• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'03 and newer sub boxes

Beans10

I originally made custom boxes for myself to fit under the rear seats - they sounded terrible! Not enough room for the 10" subs to "work" just right. I'm not positive but the '03 and '04 Avy has a different rear seat set up than the older Avy's. It will only accomadate one box on the driver's side which will allow you to put your amp behind the passenger side. This is an inexpensive way to get some bass without dropping some bills for a mid gate replacement. The boxes I made were 11W X 11L X 6H that tapered down to the bottom being 10W X 10L. I just recieved a box that I bought off e-bay item#5700404039 and it sounds GREAT. Box needed to be cut in the back corner a little so it wouold pass by a bolt for the seat but the cut is not visible after the box sits down where it should.

Would it be this box that you bought, or something similar?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50565&item=3094384928&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Exactly how does it sound? Is it loud and does it allow you to hear really low bass frequencies? Also what sub are you using. Any info would be appreciated.....and pics would be great.

yes - that is it. It sounds great! I have the Bose system in my truck. I flooped it out and put in a Sony head unit and used a gadget interfacing the Sony and Bose system. This has to be done, if not, the Bose system will not allow full response from your aftermarket head unit. It will work but you'll be limited to the sound. The Bose system has "pre-set" limits. Once you interface the head unit with the Bose you "hear" the difference. I keep the bass down on the Bose speakers and make up for it thru the sub. My head unit has seperate sub outs with a seperate volume controll for the amp. With only one 10" I thought it might not carry the bass I wanted but it does. Only have a inexpensive Pyle Driver sub in it now, wanted to hear if the box sounded good enough before I spent the money on a good sub.

;)

Thought that was it.....Nice truck by the way....Nice color!

I was thinking about getting that box just to see what it sounds like. I've got the 4 banger and it sounds great...I'm just experimenting around with other set ups now, because bass is like a disease.....or a drug habit....always wanting more.....don't think anyone would want more of a disease..... :-X

So you would definitely recommend that enclosure huh? What about low bass....like in a lot of rap music....does it hit those notes?

I listen to everything from Country to rap and the box sounds great. It will carry all the low you want if your sub can hold it and it'll hit hard on the songs that your wanting it to.

Love the look of your Avy - not just good but great color. Hate trying to keep it clean but I bought that Mr Clean car washer and for any black or dark colors that will show water spots it's a "gotta have"! Unbelievable how good it works.

Yep, more bass is a disease.
However, I would really really like the JL midgate.
If it ever ever becomes available to public.

theres plenty of room for 2 10's to work. your not doing it right, cause i did it with two huge 10's...think outside the box ;D

The Dude said:
theres plenty of room for 2 10's to work. your not doing it right, cause i did it with two huge 10's...think outside the box ;D

In your 02 yes..... the seat frame is different between the 02 and 03.......

I made 2 10'' Rockford fosgate Hx2's fit in my 2004 Avy!!! I bought the one piece box off of ebay, and had to customize it a little bit, but it fits under the rear seats!! It also puonds out the bass!!! I have a RF 801X amp pushing the two 10''s and it sounds great!!! I need to post pics on here for you guys!!!

Here is the link to the box on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50565&item=3094035256

Here is the link to the amp I bought....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39744&item=3089285038

Here is the link to the speakers that I bought.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39774&item=3089980323

with these magnets being so big, I had to use a dremel to sand out the bottom of the box so that the speakers would fit flush in the box.

bluelanche said:
Here is the link to the speakers that I bought.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39774&item=3089980323

with these magnets being so big, I had to use a dremel to sand out the bottom of the box so that the speakers would fit flush in the box.

Sounds great.....but how did you have to modify the box. And do you have any pictures of your installation. I'd like to see how you made it happen.

Blackbeauty,

I had to sand down the inside of the speaker box, where the magent was hitting the bottom of the inside of the box. I used a dremel and it took it down just enough. If you look at the specs on the speaker, I think they called for 5.5 '' mounting depth, and the depth of the box was like an 1/8''-1/4'' to shallow so I sanded it down. Yeas, I will take pics, and post them. Also, I had to sand down the exterior of the box so that it would fit between teh seat brackets. I only had to sand 1/4'' total on that though.

Any pics on this yet????
Also where did you mount the amp, etc?

I'm very interested in this setup as well.....

I agree with the Mr. Clean comment. I was skeptical when I used it and didn't like that when I washed a new area I accidently got water on clean areas, but I just went over it with the deionized water and didn't have one single water spot. Works amazing.

Back