• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Using the XM antenna for an aftermarket install

04avintheATL

Greetings all, I am about to completey remove the Bose system in my 2004 AV for an aftermarket setup, (don't really want to, but Bose leaves me no choice). At any rate my installer tells me that the AVN8454 I am going to put in can not support XM so I will need another tuner. No problem, the problem is he says I have to have another antenna because he can not use the one that came with the vehicle.

Is there a way to wire an XM unit using the antenna on the roof? Better yet, is there a way to use the XM reciever that is there with some separate unit. Any help would be appreciated.

Wow, good question! This could be interesting.
Damon

I am not familiar with the factory plug on the end of the XM antenna but be aware that there are single plug XM antennas (pink, I think) and dual plug ones (Green and Mustard). it may simply be that the deck they want to sell you requires the other kind. There are adapters out there to solve this for about $30 or less. This may be completely off teh mark, but I thought I would throw it out there for what it is worth.

Zuhl, any idea where I could go to find such an adapter? I am pretty sure I have the single wire version, (so says the installer)

Let me know when you decide to unload the XM box; I have XM but I want to pattern a retrofit cable for add-in's.
(And the ant/cable if you'll be removing it)
I was going to get one from a member but he disappeared!

Some antenna info here: CAFCNA: XM Radio Woes
The link starts in the area where there's some antenna discussion.

I'd be interested in the antenna as well... after Sperry of course!

Regards,

SpottyJ

Well I'm trying my best to save it, actually I am just 1 nights sleep away from making the move to buy and install the Caddy/Hummer nav system. I have some questions out there that need answering. Still a little nervous. BUT if I don't go for the GM Nav HU, then eveything comes out and in with the new, which means xm is out too.
By the way, Sperry, thank you for your help, I have only a few more fears and I will spend the $1800 and get the stuff......

Found the adapter to use the factory antenna with my Alpine XM reciever. Thanks, if anyone needs to know about it let me know.

I have done it and it works great!

I have the alpine tuner with 2 antenna inputs and the 2004 antenna with one connector. I found a adapter made by terk (forgot the number). The only thing is that I had to break off the yellow plasic cover on the antenna wire, which caused it to be very loose. But nothing a little hot glue can't fix.

I put the Alpine IVA-d300 in my avalanche. I plan to post pics of the install when i get a chance.

Thanks for the info, my installer found the same one. KOOL. The only problem I had was the HU and Alpine XM tuner. That Alpine does not have an output. I was VERY close to getting that Alpine HU you got, please let me know what you think. I would love to see how you installed it. I am putting the Eclipse in myself.I should get it back on Tuesday, I will post with all of the changes made.

Back