• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Accomodations for Southern Regional 2004

dsw7311

SM 2004
SM 2003
since Palo Dura Canyon is located outsdie of Amarillo, Texas maybe thats the best place to start looking for accomodations.

here is what I have found for Canyon, Texas

Holiday Inn Express
66 rooms, indoor pool and spa, exercise room, executive suites, whirlpool. 1-800-holiday

Goodnight Inn
37 rooms. Swimming pool, deluxe rooms.. 1-800-654-7350

Buffalo Inn
21 rooms, cable, HBO, ESPN. 1-800-526-9968
The Country Home Bed and Breakfast.
Hot tub, outdoor deck and snacks at bedtime. (806) 655-7636.

If any member is in the Amarillo/Canyon area and would find out about special rates and pricing I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I will need voluteers to get more information.

chaz said:
Don't know if you have to reserve these or not but if so put me down for a camping site please.
chaz. follow this link to make reservations for camping. Reservations
for a map of the park and facilities follow this link. you will need ADOBE Acorbat to view it and you should be able to save it to your computer and print it out PARK MAP

Mrs.Avz66 said:
If you do not mind Chaz, what part of the park did you make reservations??
I was in the Hacklebury Sites when I clicked on book now. But the order shows up as unspecified. Apparently they assign campsites on first come first serve basis. I'll be getting there on the 9th so will try to get in that area since it seems closer to water.

chaz will you be tent camping or a cabin?

chaz said:
We'll be tent camping.
I am undisided on tent camping right now. I know Texas-Space will be AV tent camping.

avz66 said:
I am undisided on tent camping right now. I know Texas-Space will be AV tent camping.

Just be sure to keep your AV safe and sound so you can sleep in your tent in YOUR AV ;) but you know you can always use my AV for your tent >:D

MissAvalanche said:
Just be sure to keep your AV safe and sound

Thats why I am undisided on tent camping right now. >:D

chaz said:
errr why safe and sound? ???

well let's just say that when he needed to use his AV for the tent, he didn't have his AV so he "rented the bed" of my AV for his tent. ;)

MissAvalanche said:
well let's just say that when he needed to use his AV for the tent, he didn't have his AV so he "rented the bed" of my AV for his tent. ;)
Ah ok. Thought maybe you were talking about lions and tigers and bears. heheh
If that was the case I would probably need more than one back up dog. Maybe an auxillary dog or two. ;D

I'm going to drive up to Canyon tomorrow and check out the motel situation. Maybe take some pictures. Will report back as soon as I can.

Anything else I should check out?

I'm back. Posted my report on the other site. If anyone thinks I should, I'll put it here too, but not tonight. I'm tired!

PS If anyone wants to do the cross-post for me, feel free!

ImpactAV said:
I'm back. Posted my report on the other site. If anyone thinks I should, I'll put it here too, but not tonight. I'm tired!

PS If anyone wants to do the cross-post for me, feel free!

I'll do that for you Impact! No problem....

Here is the information from ImpactAV for the motel possibilities:

--Holiday Inn first. It's typical. Big box. The parking is in a narrow strip across the front and sides. Not really good for parking lot activities. Entrance through the lobby door front, or the sides.

--The Buffalo Inn only has 22 rooms, and the parking lot is even smaller. It will be decidedly cramped with a bunch of Av's in it. It is located downtown. Lots of stuff within walking distance. I didn't see inside a room, but judging from the outside they are small. It is also very nicely maintained. (I did not inquire as to how many rooms would actually be available.)

--The Goodnight Inn has a nice big parking lot. (Also has a nice pool but closed after labor day.) They have 39 rooms. Unfortunately, almost half are rented weekly. I stayed there. Room was clean and neat, but not fancy in any way. It is typical old motel with parking right in front of the rooms.

This would be my choice except for the limited number of rooms. If all the motel people want to stay in the same place, it has to be Holiday Inn. On the other hand, if we split up, this would be a good meeting place before cruises.

--Campers. I don't think anyone is looking for hookups, but there are some available

--Tent camping, either on the ground or in the truck.

I thought the Cactus tent area looked best. The sites are not real close to each other. Each has a covered picnic table. Sites 70, 71, 72, and 73 are set back from the road a bit further than sites 74, 75, and 76.

--The other tent area is Fortress Cliff. Most of those sites are pretty close to each other. The best sites there might be 35, 36, and 37. This area is further from the rest rooms and showers.

-- Cabins.

The park has three rustic cabins. They are near the entrance. I just tried to reserve one of these but the web sites said they were unavailable. :-(

Maybe one of you all got them. :)

They also have four things they call cow camp cabins. These are kind of neat looking. No bath or kitchen, and bring your own linens or sleeping bags. They are very close to the Cactus tent camping area. Rest room and showers are close by.

-- There is one bed and breakfast in Canyon. I didn't get the name. Five miles north on I-27 is a Days Inn. Slightly more parking than the Holiday Inn but not much. Might be cheaper, but I didn't inquire. Basically, another box.

Without going all the way into Amarillo, I found only one other possibility, and this would only be for a few "souls" of the proper temperment.

Canyon has a monestary that has eight rooms for guests! Shared bath and continental breakfast. Almost no parking.

-- I don't have anything else to report about accommodations. This should probably go somewhere else, but since I'm here...

In the park, the Cottonwood day use area has a large rectangular parking lot that could accommodate all of us. There are picnic tables, though not close together. it is close to the Cactus tent area, and just a bit further from the cow camp cabins. Seems like it would be ideal for a group picnic.

Also, right outside the entrance to the park is an outfit that offers jeep tours into the canyon (probably not the park). I didn't check with them, this just comes from their brochure. It says they offer jeep tours to their camp and an authentic chuck wagon breakfast. I have not even looked at their web site, but here it is if anyone is interested: www.theelkinsranch.com

I didn't do a thorough search, but I didn't see anyplace in Canyon that looked good for a group dinner. I ate at a Mexican Food place that might be able to handle a big group but we would take up more than half of it. Plus, I wasn't all that impressed with the food.

For group dinner, I know of nothing better to suggest than the Big Tex Steak House in Amarillo.

That's all folks!

Back