Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/01/14 09:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XM Radio Woes  (Read 17301 times)
aetatis

WWW Awards
« Reply #25 on: 03/26/04 10:42 PM »

Just to add my 2 cents I haven't had any problems in GA.

The big test will be the 1200 mile trek back to the hinterlands
of NH! Then I will see just how great XM is...

Aetatis.

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #26 on: 03/27/04 07:49 AM »

aetatis

When will you be in NH?  We are having a mini GTG on April 17th in southern NH

03' Z-71:  Drk Grn Met: Drv Conv Pckg, XM, OnStar, Sunroof, 10-way Heat Lthr Seats, Bose, Assist Steps, GND Effects Pckg, Roof Rack, Trlr Pckg, MODS: Maglite, Hardwire RADAR, Wheel Well Plug, WeatherTech Bug Shield, Bowtie by "Carriles", Silverstars-Fog/DRL/Signals, Rod Mod Remote Tailgate Lock, Zaino, HIDs in Lows.
Chief
Charter Member

Go team Venture!!!

WWW Awards
« Reply #27 on: 04/12/04 02:50 PM »

I'm 99.9% sure I have fixed my problem, and with the most unlikely of solutions.

Gave my Avalanche the big bath the weekend before Easter.  Generally I don't climb up on the cargo panels to wipe them down along with the roof, but the pollen is flying (I awoke to a blue with lime green fleck Avy this morning) and it had dried on the back panels.

While up there I gave the roof a good wipe down, something it hadn't had all winter.  This included getting the XM Radio antenna.  Well surprise, surprise, surprise.  Although there wasn't visible crud on the antenna it seems as though wiping everything down up there did the trick.  100% coverage as good as day one.  Drove to Federal Way and back yesterday no issues - no issues in the Edmonds bowl.

I can only figure there was some sort of particle pollution on the roof that was blocking the signal OR there was a local area issue.  There just isn't any other logical explanation for the sudden healing of the system.

2002 Z-71, Indigo blue, Graphite leather - purchased 12/21/01 traded in 04/13/05

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, Galaxy silver, gray leather - purchased 4/13/05 traded in 05/23/09 - second fastest stock L67 powered Grand Prix in North America

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Onyx Leather, Sunroof, 35% tint, bass bias mod, 1/2 washer exhaust mod, 91 Octane Superchips Cortex tune

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport SWB, graphite, gray cloth, bone stock winter beater
SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #28 on: 05/08/04 08:44 PM »

If the signal cutout plagues you, and you have an older antenna, try the newer type found on the '04's: P/N 15205583. It's supposedly improved, but to what extent, I don't yet know. Maybe just "Bigger - Better - Faster - Stronger"... ?

Per GM Tech LinK:

New Antenna Technology
Beginning with the 2004 model year, a new XM antenna is being installed on some vehicles (fig. 7). The list includes Avalanche, Denali, Denali XL, Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT, Sierra, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, and Yukon XL. The DeVille, Seville, Bonneville, and LeSabre will switch to this new antenna mid-year. And also mid-year, the 2004 Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XUV, Rainier, TrailBlazer, and TrailBlazer EXT will switch to a different new antenna (fig. Cool.

The XM antenna used in the 2002-03 model years included two different elements, one to receive signals from the satellites, and a second one to receive signals from the ground repeaters. Two coax cables were required. The new antennas use one element to receive both sets of signals, and only one coax cable is required.

TIP: The two types of antenna cannot be interchanged in service.

03' Z-71:  Drk Grn Met: Drv Conv Pckg, XM, OnStar, Sunroof, 10-way Heat Lthr Seats, Bose, Assist Steps, GND Effects Pckg, Roof Rack, Trlr Pckg, MODS: Maglite, Hardwire RADAR, Wheel Well Plug, WeatherTech Bug Shield, Bowtie by "Carriles", Silverstars-Fog/DRL/Signals, Rod Mod Remote Tailgate Lock, Zaino, HIDs in Lows.
sperry
Silent Avalanche - In Memorial

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #29 on: 05/09/04 09:16 AM »

I missed that "tip" part goofy  .`Good thing you didn't!

I wonder if it's the hole pattern or the `04 module has the two antenna inputs internally.

When you split, there's losses. In order to minimize this, they no doubt they did this because it was the easiest, most practical approach.

So, the later antenna may not really work with the earlier XM modules...

