• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rhino/Linex bed liner coating

bryker

Talking with a mbr on the weekend at the NF GTG i got the idea of getting my cladding coveres with Rhino bed liner stuff. the shop I am dealing with is thinking about it and is checking with rhino, to see what they think, i guess.

What do you think?

i have seen many vehicles that have had the bed liner sprayed in places other than the bed. the most interesting one has to be this Toyota Tacoma i saw that was completely Line-X'ed. the whole truck. completely. it looked cool. had to be expensive. no more worry about dings. no more waxing. no more detailed washing.
as for you i would suggest going with Line-X. Line-X has different types of textures that can be used. as well as colors. most of all i think it is a better product when compared to Rhino.
you could get the traditional rough surface, or get the smooth rubberized surface.

There was a pic somewhere around here with an Av that had the Line-X ont he cladding. It was taken at a show.

I am considering this route.

PUNISHER said:
i have seen many vehicles that have had the bed liner sprayed in places other than the bed. the most interesting one has to be this Toyota Tacoma i saw that was completely Line-X'ed. the whole truck. completely. it looked cool. had to be expensive. no more worry about dings. no more waxing. no more detailed washing.
as for you i would suggest going with Line-X. Line-X has different types of textures that can be used. as well as colors. most of all i think it is a better product when compared to Rhino.
you could get the traditional rough surface, or get the smooth rubberized surface.

I spoke to my local Line-X dealer and he would NOT recommend doing it. He said it would not stick on plastic. Any thoughts?

bryker said:
I spoke to my local Line-X dealer and he would recommend doing it. He said it would not stick on plastic. Any thoughts?

Why would he recommend doing it if it wouldn't stick on plastic? ;)

Seriously, I know a guy that had a Jeep done in Line-X from top to bottom (well, not the windshield but you know what I mean) and it stuck fine, even to the plastic pieces like the fender flares and misc plastic trim. He sanded everything then used some kind of "Liquid Sandpaper" to promote adhesion.

I wouldn't try it on my Av first but it might be worth getting a second opinion. Also, as far as spray-in liners go, Line-X in my humble opinion is head and shoulders above anything else. Cool stuff. (y)

Joe

Joe Pollick said:
I wouldn't try it on my Av first but it might be worth getting a second opinion.

Joe

I agree, sounds pretty cool but I would not want to be the first to do it too many ??? ??? ???

Go for it. I've seen it done with other products on other members panels, and haven't heard any complaints.

What would the cost be to have it done?

I am gonna try on my bed panels. I bought them used and they are all scratched up. Good candidates for a test though.
BB

The Line-X dealer does not even want to try it out. All he was talking about was to spray my box. At the least the Rhino dealer is looking into it, talking about taking all the cladding off, in order to do it right, finding out about how to prep it and all that.
Of course there would be no warranty on this, but we will see what he comes up with when he calls me tomorrow.

I don' see why rhino won't stick, not to mention line-x. I had rhino do my truckbed trailer ( they said they'd practally do anything). I too specifically asked line-x about the cladding and got the same response that it won't stick. While doing my homework, I had talked to a reputable body shop and have set up an appointment to have my cladding painted.

Red,

Do you have pics of your truck posted someplace? It sounds like you've done a heck of a lot of work on it.

Hey Oviedo,

No, not yet. I'm trying to nail down the wife's schedule. We're not sure where she's going to be so consequently, not sure if she's going to need the truck.

kodio said:
Hey Oviedo,

No, not yet. I'm trying to nail down the wife's schedule. We're not sure where she's going to be so consequently, not sure if she's going to need the truck.

You let your wife drive your AV? :eek: :eek: Man, you need to come hang with us, we will get that straightened out >:D

I was thinking about the possibility of using Rhino or Line-x on both the bed and the under-carriage. It seems like the under-carriage would be a good investment, due to all the salt us northerners have in the winter. It would really help my AV, because the under-carriage is currently covered w/ rust :E: :8:. So I am going to powerwash it, then put a rust protectant on it, and then either Rhino line it or get line-x.

-James. :cool:

OviedoAV said:
You let your wife drive your AV? :eek: :eek: Man, you need to come hang with us, we will get that straightened out >:D

Ha! One day I'll introduce you to my wife.

Actually we get over by you a few times a year. I have a cousin that lives in Tuskawilla.

I decided to Line X a try and gave them my front mudflaps to spray. I should get it back on tuesday and hope to post some pics then. we will see how they hold up before I will all the cladding. It will not be cheap though.

I use to be an Ultimate Lining Dealer, and from experience if the surface isn't prepared perfectly, it will over time peel off. It's like a plastic rubber material. This becomes a problem with your cladding, because it would have to be almost smoothed completely in order to get proper adhesion. Could it work otherwise ? Yes. The likelyhood of it lasting a year, not very good. Also the chemical bonding process generated tremendous heat, you may run the risk of warping or damaging the plastic. Take the first step, contact Rhino directly, not a dealer and ask.

bryker said:
I decided to Line X a try and gave them my front mudflaps to spray. I should get it back on tuesday and hope to post some pics then. we will see how they hold up before I will all the cladding. It will not be cheap though.

Bryker, was those parts from the rental unit! >:D

I think Nats should look into the Line X for the front bumper cladding, you know how hard that snow is up there in Kirby ski hills! >:D

i dont have cladding but i was thinking of puting it on the side of the truck so it would act like cladding and also on the front and rear bumper. do u think this would work

just so you guys know what i was talking about. and how i would like it to look on the side. here is some photoshop.. before and after
what do you think and how much do you think something like this would cost

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 165
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 166
Back