Or Connector - Occupant Safety - Repair Or Replace
Use published labor operation time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer".  They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle.  Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely.  If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition.  See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
  WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

? Copyright General Motors Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.

WOW!...thanks GM-TECH...and welcome to the site!
:wave:

Cat Dancer said:
This is an interesting twist! I didn't expect to see this coming at us.

A few weeks ago I was driving early in the morning, still dark. I'm not usually in the vehicle during dark hours this time of year, just too much day light when I'm driving.

Anyway, I wasn't paying attention to much more than what was on the road at that ugly hour and I noticed the lights on my rear view mirror were not lit up.

As I scanned the dash for other irregularities, they flickered a few times and finally stayed on. I can't say if this has been happening in the day time or not and I didn't see any DIC displays to go with it.

I'll be taking it in next week for some Service 4 Wheel Drive stuff and ?mention this episode too.

Thanks for the heads up. ?(y)

The lights kept going off on my mirror too and the fuse would low.  Turned out the wiring harness coming down the A pillar to the mbec was hanging low and rubbing.  I taped it up and re- fed it back up through the dash where it couldn't rub anything.

Interesting that it's the driver side connector since the passenger side has the same connector and if you pull the airbag/horn section from the steering wheel there's a yellow plug there too. 
The yellow plugs have an orange plastic retaining pin.

I wouldn't mess with it myself, I'd be afraid I'd set off the airbag. Disconnecting the battery should disable the airbags but you'd think GM would have to fix a saftey issue like this for free even if you have no warranty.

GM-Tech said:
[Caution: When performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zones. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.

Great stuff!

GM-Tech said:
Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) Light ON, DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 (Inspect and/or Replace IP Harness to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Yellow 4-Way Connector C221) #05-09-41-001 - (Jan 19, 2005)

2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade Models

2003-2005 Chevrolet Full Size Pickup and Utility Models

2003-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

2003-2005 GMC Full Size Pickup and Utility Models

Condition
Some customers may comment that the Service Air Bag Light is on.

Diagnosis with a scan tool may indicate a DTC B0026 and/or B0044 is set.

Cause
The most likely cause of a DTC B0026 and/or B0044 is improper connection/high resistance in the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221, located behind the driver's side hinge pillar panel.

Diagnostic Information

DTC B0026-stage 1 or B0044-stage 2 will set when one of the following conditions occur:

? ??? The SDM detects the steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is greater than 4.8 ohms for 500 milliseconds.?

? ??? The SDM detects that the voltage at steering wheel module high control is less than 2.4 volts and steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is 6 ohms or greater for 500 milliseconds.?

? ??? For additional diagnostic information, refer to DTC B0022, B0024, B0026, B0042, B0043, or B0044 (SI Document ID #847376).?

Correction
DO THIS
Don't Do This

Test for proper connection/high resistance at connector C221.
DO NOT replace SIR system components prior to testing for proper connection/high resistance in C221 for DTCs B0026 and/or B0044

Caution: When performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zones. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.

Important: The IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221 is NOT located at the base of the steering column. The IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module yellow 4-way connector C221 is located behind the driver's side hinge pillar panel.

Remove the drivers side door sill plate.
Remove the driver's side hinge pillar panel.
Locate the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module yellow 4-way connector C221.
Inspect the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221 for proper connection.
Disconnect and reconnect the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221 THREE times.
Clear the DTC and road test the vehicle.
? ?-? If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO NOT reset, no additional repairs are necessary. Continue with step 10.?

? ?-? If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO reset, the most likely cause is high resistance in the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221. Continue with the next step.?

Replace the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221, P/N's 15306186 and 15306363. Refer to SIR/SRS Wiring Repairs (SI Document ID #325229).
Road test the vehicle and confirm that the repair is complete.
? ?-? If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO reset, refer to DTC B0022, B0024, B0026, B0042, B0043, or B0044 (SI Document ID #847376).?

? ?-? If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO NOT reset, no additional repairs are necessary. Continue with the next step.?

Install the driver's side hinge pillar panel.
Install the driver's side door sill plate.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Connector (4-way Female, w/Leads)

Connector (4-way Male, w/Leads)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

N6624
Wiring And/Or Connector - Occupant Safety - Repair Or Replace
Use published labor operation time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer".? They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle.? Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely.? If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition.? See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

? Copyright General Motors Corporation.? All Rights Reserved.
Is the service writer going to say, "Bring the vehicle in when the light is active, please." or has GM authorized repair/replacement of this w/o an actual occuring fault?? I do have several cell phone pictures with the light on.

Murman :cool:

good point....for me it is only on for about 10 seconds

BigBlackAv said:
good point....for me it is only on for about 10 seconds

It's supposed to come on for about 6 seconds and go off when you start the truck. That's the self diagnostic telling you the connections are good.

Just wanted to add that before someone confuses the intermitant on problem with normal function

no...it is supposed to blink 7 times when you start and that is it

BigBlackAv said:
no...it is supposed to blink 7 times when you start and that is it

I don't really pay attention as long as it doesn't stay on, some cars it's on for 6 seconds.
I've had an AV 4 1/2 years so as long as it doesn't do something abnormal I don't think about it.
Now I'll probably watch it blink the next time I start my truck. LOL 
I think all vehicles with airbags have some type of self diagnostic at start.

i hope so...and the only reason i know...is it was in the JPCustoms insturction to add steering wheel audio controls kit for my '02

Back