’03  Z71 3:73 LPM Cladded. Fact. Roof Rack, TowPk, XM, Gen 6.2 OnStar, leather & heated/mem. Delphi OEM (UM8 INR Nav System W/Bose Luxury audio). BkUp Cam & entertainment on Nav . DIC, DIO’d Esc. Platinum cluster, Console DVD W/3 Vizlogic 7” 16:9 (two in articultng. '02 HR's & one in pass. visor), 3  A/V inputs/FM headph's. SS893 Fogs, Amber DRL's, All4onHi, All4OnBrake.
SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #30 on: 05/09/04 11:31 AM »

Sperry:

That's what I am thinking, not sure it can work with earlier version. Someone on the site has a factory XM w/Bose system on auction at eBay.  What would we need to see to determine if the inputs are the same?

The CAFCNA member has all his parts pulled out.  Maybe we can ask him for a photo of the input jack on the XM RX?  Thoughts?

edit:  I just found two CAFCNA members with their systems removed, what should we ask them?  ( I know nothing about electronics)

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=33;action=display;threadid=25354;start=msg394920#msg394920

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=33;action=display;threadid=26640;start=msg416837#msg416837
« Last Edit: 05/09/04 11:42 AM by SpottyJ » Logged

Ambalanche

I love my 5th Ambalanche!

Awards
« Reply #31 on: 05/09/04 12:13 PM »

No problems here, sometimes if I go under some thick oak trees I'll loose the signal for a second, but other than that it's cool!  chevy

My Fith AV!
'07 Chevy Avalanche Black Z71
LT3, Z71Pkg, Nav,Bose, Backup Camera, Roof, Rear Entertainment, Rack & Bars, Black w/Ebony-Light Titanium interior.
I had 0ne of the first in Mobile, Al.'02 Cladded Indigo Blue Z-66. Loved the Stares I got, now I'm not as radical, but still cool! ;-)~ Just moved back to Pensacola, Fl.
SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #32 on: 05/09/04 02:46 PM »

I live in New Hampshire and my XM cuts out during the summer (leaves on) all the time, in the winter just a few places here and there.  I was surprised that trees would cause cut out.  My FM/AM RX don't have this problem.

sperry

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 05/09/04 09:03 PM »

Thanx Spotty...
 I followed up on the pm - somewhat.

I noticed the guy selling that HU on E-bay saying it doesn't have to be unlocked... Hmmmm, well ok then.
 I wonder when the buyer will pop up here with the HU & XM unlock questions..?

’03  Z71 3:73 LPM Cladded. Fact. Roof Rack, TowPk, XM, Gen 6.2 OnStar, leather & heated/mem. Delphi OEM (UM8 INR Nav System W/Bose Luxury audio). BkUp Cam & entertainment on Nav . DIC, DIO’d Esc. Platinum cluster, Console DVD W/3 Vizlogic 7” 16:9 (two in articultng. '02 HR's & one in pass. visor), 3  A/V inputs/FM headph's. SS893 Fogs, Amber DRL's, All4onHi, All4OnBrake.
SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #34 on: 06/21/04 09:58 PM »

Sperry:

An observation I made:  I have an '03 w/ XM.  Cuts outs often in the same areas on my daily commute.  Today I drove an '04 Avalanche same route and no XM cut out.  So, in my limited testing, the '04 XM antenna receives better than the '03 antenna.  What do you think about swapping an 03 antenna w/ an '04 antenna?

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: 06/22/04 05:08 AM by SpottyJ » Logged

sperry

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #35 on: 06/21/04 11:00 PM »

I looked at the prints of the `03 & `04 XM module connections (Av.). Although they have different document numbers, the antenna connections are the same on each print!
I looked at an `04 car (Grand Prix) XM print and it had a dual cable antenna... Figure that! Huh

sperry

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #36 on: 06/21/04 11:23 PM »

This is the Grand Prix's print:

« Last Edit: 05/30/05 04:03 PM by sperry » Logged

sperry

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #37 on: 06/21/04 11:28 PM »

This is the `04 Av's XM receiver print:

sperry

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 06/21/04 11:40 PM »

This is the `03 Av XM print...

For those of you who don't know yet, you click on the image's link to make them mo' bigerer....!

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #39 on: 06/22/04 08:49 AM »

Sperry:

Here is an under headliner pic of an '04 XM Antenna Mount.  Note, just one brown wire coming from antenna.  Any idea if an '04 antenna will fit an "03?  I don't have pics of an '03 mount.
« Last Edit: 06/22/04 08:50 AM by SpottyJ » Logged

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #40 on: 06/22/04 08:53 AM »

Here is where the wire of the 2004 model enters the XM Box behind the glove box.
« Last Edit: 06/22/04 09:07 AM by SpottyJ » Logged

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #41 on: 06/22/04 08:54 AM »

Here is the end of the plug.

