• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What are the best MODs for increased MPG??

AvyGuy Wannabe

Now that I have made my Avy look and sound GREAT, I am looking for ways to increase my MPG. You can see my mods at the bottom, anysuggestions???? ???

Gary _@^

;Dthe best mod for saving gas is as follows..use your left foot,when you come to a hill and you need to go down it ,,depress the clutch,,see photo,,and with your right hand lift the gear shift,,see photo,,and put it in neutral,,called coasting,,years ago they called it free wheeling...if you live where there are no hills,,move to where there are some..your humble man in the field abuelito

;Doh my friend,,clean out your truck,get rid of everything you dont need,lighten your truck and get rid of them chrome nuts hanging off the back of your truck..your humble servant in the field abuelito

I'm leaning towards the theory that no modifications, outside of moderating driving habits, will improve gas mileage on these engines :cautious:

I've found that parking my Avalanche in my driveway and not going anywhere on the weekends has resulted in dramatic drop in my fuel costs...

RichUF said:
I'm leaning towards the theory that no modifications, outside of moderating driving habits, will improve gas mileage on these engines :cautious:

I have to agree, if Chevy could make it get better gas mileage you know they would.

But I've found a VW Jetta tends to get over 300 Miles on 1 tank of gas and I can fill it up for under 25 Dollars. Has Dramatically cut my fuel cost. ;D

JW

If you have adjustable pedals move them all the way down so you can't use full throttle.
If you don't have adjustable pedals mount a block under the pedal to get the same result.
Something that can actually help, make sure your tires are properly inflated.

I've been told that most thing you do that will increase Horse Power will lower MPG. For example, more air in and less restrivtive air out. Anybody know for sure?

Well, plain and simple fact here is this... You increase the amount of air coming in and the ECU will add more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio correct. I think the air/fuel ratio is 14.1 or 16.1, something like that...

JW said:
I have to agree, if Chevy could make it get better gas mileage you know they would.

But I've found a VW Jetta tends to get over 300 Miles on 1 tank of gas and I can fill it up for under 25 Dollars. Has Dramatically cut my fuel cost. ;D

JW

that 1.8T is funny...low twenties around town :cautious: but 30+ @ 80mph >:D guess has something to do with the "T" part :cool:

I agree on the no mods thing, I have a stock 02, haven't added a thing and I get around 20 or more MPG on the highway. I also asked before if anyone thought that changing the height of the front end by cranking up the torsion bars would have any effect. I would think that they have that serious rake to them for aerodynamics, and wonder if I crank up my front end an inch or so if my mileage would go down. Also, I have noticed a slight difference in the grade of gasoline that I use, if I use premium or plus and an additive the truck runs better and gets better economy....as long as I don't keep my foot into it and drive moderately. Also, I have noticed that I get the best highway mileage when I keep it just at or below 2K RPMs.

I would think that they have that serious rake to them for aerodynamics

I would doubt that's the reason...probably someone's idea of looking "tough"

Was thinking the rake in front might also have to do with the whole bumper height thing and us squishing those little econo tin cans that I would not be caught dead in.

The best thing that I have done on my Av and on every other car/truck I've owned to improve MPG was to install a K&N filter and open up the exhaust(Flowmasters, straightpipes, no cat, headers, H-pipe, high flow cat.................). Ignition systems, spark plugs/wires.
I can tell more of a difference on the highway. Other things that I have noticed are the type of tires(street/offroad/nobby). Tire pressure, new tires, balancing, and alignment. These all will affect MPG. Size of the tire versus gear ratio.
And most of all.............DRIVING HABITS! Do you use all of your horsepower? If so, you will use all of your gas also!

Since there seems to be some demand for better MPG around here, I'm gonna offer a solution.

I have plenty of gas economy for my tastes, 17.9 or so (up from 17.5 when I switched to Mobil 1 (y) ) and wouldn't mind even 5 or 6 MPG if the performance was better, sooooo:

Anyone that is looking for better economy, I'm willing to trade. Just send me your extra horsepower and torque and I'll give you a few of my extra MPG. This offer only stands until I get to around 4 MPG or so, but by then I should be pushing 450 HP and 520 ft/lbs of torque and will be one happy dude.

Just my economy is okay but power rules thoughts,
Joe

This topic has come up before and I remember a while back someone has suggested that the best mod you can do to improve your gas mileage was to attach an egg to the gas pedal. ;D

With modding comes discipline... By this I mean that by adding power you now need less throttle to get up to speed.

Example: Normal driving accelerating up to speed
Stock Motor) You press the pedal down half way.

Modded Motor) You should now only press the petal 1/3 of the way down to achieve the same acceleration rate.

The real goal of adding power is to have it when you need it and so the motor will not have to work as hard to hold your speed and accelerate. No one needs 400hp to go to the super market (ok some do >:D) but, you will want that power when towing and off-roading. So, you use the power only when needed and your MPG WILL go up!!!

Get it? Good!!! (y)

Chief said:
I've found that parking my Avalanche in my driveway and not going anywhere on the weekends has resulted in dramatic drop in my fuel costs...

have not drove my AV in about 6 weeks. that's the best gas mileage i have had since i have had it.
sorry to say that there is not much you can do that will save money on gas. aside from the obvious that was mentioned... lighten up on the foot, and take out any heavy items that are not needed.
using a programmer may get you some savings. then you have to weigh the cost of the programmer vs. the money saved. it may take some time for you to save money from better gas mileage to equal that of the cost to buy programmer. just my $.02.

Back