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #42 on: 06/22/04 08:58 AM »

The XM Box (Delphi) on this '04 is Part No:15125061 (I think, I was reading via a mirror). goofy

The Number on a UPC type sticker on the brown antenna wire had:  151224307.

Here is a shot of an '04 Avalanche antenna from the outside.

« Last Edit: 06/23/04 06:30 AM by SpottyJ » Logged

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #43 on: 06/22/04 09:03 AM »

The '03 may have one or two wires, the '04 has one wire coming from the antenna.  I believe the single '04 antenna/wire provides better reception (based on my one day test).

Need to know if '04 antenna will mount to roof of '03?

Need to know if '04 antenna cord will plug into '03 XM Box.

And is that all there is to it?

Here is the '03 from a GM Teck Link Photo.

« Last Edit: 06/23/04 06:32 AM by SpottyJ » Logged

sperry

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #44 on: 06/22/04 08:10 PM »

Hmmmm, anyone want to pull their `03  headliner down?
that `04 peek is certainly a single coax.

I can see by the fact that an `03 to `04 comparison had a difference, that it's enough to look into this further.

Well, judging by the prints, they're the same type of connection. It's the cars that changed.
However, I would have to contact a tech at my dealer and see if he remembers. I want to run an OnStar question past him anyway, so I'll lump this in..

I presume you have both part numbers; at least the `04 P/N? (I'd like to compare notes if you retrieved it elsewhere.)

Lots of conflicting info now..   Undecided

BTW do you know the build date of that `04?

sperry

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #45 on: 06/22/04 08:16 PM »

That's looks exactly like an SMB connector, embedded into a GM connector shell.

The antenna is different than the ones I've seen on `04's (Av's) too.. Now, since there is a pigtailed wire that only shows on the car schematic, are we sure this isn't that car one? (The techlink one.)
« Last Edit: 06/22/04 08:20 PM by sperry » Logged

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #46 on: 06/23/04 06:19 AM »

I presume you have both part numbers; at least the `04 P/N? (I'd like to compare notes if you retrieved it elsewhere.)

Lots of conflicting info now..   Undecided

BTW do you know the build date of that `04?

Sperry:

The limited part numbers I have are from reading the parts on this '04 Avalanche.  As I said I could be off on the numbers of the '04 XM Box as it was installed and was reading upside down with a mirror!  But, I belive I have it correct goofy

The build date -  Don't have, except to say the cargo covers had a February 2004 manufacture sticker on them, the truck was delivered in March 2004.  That's as close as I can get to a build date.  I no longer have access to the truck.
« Last Edit: 06/23/04 06:36 AM by SpottyJ » Logged

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #47 on: 06/23/04 06:23 AM »

That's looks exactly like an SMB connector, embedded into a GM connector shell.

Sperry:

Don't know what an SMB connector is, can you help me out?

The antenna is different than the ones I've seen on `04's (Av's) too.. Now, since there is a pigtailed wire that only shows on the car schematic, are we sure this isn't that car one? (The techlink one.)

Sperry:

The Techlink one, I cannot be sure what model/version/vehicle that is for.

The outside cover of the antenna on the techkink photo looks like my '03 antenna.  The '04s have a more box shape,  see the pic I posted above.  The '03s have the fin in the middle.

To all:

Can anyone out there confirm if an '03 XM antenna has one or two leads coming from the antenna? Someone must have pulled their headliner.
« Last Edit: 06/23/04 06:27 AM by SpottyJ » Logged

sperry

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #48 on: 06/23/04 07:36 AM »

The `04's Ive seen was a sharkfin like the `03's but had a higher base section like in the photo, all moulded together.

The observation of the connector type was just the center metallic part, not the green plastic retainer. That connector appears as if it's an SMB connector.

A PDF of some SMB connectors

SMB's are one of several types of snap-on RF small cable connectors, commonly used in lower power microwave/UHF devices.

Good to use if one must adjust cable length or occasionally disconnect device parts. Another "similar use" connector (SMA) is an incompatable thread-on type for more secure connections.

SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #49 on: 06/23/04 06:19 PM »

The `04's Ive seen was a sharkfin like the `03's but had a higher base section like in the photo, all moulded together.

I have only seen the '04s like the pic I posted above on the silver Avalanche.

The observation of the connector type was just the center metallic part, not the green plastic retainer. That connector appears as if it's an SMB connector.  

I think the one in my photo from the '04 is Yellow.

As usual, thanks Sperry for the info, and link to a SMB.  Learn more everyday.

I would love to figure this one out so I, and others, can improve their reception of their XM receivers.  Living in New Hampshire (fringe area/few repeaters/poor satellite angle) makes for frequent cutouts.
« Last Edit: 06/23/04 06:21 PM by SpottyJ » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: